Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Feeding a sick puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John and Liz Brannan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Feeding a sick puppy Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone help with some advice about how much and how often to feed our five month German Shepherd who has had a bout of sickness and diarrhoea and has to be fed a bland diet for a few days , we've been giving him chicken and rice but are no sure how much of each to give him, he seems to be hungry all the time although we worry we,re giving him too much.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I would probably offer 1 people serving of rice (about 90 grams) with some boiled chicken, maybe half a breast of chicken 3 or 4 times a day. Arden Grange dog food is also very digestible of you can get it. It is made from only human grade ingredients.
I am in Coatbridge too.-Carnbroe.
John and Liz Brannan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Feeding a sick puppy Reply with quote

Hi Sharon

Thank you for your reply and for your welcome to the Forum.

As we suspected we are giving Torin a bit too much to eat and of course he is eating it and looking for more !!!

What you are saying is more in line with what dog owning members of our family have said. We didn't want Torin to be hungry but perhaps we have to be cruel to be kind. Almost immediately after eating his meal he starts whimpering for his next one and he gets quite grumpy as time goes on but we will just have to listen to him.

We have tried twice in the recent past to get him on to 3 meals per day and he has developed tummy upsets so while he is going through this we are giving him 4 meals a day .

We live in a little place called Annathill which is between Coatbridge and Cumbernauld. W tend to go to Cumbernauld for most things because we used to live there
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
4 times per day feeding is fine. I would gradually reintroduce what you normally feed with the chicken and rice after a couple of days. Feeding guides on dog food bags are a good place to start for getting the amount right, but they are just that; a place to start. Don't worry if your dog needs a bit more or a bit less. They are all different. Their energy requirements vary also if they are going through a growth spurt. If my dogs were eating home cooked food, as they occasionally do, ( I give them whole grain rice, minced pork, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and they love it.), they would happily eat 3 or 4 times the amounts I feed them.
I feed dog food mostly. John feeds his dogs raw as do a large number of people who go to classes. I think Janis and Kendal do too. I'm sure they would happily advise you on raw feeding too if you were interested in finding out a bit more about it.
Sharon
shazzabing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: feeding Reply with quote

Hi
I have a 12mth old german shepard/husky puppy who had the same problem at about 4 mths, i was recommended arden grange and have never looked back, never had diahorrea or vommiting again and onl poos once a day which is a bonus when u have to pick it up lol.
I live in condorrat and get it from a shop in larbert (the cheapest i have found)

hope this helps

sharon and lexi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: