Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
pulling on the lead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlene
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: pulling on the lead Reply with quote

Can anyone help me out here, I'm looking into different options other than the pinch collar and want to know what other people use and what you' s would recommend for my rather large gsd ....... I'm not to keen on the harness as I feel I have no control over his head and not so keen on the halti either

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Pinch collar Reply with quote

Tried then all and lexi is no where near the size of it dog
Luv the pinch collar and lexi isn't bothered by it at all. Prob because she's had it on size she was abt 6 mths x
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried various options for Cleo. She lunges aggressively at everyone and everything she gets a chance to. I had her on a half check collar but the way she lunged, she would have ended up with a collapsed trachea because of pressure at that area of her neck. The prong solved that as it evenly distributed the pressure around the circumference of her neck if she pulled or lunged. If I have her muzzled, which I don't very often now, I use her prong collar with a double ended training lead and a half check as back up.
I have tried various head collars on her and Tubbs with varying success. I didn't particularly like the halti. I felt it flimsy and would ride up into their eyes. I like the canny collar which again is a head halter but attaches to the lead at the back. The nose strap is quite flimsy and unpadded and again rides up into the dogs' eyes. That is its only downside but a very important one. The best head collar I have tried is the dogmatic. It comes in leather or padded webbing and does not ride up into the dogs' eyes. The only downside is that it fastens to the lead under the dogs chin and in the wrong hands, can jerk the dogs neck. Like most things, if used correctly, can work well. My 3 GSD's have dogmatic collars. Alfie and Tubbs walk well on theirs. Cleo does too but protests. She prefers her prong. I often have her on the dogmatic with the other end of her double lead on her prong when she is unmuzzled.
Cleo is a small GSD at 27 kg and wears a size 3 dogmatic. Alfie and Tubbs are larger, 37kg and 40kg respectively and both wear a size 3L dogmatic. The padded webbing ones seem reasonably comfy and can easily be worn alone to get the dog used to them indoors first. You can get them from German Shepherd Rescue Scotland's online store. They are about £20. It is the only thing which can allow me to walk all 3 of them at once myself.
charlene

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that info sharon i will have a look at dogmatic collar, i use a prong collar just now and have no problems with it but its other peoples views on it, and while i dont really care what anyone else thinks, its limiting us in the future to maybe join agility clubs or enter in some competitions, so would just like to see what else is out there.
Have u heard of the jencon headcollar, do u know if thats any good ? Smile
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at the Gencon all in one but decided it was no different from the Hunter slip leads that I had. These can also be used as head collars but if you put it on and take the dog out on your left hand side, it doesn't work if you move the dog to your right and vice versa. I know what you mean about the prong. I still find myself explaining to narrow minded know it all people how it works and doesn't hurt the dog. I even had it round my neck and had my 20 year old son pull on the lead. The prongs didn't really hurt. It was the half check part where the chain goes through the hole which nipped my skin and hurt, not the prongs.
Other people do judge you though, but sadly they don't know what they are judging you on. Where abouts are you? I could bring a dogmatic and show you it on one of my angels (don't worry, not Cleo), or just show you the headcollar up close. Let me know if you want me to. It's not a problem.
charlene

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah exactly and everyone is entitled to their opinions but i dont like when people are rude about it and dont even know how it works they just judge it on what it looks like.
that would be great if u wouldnt mind meeting up with me, i will pm u Smile
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs Charlene
David-Allan
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use a prong collar and have had the occasional dirty look from other dog owners. Sure they would have a different view if Franklin got off his lead and had a go at their little princess dog.

We have also just recently bought a dogmatic and so far it seem a lot better than the halti as it doesn't ride up over his eyes but Im still not as confident with it as I am with the pinch collar. Guess we will see how we get on at training on sunday.

We really need to have a little mini lead we can attach the dogmatic to the pinch collar so it the dogmatic doesn't hold up at least he is still attached to a collar. We currently use a caribena connected to his normal home collar just in case.

again if you want a look at the dogmatic let me know and we can meet up so you can have a look at it or try it on your dog. We will have it with us on sunday so if your there then let me know.

David-Allan & Franklin
charlene

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I have a dogmatic now, been using it for 2 weeks now and its fab, think he must have built up a resistance to the prong, he was pulling me all over the place lol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlene wrote:
Oh I have a dogmatic now, been using it for 2 weeks now and its fab, think he must have built up a resistance to the prong, he was pulling me all over the place lol

Thats the exact problem we had with Franklin and he has put so much weight on recently that his prong collar is too tight for my liking. Even if its set tot he way the website says it should be.

We will see how we get on with the dogmatic. Seems to help with his head control which with a head as big as franklins you really need to be in control of it.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're getting on ok with the dogmatic. As you saw Alfie is fine with his. Tubbs isn't too bad but Cleo prefers her prong. Hope it continues to help.
David-Allan
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's been a week with the Dogmatic and it's been great.

It doesn't ride up on his eyes and you can control his head completely. It great when we see another dog and he starts his moaning we can easily turn his head to me to break the stare and it usually calms him down.

I'd really recommend the Dogmatic over the halti to anyone struggling walking their dog on heal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: