Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Advice about half check collars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Advice about half check collars Reply with quote

Hi

I have bought a half check collar, but am not sure if I'm using or have fitted it correctly. Unless the ring sits right at the back of her neck, the chain doesn't release when the lead goes loose, so it's just tight all the time, which defeats the point of it, and just makes Carrie pull all the more.

There doesn't seem to be a way of ensuring that it sits at the back of her neck all the time. Am I doing something wrong perhaps?

Also, when I looked on the internet for advice about fitting and using this type of collar, there were LOADS of scare stories about half checks with plastic fastenings (which this one has) snapping, and dogs escaping.

Not sure what to do now. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable half check which I could perhaps order from the web?

Thanks very much

Jane
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice about half check collars Reply with quote

Hi Jane,

Is the one you have pets at homes own brand one? if so we have that in a medium for Z and he wore it for atleast a year (if not a lil longer) with no problems with the plastic fastening, this was every day but more so he couldn't slip out of it than to stop him pulling, although it has had a lot of pressure put on it quite a few times with no issues... only reason not using it still is took it off one day forgot where we put it and had to use spare flat collar, found it now but he's fine with the flat collar for now...
We have a leather and brass one for Kodi... got one for Z too but was too big but should fit Quinn when he is older Very Happy, They are from
http://www.luxwaycanine.co.uk/

Also this site has a few different ones... on the link they have nylon ones with patterns and in different colours, but they also have a few under the collar section that are just plain black/blue/red or green... Not ordered anything from them yet but will do in the future as the prices are quite good even with shipping

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/productlist.asp?catid=36

If you are worried about it breaking and her escaping then you could use one of the halti links (first thing on the pet-supermarket link) and attach to a back up collar, thats what we do although we usually have the half-check(or fursavers) as the back up. We got our halti link things in our vet's but pets at home used to have them, not sure if they still do or not. If they don't could check if our vet's have any left, don't think I saw any when we were in weighing Quinn this morning but they have moved stuff around so they could have them still.

As for the fit I believe it should be fitted so as when you check her there is roughly a one inch gap between the two rings the chain goes through... But could be wrong as not actually used one as a non-pull collar for a while... just going to take Z a walk so will put it on him and try the inch thing and see if it works...

For the sitting at the back of the neck don't think any of ours ever did when we did use them to stop pulling but will see what happens on the walk just now and report back

Megan

p.s. sorry if the post is a bit muddled up, been out with pup all day so quite tired lol
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane,
Took Z a walk on just the half-check, had it so when I checked him, the two rings were about an inch apart and seemed to work, preferred having it to the side of his neck rather than back but we always walk him on our left side, also a quick check to the side rather than back seemed to work with him.... though still managed an effective check with it at the back and front of his neck.
But I'm use to using one as we used one on our collie for about 3 years (stopped her pulling most of the time) and it kinda just came back to me easily tonight,

So maybe just need to practice with it a little to figure out the right position and level of check etc for yourself and Carrie?
and remember to praise her after a check when shes back to a loose lead or in at heel whichever one it is you'd prefer, even if it's just for a second or two at first, it will click in her head that you want her walking next to you not pulling you, if you are consistent with the check and praise and with where you want her walking.

Hope this helps you, If anything isn't clear or you have other questions let me know and will try and answer as best I can, though not an expert just going on experience with my own dogs Smile

Megan
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all this really useful advice.

What a great idea to have a backup collar - you just never know what might happen when you're out with a young dog!

Had a few more walks with Carrie since posting yesterday, and am starting to find it a bit easier. I am wondering if I've got the wrong size though (her neck is smaller than I'd thought when I bought it), so may go back to Pet at Home and ask them to check it for me. I should really have taken her with me, but she gets very excited when near to the treats section, and it seemed a lot easier to go by myself...!

You sound like you have your hands full with all your pups!

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to post advice for me and Carrie. I will definitely take a look at the web links and see what's available.

Jane
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jane

No problem, Glad you found it useful.

Yup back up collars are great, have helped pretty much save Rose a few times when one of her collars has popped off next to a main road (she use to try and herd cars Rolling Eyes).

Glad you are starting to find it easier, it will probably take a little while for both of you and Carrie to get use to it, took us about a month or so when we first started using it with Rose, but she was/is really stubborn Laughing
If you haven't went back to pets at home yet then you could take her with you but leave her in the car and ask one of the staff to come out and check it for you (the one in falkirk offered to do this before when we were getting Kodi a halti but we had used one before so didn't take them up on it)... Just check that they are checking it from a no-pull point of veiw not a so it doesn't slip over her head pov as peoples views on how they should be used differ a wee bit.

Carrie's-Mum wrote:
You sound like you have your hands full with all your pups!

Not really lol, they are all pretty good in the house and on walks (Kodi is sometimes a pain on walks as he doesn't like some dogs as he's been attacked quite a few times in the past so will bark/growl and put a big show on [he's never actually hurt/bitten/attacked another dog, he just tries to make himself look even bigger so they won't try to do anything - as they say the best defense is a good offense] but I don't blame him, just wish other people would have been more responsible and kept their dog's on leads when they knew they have issues with other dogs). He is getting better though but it's a long process to fix the issues caused by other people and their dogs, Thankfully he is still great with dogs he knows and loves kids and people etc and is the best dog in the house, only one that doesn't need to be crated at night Laughing

It was no trouble at all glad I could help in some way Smile Any other questions about the collar let me know and will do my best to answer Smile

Megan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: