Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
What do you feed your dogs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you feed your dogs?
Tinned Food/Pouches
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Kibble/Dried food
62%
 62%  [ 38 ]
Raw diet
27%
 27%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 61

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: What do you feed your dogs? Reply with quote

Hi,

I feed my dogs a completely raw diet..........just wondered what everyone else feeds their dogs?

John
Myra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Blue's diet is mainly dried food. However, he sometimes gets leftover potato, veg, rice and pasta (once Scott has had his fill!) - and not from our plate but straight from the pot. He also gets an apple a day - you know what they say - keeps the vet away!!

See you after the Easter break!

Myra
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Myra,

thanks for taking the time to register.

Just a thought regarding Blues stiffness.........there is a train of thought that says the carbohydrates in potatoes are not good for a dogs joints. I feed my two our leftovers but always remove the potatoes

Also onion and human chocolate are poisons to a dog.........the canine digestive system simply cannot deal with them.

John
Myra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John

Didn't know that about potatoes/carbs - will make sure he doesn't get any more.

Since cutting back on this food slightly, we have noticed a difference in him - the limping isn't as bad.

Also, the only chocolate he has had was around Xmas time, when he broke into the spare bedroom and demolished 3 full selection boxes - he has hyper for about 24-hrs and then sick as a "dog" for a week!!!!! The vet said he was lucky as he is a big dog - any smaller and it could have done him real harm.

Regards
Myra
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite frightening what chocolate can do to dogs Shocked He was lucky he's such a big guy or things could have gone terribly wrong.
Our two love chocolate and would eat it given half a chance, but their 'treat' is a toffee ......... keeps Diesel quiet for a few minutes. ........ or longer if it sticks to the roof of his mouth!!!! Laughing
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chocolate is well hidden, no way are the dogs getting it, its mines mmmmmmm Laughing

We have been lucky too, once or twice Pixel has managed to get some, luckily not big bits
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Myra,

I used to work in a vet surgery and a lot of people found evening primrose oil for dogs really usefull.
You can purchase this from your own vet ( although, remember they may have a differing opinion, like doctors) or at a good pet shop.

Deborah
linsey

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when Leon was a pup we had him on dried food, but he really wasn't keen and would pick at it.

My great granny used to feed all her dogs "Chappie" so we tried that and he loves it!

I was a bit worried as it is kinda cheap, but what can you do?!

I mix it with a wee bit of pasta and a handful of fresh veggies: red peppers, carrots, peas and brocolli...

For a dog he really likes his veggies!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chappie is one of the better tinned foods. When adding to any food avoid onions which are poisonous to dogs and also potatoes are bad for joints.

John
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynsey,

I would agree with John about chappie. It may be cheaper and more basic than others but it is really good and any vet I have ever worked with would always recommend it when dogs had digestive problems or were fussy eaters.
kendal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we haven't had any problems with chocolate as of yet with Gypsy or Inca.

But one of our old dogs a cocker called Mitzi got a little drunk. Embarassed

My mum had a glass which held a bottle of wine, she had drank about a third of it and put it down at her feet. when she next looked at it mitzi had drank the lot. Embarassed And about an hour latter Mitzi was going round in circle's and staggering about the living room. Confused Laughing Even after polishing off at least a half bottle of wine she was fine the next day and not even a hangover. lucky little devil. Laughing

Gypsy also has a thing for apples she doesn't take her eyes off me when i have one.
could the seeds harm her, i try to avoid her getting to them but some times she takes a big bite and gets them. Very Happy Confused
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed a BARF diet and have done for the past two years now. Started feeding this way after a bitch of mine had terrible skin complaints since the age of one year. I started becoming more interested in treating my dogs holistically and had great success in eliminating a grass allergy by the use of nosodes. So we moved to a BARF diet and have never looked back. The dogs look so much better and no smelly breath anymore. We try to treat any ailments in as natural a way as possible.

My youngest bitch recently had a bad leg injury, she ripped it open jumping a barbed wire fence. I never took her to the vets and instead treated her myself and let it heal without much interference. 9 days in total it took the wound (which was fairly gruesome) to completely heal. Thinking back we had a dog years ago with a similar injury, it was about 3 months in all getting "fixed" what with stitches, antibiotics etc. So that taught me a lesson, vets have their place but we prefer to treat our animals as naturally as possible.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to you treat them without taking them to the vet? The reason I ask is because we have two dogs who from time to time fight with each other and one ends up getting cut somewhere but we always take them to the vet who puts them under sadation and stiches them up.
x
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can sympathise, owning two bitches both bull breeds has not been easy.

We have had a few fights along the way and they do tend to be more serious than other squabbles between non bull breed dogs. The first thing we do is take a look at the injuries, are they life threatening? If not then 99% of the time we treat ourselves. We have a first aid box, I will make a list at the bottom of what it contains. Most flesh wounds are fairly easy to treat, flush them out with hibiscrub (diluted) or hydrogen peroxide and keep clean. Always pick the scab every few days so that hairs and dirt come out with it. Thats basically it, I keep an iodine spray handy and I spray this every so often just to make sure no infection sets in. Even what appears to be a real nasty wound sometimes is just very superficial they always look a lot worse than they seem.

Our first aid box contains:

Bandage
Plaster Tape
Calendula Cream
Hibiscrub
Iodine Spray
Tee Tree Oil
Piriton
Some Homeopathic remedies
Scissors
Syringe (for flushing wounds)
Thornit Ear Powder
Golden Eye Ointment

And a few other things we keep handy thats just the basics. I feel if a dog has cuts or so forth giving it a few days usually makes a huge difference they heal so fast. Whereas if you go to the vets you havethe dog sedated, then antibiotics and so forth often prolonging the recovery time and putting more stress on the immune system etc.

That said I am not advocating not getting vet treatment if your dog requires it, just that its handy to learn when they actually DO need treatment and when you can treat yourself.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy got a bad cut on his side from barbed wire a few weeks ago ........... we didn't take him to the vet. Instead I cleaned the wound and used and antiseptic spray regularly to keep it clean. It healed very quickly and caused him no hassle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: