Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Help. Horrible neighbour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Help. Horrible neighbour Reply with quote

I have a foster dog who can bark a wee bit at night. I also have a neighbour who is a really nasty man 3 doors down from me. None of my other neighbours have a problem but 1 has contacted the council to complain that I have a dog run in my garden which I keep my dogs in and they frequently bark all night. I don't keep my dogs outside and they never bark at night but for the last 11 nights I haven't slept in my bed. I have sat in the kennel with foster dog to make sure he doesn't make a peep. He barked a couple of times during the night once but I have been with him each night since and he has been quiet. He is now intending to get a court order against me to have my dogs removed from the premises. Obviously if they go, I have to go too but any advice is greatly appreciated
David-Allan
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would setup a camcorder and record the dogs at night to prove that the dog isn't making any noise. I know in England they have to prove it by the council recording the noise during the night with an audio detector. Not sure of the laws here.

My dads neighbor has got a few German Shepard's and is a breeder and keeps the dogs in kennels in the garden and had a complaint about the noise before but nothing ever came of it. I'll see if I can ask her what the outcome was but I know she still has the dogs.

Good luck with whatever happens. I'm guessing this neighbor is just an idiot that doesn't like dogs and is just trying to get rid of them, either that there is another dog in the street that's barking.

Keep us informed as this could happen to any of us.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has dealings with me and doesn't like me outside of being a neighbour, of which the feeling is mutual. As senior member of staff in clinic one day, I had to address his rude and aggressive behaviour to one of my assistants, so I suppose he is taking great pleasure in this. He is just such an a*s*. He cycles alot and has made me have to pull the dogs off the pavement a few times to get out of his way.
I am just getting a bit frazzled not having had a proper sleep for nearly 2 weeks.
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible neighbour. What an idiot!

When Dex was a pup, I think I've said it before, I used to record him to see how he barked so I'd second the previous idea so that you have some "proof" of your own. I used to work in Northline with the council and spoke to the dog wardens most days (there are 3 of them and they're all really quite nice every time I've spoken with them) and so, I'm sure, if you phoned Northline and asked to speak to one of them over the phone they'd be happy to give you the information on what's legal and what's not. It was procedure, when I was working there (about a year and a half ago now so it might've changed) that dog barking was actually dealt with through the anti social behaviour and, in order to make a case, they need to catch your dog doing it and would have to come to the guys house with a sound monitor.

I hope the situation gets better soon. Let me know how you get on.

Cat x
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sharon you really have a lot on your plate right now... i agree i would try and set up a video camera and try and use a diary to note when barking occurred and for how long... as for you having to take the dogs off the pavement he is no child and therefore should be on the road with his cycle... to my knowledge only children are permitted on the pavement with a bike up until a certain age....he is no child!
David-Allan
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
oh sharon you really have a lot on your plate right now... i agree i would try and set up a video camera and try and use a diary to note when barking occurred and for how long... as for you having to take the dogs off the pavement he is no child and therefore should be on the road with his cycle... to my knowledge only children are permitted on the pavement with a bike up until a certain age....he is no child!

It's illegal to ride a bicycle on the pavement.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I type here on my phone, I am sitting inside the kennel while Nero is lying beside me in his bed. And so begins night 14 in the kennel for me. At least I know he's quiet when I'm there.
Breagha's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends had neighbor from hell who blasted extremely loud classical music through walls to them all night long. They contacted environmental health ( I think) who set up a sound meter in their home. It has to reach a certain reading and for a certain length of time( which it did) but still they were unable to do much about it( police were out etc ) so I don't think you have much to worry about. You certainly shouldn't have to stay out in kennels. I'd just ignore this idiot if I were you. If no other neighbor is complaining he ll be seen for what he is. A weirdo with a stinking attitude.
Jean
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is him you should be videoing - on the pavement with his bike Mad !
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Nasty neighbour came to our gate today to complain that as the drainpipe from our kennel was near the boundary with the back corner of his garden, water from it was getting into his garden and he was not happy with it. We took him into the garden to show us what he was unhappy with. No biggie. The drainpipe is in our garden but we agreed to move it to the other end of the run. He just couldn't help himself from commenting that the dog in the kennel was barking all throughout the night and it was affecting his quality of life. That was when I lost it! I don't know whether it was the fact that he was standing in my garden blatantly lying to me or the fact that 18 (yes, I'm counting) nights of not getting a decent sleep upsets you a bit. I couldn't shut up. I told him he was lying and I knew because I had been in the kennel every night since his disgusting anonymous letter through my door; which he tried to deny. He then went on to say that it hadn't been as bad in the last week but when I am at work, he barks all day long. Another lie as Julie has been with him each day with the exception of 2 mornings when she had exams. He didn't back down from that one and continued lying. By this time I was so angry, I couldn't stop the tears. I have basically told him that Nero is a dog. Dogs bark. He doesn't bark excessively and as the dog warden told me 2 days after his letter, barking is ok if it is not excessive. End of story!
He had various official looking people in his garden the past week pointing at the kennel and in his words to them telling them "it's highly illegal."
It's not. Anything within 2 metres of a boundary fence has to be less than 2.5metres high which it is. I guess he didn't get as far with that as he hoped so then resorted to actually speaking to us. I just wish I had have been able to keep my cool but unfortunately emotions got the better of me. I really didn't want to let him to get to me that much. It really pisses you off big time though when someone stands and lies through their teeth to you. Before he started lying, he really should have checked that he knew what the truth was!
David-Allan
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sharon sounds like you got your point across. Hopefully he will keep his mouth shut now.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night 20 and last night with Nero. Liz asked me this morning if I wanted him moved as a space elsewhere had become available. I really didn't want to as Julie and I have become quite attached to him, but if I'm honest with myself, I am not helping him as much as he needs. Because of nasty neighbour, I am in the kennel at the first sign of a bark which isn't what's needed. I am only teaching him that to get attention, he only has to bark. Unfortunately circumstances are dictating that a bit. I don't want to give up on him but he is going to someone who doesn't have any neighbors in close proximity, has foster kennels and has 4 or 5 other dogs in foster so he will have some company. Apart from that, I think I need to move him on for my own sanity. 19 nights so far without a proper sleep has left me pretty frazzled.
The fun part will be trying to get him into a crate tomorrow. He can't even tolerate a lead yet!
David-Allan
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your reasoning behind this but it's a shame that technically this oh I Swore is winning. This makes me so angry that some muppet can force you to move the dog to a different home. I would try and move the dog without this idiot knowing so he can continue to complain then you can say "That's funny as we no longer have rte dig you losing @&@&£&"

Some people are just idiots and make me so mad.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to try and move him without nasty neighbor seeing. It is a shame to move him. If this guy wasn't such an a*se, I wouldn't have been in the kennel every night and hopefully Nero would have learned that he gets company when he's quiet. This wee dog will make a great pet. He is such a gentle soul. He just needs time and patience.......and company. He is used to being with other dogs and cuddling up with them at night, which is why he can get a wee bit vocal if lonely. At Eileen's house there are no neighbors nasty or otherwise so she will be able to work with him the way he needs, not how circumstances dictate. I will miss him though.
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're sorry this guy has forced your hand to move Nero. What a horrible piece of work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: