Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Doesn't want to go I. Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Pictures of Our Pets and Our Walks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jean
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Doesn't want to go I. Car Reply with quote

John I meant to ask yesterday. How do I stop breath pulling way when I'm leading her to car. She pulls Nd drops to the ground. I end up lifting her which I won't be able to do for much longer s she's growing so fast. Tried being really calm and trying to entice with chews but she's not interested. She's great once she's in car. Sits or lies calmly. Any suggestions?
Jean
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i know a lab who doese that, its a pain.

have you tried taking her a short loop round the car or car park then get her fave toy and chuck it in the car.

or start giving her dinner in the car so she hase to go in, and she leans that she gets good thing in the car.

Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo does that with my husbands car but not with mine. I don't know why because she really loves going in my car. If I have to use my husbands car, I have to lift her in and although she is not the biggest German Shepherd in the world, it's really difficult. I daresay it gives the neighbours a laugh though watching a wee fat woman trying to lift a big lump of a dog into the back of a jeep. She is fine once she is in but lunges to get out as soon as the tailgate is opened. I wondered if it might be the jump up is a bit daunting for her. My car is a 7 seater that we keep the back 2 seats folded and use only when needed so I open the back door instead of the tailgate and fold the nearest seat forward so her first step up is at floor level then she steps up and through to the back. I've tried walking round the car then climbing in myself first and leading her in behind me on a slack lead. It can take a while not moving the dog forward until it is comfortable to. Then once it is in, lots of praise and a treat, then straight back out again and just repeating over and over. That hasn't worked for Cleo but it has with some rescue dogs I have transported who weren't keen on the car although in most of those cases, once they are in, that's it. If they have been very difficult to get in, I keep them there as I have to get them from A to B. I think it doesn't work with Cleo because she senses my frustration which has a negative effect on her and I probably give in a bit too easy and head for my car---wrong move, I know but the easier option.
My first reactions with Cleo was to pull forward harder than she pulled back which didn't work. It just seemed to make her pull harder in reverse.
I know how frustrating it can be.
Hope this helps
Sharon
jean
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for ideas on making getting into car easier with breagha . Will try them out a d let u know how it goes
[quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Pictures of Our Pets and Our Walks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: