Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How to get my dog to drink more fluids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: How to get my dog to drink more fluids Reply with quote

Hi, not been on for ages

Was away in Ullapool for a long break and while away Ria was attacked by a bigger dog, which bit into her short tail, and into the right rump side of her, so has been very ill. She is on anti biotics, and had pain killers, and i've been feeding her rice & chicken and up till yesterday she was taking some fluids but today i'm struggling to get her to drink anything.

We've arrived home and she seems to look depressed and uninterested in drinking anything, she did eat some chicken tonight, but not drinking.

Any suggestion are appreciated Rolling Eyes
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Dont know a lot , but we have a staffy who is a terrible drinker , we some times usa a glass that we used to drink out of, and Tia thinks she is getting our water so laps it up. Alernativly you could get a syringe and squirt it into Ria`s mouth .

kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoi could try some goats milc and watter it down. .

i k.ow its hard but try not to pander to her to much. because of the attac you will be very over protective of her and she couold be picking up on something from you thats making her not want to eat and drink. Try and make things as normal as possible. get her back into a rutine.

Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

We're sorry to hear about the attack. It's just awful. I know I've been pandering big time to Dexter since his attack and it's not the best thing to do but it's sooooo hard not to!

When my cat wasn't well the vet said to make her drink more water and a friend that works with the cats protection league suggested mixing water in with her wet food. It really worked quite well. Just mix in as much as you can get away with into small amounts of food so you can monitor how much is being taken.

We hope Ria is better soon.
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments, you act like a worried parent.

I've noticed I'm more anxious if taking Ria out for light exercise and any dogs want to approach her, I worry incase the other dogs can smell her wound, again Ria is totally submissive, and my stress levels increase.

I tried the chicken & rice and added a bit of chicken stock into it making it like a broth and she ate the lot of it, so really happy she's getting fluids into her.

She's still 5 more days of antibiotics to go .... some days she seems brighter than others, so still bathing the wound to make sure infection is out.

Wee shame ......... feel so sorry for her Sad
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm quite nervous taking Dexter out now. We usually just walked him round our estate to the park at bedtime but since that's when and where it happened he's just been allowed in the garden for the toilet as we're terrified it happens again!! Dexter's been quite responsive to dogs too. Normally he'll not bother about them if they're not close to us but now we're getting the perky ears and slow walking as soon as he sees them! I think that it's the psychological damage from an attack which is the worst bit as there's no "cure".

Glad to hear Ria is on the mend. Hoping for quick healing.

Cat
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Cat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: