Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaillewis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Mike Reply with quote

Hi i want a bit of advice i want to take my boxer dog to classes he is a rescue dog i have had him 3 mths and he is 20 mths old has anyone got any ideas as to stop him from pulling and jumping up just to i get him to classes thanku
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

I am not the expert on this I am sure those guys will answer soon, but its all practice practice practice .... with our old dog when I got her from the rescue home I would do our walk as normal then take her to the school playground or a long straight path and just walk, as soon as she pulled I would change direction...I must have looked silly but in the end she got the message .....
Good luck, once you get to classes everything will change he will love it and settle in no problem.

Alice

Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in no way the expert on this at all but in my experience there is no quick fix. Lots of practice will get you there. We've done the turning round and walking in the other direction thing and Dexter is slowly getting the message. You'll see this technique in action on many of the Victoria Stilwell It's Me or the Dog episodes. You'll can get them on youtube too. This technique is also explained in Turid Rugass's book My Dog Pulls What Do I Do? I quite liked that book!

You'll get tons of walking aids too and some work better than others. It's really dog dependent we've found. Dexter wears a harness with a front D ring we bought from Dog Games website. It's a bit more expensive but it's been well worth it in our experience. It means whenever he pulls he's pulled sideways into us so he's much easier controlled (Dex is a 40kg 22 month old GSD). We've been through flat collars, prong collars, harnesses that tighten, halti's, halti front leaders etc the list goes on!

Best advice I've been given though is stay calm and walk like Noel Gallacher. Dexter is quite nervous, that's why he pulls and lunges, so me being confident means he doesn't feel like he has to protect us.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

boxers are a bouncy high energy breed.

Use treats or a favourite toy as a reward....when he walks in the heel position without pulling for a couple of steps and repeat.....2 steps will become 3,4,5 use the command "heel' when doing thisas he learns that to get the reward he has to be calm and not pull on the leash.

john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: