Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
What do you feed your dogs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you feed your dogs?
Tinned Food/Pouches
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Kibble/Dried food
62%
 62%  [ 38 ]
Raw diet
27%
 27%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 61

kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: what do you feed your dog Reply with quote

I feed Bob and Dodge on raw meat and bones. I started when I was talking to John about Dodge's constant scratching, it was painful to watch he was driving himself insane, us too. John told me it could be the wheat in the tinned and dried food. Within a month of changing their diet Dodge had stopped scratching. This made me research what went into dog food - really guys, not good. An example of the manufacturers marketing half truths, DENTASTIX marketed as the greatest thing for your dogs dental health - they are full of caramel!!! as is one of the leading brands of tinned food.

My dogs look great on the raw diet, no huge smelly poo (am I allowed to say that on the forum) and it is costing me less than it did to feed on the mix of tinned and quality buscuit I was feeding them. Also now I have found the right food for them - they clear the bowls. where as before they would sometimes leave half their dinner.

I am a raw feed fan for life - I would never go back to a tinned diet.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Kirsty,

My Last dog, Jet, a black Shepherd bitch died of blood bourne cancer at the age of 3......broke my heart, a more beautiful dog I have yet to see. From first symptoms to passing away was 2 weeks!

So I started looking for some answers to try and rationalise what had happened....everything I researched came back to diet.

Since I switched (Jan 2007, a new years resolution) Diesel and Murphy to a raw meat and bones diet...........after a bit of ground work.

I am saving money, cost is around £40 to feed 2 GSD's for 6 weeks.

Both are enjoying eating EVERY meal.

Diesel is far more agile than before...he suffers far less from joint stiffness and elbow displacia.

I now feel guilty that for years I have traded feeding convenience for my dogs health.

With a little planning and a freezer for only dog food I believe that I have found a good balance.

I am happy to offer any help with feeding I can.
kendal

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that is the one of the only reasons we have not switched to the raw diet freezer space. but i have decided that when i get dogs of my own i will be feeding them on raw diet.

but as long as gypsy and Inca are happy I'm OK about us sticking to what we have. For now at least.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'dog freezer' came from the Comet scratch and dent depot in Possil. It is in the garage so no worries about a couple of scratches.

you can buy 2KG bags of raw mince etc from AMP in Cumbernauld with the club discount.
Did you get one of the price lists?

The club makes no money from AMP but I firmly believe a raw species appropriate diet is best for all dogs.
kendal

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's the problem no garage Rolling Eyes Sad
but i will find a way round it some how Very Happy
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We manage at the moment and keep our freezer in a cupboard in our spare room. We are moving soon (hopefully) and will have a garage but where there is a will there is a way.

We have two small dogs and £40 worth of raw meat does us 4 months, when on kibble that amount did us two so its definitley an improvement. I think whatever the situation you can find a way its just about planning and so forth.
kendal

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it were just up to me i would do anything to make room for it, but my mum has final say on everything including feeding and finance over the dog, it will take time, patience and persuasion on my part because if you bombard my mum she puts her foot down strait away.
i guess it like getting rid of a not in the dogs coat you have to teas it out instead of lopping it off with scissors.

I'll get round it some how, just don't tell my mum i said so Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: what do you feed your dog Reply with quote

thanx 4 the info on feeding.

I was feeding mine 2lb each a day of landywoods either mince, lamb etc, some days giving them the shoulder or the ox heart instead. (they adore the ox heart) - I was giving them chicken carcus as a treat. is the 4 wings or back, with each meal if I feed twice a day? So I would be giving them 2 backs or 8 wings each day. What about a quantity if Im using neck? - I still need to get the hang of this? then what do I do if im feeding them additional bones? or do I give them this instead of the chicken?

An exchange of ideas would be welcome form anyone who raw feeds - thanx.
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura, just noticed on a post that you use an ear powder. Bob suffers from recurring ear mites, would this powder take care of this - what do you use it for?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty,

this is the basis of most meals for my two, (it is per dog )I feed twice a day. If the dogs are thin I up the amount......to heavy I cut back.....I like my dogs a little on the lean side and ready for their food.

1 chicken back ( stripped of the breast ) or 4 chicken wings
1/2 pound of either minced beef/tripe/organ meat (rotated daily) or green tripe chunks or shin of beef

I also incorporate
a small portion of liver once a week
most days either a marrow bone cut in half or a meaty rib bone each
if we have veg out of date once a week or so I liquidize with 2 eggs (inc shells) and small tin of tuna.

I do not add any additional supplements

the diet I feed is by no means 'set in stone' and is constantly changing/evolving
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
Laura, just noticed on a post that you use an ear powder. Bob suffers from recurring ear mites, would this powder take care of this - what do you use it for?

I use THORNIT ear powder Kirsty, I know lots of folk, including myself, who have used it with excellent results for both ear mites and canker. Its a bit arduous, but it definitley works well. You can buy it on Ebay, depending on the size of dogs you have I would most likely go for the £12 tub. I bought the six pound one and it did both my dogs (medium sized) a full three month course. Never had an issue since and I do dust now and again to make sure they are gone.

You need to do the ears and the feet. What happens with mites is they infect/infest the dogs ears the dog scratches and they go on the feet, most folk only treat the ears with drops so when it is clear the dog itches or scratches the ear with feet and transfers mites again and the cycle continues. With thornit you treat the ears and feet. It's a fairly old remedy and I have not heard of it not working on dogs, or other pets. Worth a try.
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHN - THANX

I must check the landywood mince bags, I feed mine two a day each - I thought they were 1lb bags - but then, why do I need to check I suppose, the dogs look good on what I am giving them weight wise, like you I would cut down if I felt they were getting heavy or feed up if I felt they were thin.

I always feel Bob is too heavy looking and worry about his joints, he is not as athletic as Dodge, and can be a bit stiff getting up sometimes, but the vet told me last visit not to take any more weight off him - when we got him his back end was as wide as a coffee table Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANX LAURA

I had no idea about the feet needing treated, but yes, that makes sense. I wonder why the vet has never picked up on that????

I will try the powder as I am concerned that we have had big Bob for only 8 months and he has been at the vets due to 3 different flare up of mites - and they pump him full of anti-inflammatory drugs.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kibble/Dry food for me...Mostly Burns.

I am really tempted to change their diets to raw, perhaps one day i'll be brave enough, i've heard and read so many good things about it.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your research Nicola.........having lost my last GSD at only 3 years old to cancer I started to research possible causes.........diet was the only thing I could come up with........i thought long and hard before we switched to raw....best thing I ever did........wish I had discovered it years ago!.......

benefits are ....cleaner teeth, smaller stools, better coats, better breath, more energy...more chilled dogs....far keener to eat. Feeding costs are lower.
downsides.....takes more thought, needs a freezer and a bit of planning....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: