Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Can't Wee, Won't Wee!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linsey
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Can't Wee, Won't Wee! Reply with quote

Hi there everyone!

It would seem that Leon (my Lhasa Apso) has developed an interesting new habit... he point-blank refuses to go to the toilet in my garden... (either back or front, unless he absolutely has to)... this has been going on for a few months now.

He will toilet in my parents garden no problem, and if i walk him around the block he will go at the first corner we come to, so I know he needs! It is really frustrating, but i get the impression he is doing it on purpose!!!! Very Happy It is like he wants to save it up to scent more suitable spots!

The routine has always been that I let him out in the garden first thing, then a good, long walk at lunchtime. But now he has decided that he won't go until he is walked which means he must be bursting as he hasn't wee'd since 11pm the night before (he goes no problem in the garden at night). I'm not happy about this for numerous reasons, but especially because a guy came to check the meter last week and he was yapping away and pee'd on the floor.

I've just stood in the garden with him for 20 mins, and I have tried to coerce him with treats but it isn't working... And he KNOWS the toilet command, i know he does! Now I am cold and harassed, which he is probably picking up on. I am beginning to wonder how long he would hold it in if i didn't walk him at all!!! Does he have a bladder of steel?! (I wouldn't do that tho!)

I know you are probably thinking "just walk him in the morning" but the phone is usually non-stop in the morning with my clients and there is so much to do that I prefer to get it all out of the way so I can enjoy a walk and fresh air at lunchtime, and the routine always suited us really well because of that... also, I don't really want to be dictated to by a scruffy furball!!!

Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Linsey
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly what i would do if your garden is like mine and fenced in so he cant escape I would put him outside and go back in and close the door and watch him from a window but made sure he cant see you and eventually he will do the toilet, when he does praise him with a treat!

The boys have to do poo's in private, they wont do it if Im standing outside with them! ha ha
StuartW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dogs know that if they wait, they can get what they want.. in this case to get out for a pee / poo.

Doogle is the same.. he used to poo in the back garden no problem, but now he will wait until we go for a walk. Likes to get his bum right into the foliage Very Happy

If Leon really needs to go, he will eventually.. only one way it can come out Wink
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Stuart... I don't buy it when people try to tell me "he is just a dog, he isn't that smart"... he is! And he is devious!

Very Happy

He's smarter than a lot of people I know! It is just as well I love him!

Lx
Janis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

IF WHEN WALKING HIM AROUND AND HE PEES AT THE FIRST CORNER TRY CATCHING IT ON AN OLD FACE CLOTH ! RUB THE FACE CLOTH ON THE GRASS OUTSIDE IN YOUR GARDEN WHERE YOU WANT HIM TO GO! CONTINUE TO DO THIS A FEW TIMES AND HE MAY SOON GET HIS OWN SCENT AND CONTINUE!

EITHER THAT OR TRY THE PEE POST!

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_store/Simple_Solution_Pee_Post_p4003.html

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Janice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far would you have to go before he went? We had a dog that wouldn't settle unless he visited the lampost next to the house at 10.30pm It only took a minute but if he didn't get on time he made us suffer Twisted Evil
Have you tried not taking him for his walk until he goes in the garden? If he knows a command you could use it and make the walk the reward. I know it means running the risk of accidents and its annoying to have your routine upset, but if he didn't get out until he'd gone surely he'd get the message.
Anyway good luck and let us know how you get on.
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the pee post, Linsey. You can then also choose where in the garden you want him to pee. We have a Great Dane sized dog flap so the dogs go whenever they want to. I have always felt the dog flap gives me less to worry about if I am late. They are free to go pee.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna wrote:
We have a Great Dane sized dog flap

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male dogs as they get older like to pee on a vertical surface, lampost,poles, tree etc. The higher they pee the less likely that another dog will cover the scent.

is there a pole etc that he can use? What age is Leon now?
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dane dog flap is the size of the bottom half of the kitchen door. it is extra large - suitable for VERY large dogs. Even though I'm retired I still have to leave the dogs at home sometimes. My gran bred dogs and when I was wee she had a stable door type door on her kitchen to let the dogs have free access to outside. She said it made hose training pups sooo easy. The mother just took them outside and they were trained by her.
I have always tried to follow her lead. Our rescue dogs have seemed to find it easy. Even Basil, who was so scared when he came, took to going outside extremely quickly.
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a big dog flap Laughing
how many dogs do you have.

Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal, I currently have three dogs. Just one Great Dane, Basil and two Beagles, Angel and Misty.
StuartW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Male dogs as they get older like to pee on a vertical surface, lampost,poles, tree etc. The higher they pee the less likely that another dog will cover the scent.

is there a pole etc that he can use? What age is Leon now?

Quite literally a p***ing contest Laughing

Doogle often does the splits in an effort to get up high.
linsey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John & everyone else!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Leon is 3 now...

There are fences and things in our garden he can pee on... and for a while there he kept was keen to pee on one of the bushes in the garden, to the point that it was all dead at one side Smile i wasn't that bothered - it was a horrible thing anyway.

I went to the pet shop at the new westway shopping center yesterday, but they didn't have the pee stick thing (shocking considering the size of the place), so I will probably order that online...

Today I'm not going to take him out for a walk until he does the toilet in the garden... if we are here until dinnertime then so be it! But i've sat some treats next to the doors so that if he does go I can reward him right away...

Let's see what happens!

Linsey
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too stressed about it or it just becomes a battle of wits, been there on that one for numerous things, till I learned to completely chill out and remember that they are dogs, not humans. to be honest I just set my alarm so that my dogs always get their walk, before I had other things to do in the mornings..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: