Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Fireworks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Fireworks Reply with quote

I know its still a month away but I've been playing a CD of firework noises to Dale, just now and again when he's doing something nice like eating Laughing I wondered if anyone else had tried this and if it worked. So far Dale seems more curious than scared but I think the real thing will sound a bit different.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dreaded fireworks again!

Jodie doesn't give a damn but Mandy is absolutely terrified. She is 7 now and every year we have the same problems despite getting Xanax from the vet (it takes the edge off but nothing more- with no after effects in her case).

Last year I bought the CD and played it to her - she listened with interest and as I got it to the loudest I thought "this is it - we've cracked it!" Then the fireworks started and she was as bad as ever.

I therefore put it down to the percussive effect every bit as much as the actual noise. Short of crating her in a reasonably dark room with a blanket over the crate, some music and us there quietly talking to her - quite brightly, not sympathetically, I am out of ldeas.

I would welcome suggestions.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy couldn't care less about fireworks, where as Diesel will bark every time he hears one go off. BUT, if you take him outside he will sit and watch and not bark!!! Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the things. They should be banned from private sale and should only be used at licenced, public displays only.

We heard a couple on one of our walks last week. Both my dogs were off lead. Molly didn't batter an eyelid, however, Roxy went in to "collie" demeanour, her tail was low and she looked terrified. I called her to me, gave her a treat and spoke to her in a cheery voice, then sent her on her way to play again. Then we heard another, and I did the same thing again. She reverted back to her normal self after both recalls.

When we hear more, before they are in full swing, i'm going to take her outside (on lead) and each time we hear one, i'll give her a treat, talk to he in a cheery voice and see how we get on. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Enid, I think you're right about the percussive effect it has on the dogs, which is why i'm going to take Roxy outside to try and desensitise her a bit.
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nicola"]I hate the things. They should be banned from private sale and should only be used at licenced, public displays only.

HERE HERE! LET'S FACE IT IT'S GUNPOWDER! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO HANDLE THAT WITHOUT EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THEIR DOING! AS FOR SPARKLERS!. . . . . . . .I WOULDN'T WANT ONE IN MY HAND NEVER MIND GIVE ONE TO A CHILD! Mad
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Janis"]
Nicola wrote:
I hate the things. They should be banned from private sale and should only be used at licenced, public displays only.

HERE HERE! LET'S FACE IT IT'S GUNPOWDER! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO HANDLE THAT WITHOUT EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THEIR DOING! AS FOR SPARKLERS!. . . . . . . .I WOULDN'T WANT ONE IN MY HAND NEVER MIND GIVE ONE TO A CHILD! Mad

I agree! I never wanted sparklers when I was younger. I didn't even want to go to firework displays until I was much older, and I haven't been to one in around 5 years, at least.
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis I'd volunteer to let the fireworks off. I love fireworks Laughing Laughing
My first dog loved them too. I kept him on a lead because he wanted to play with them Shocked
But Sam was really terrified and I'm hoping Dale will be OK. I'll tell you next month Confused
Karen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Janis I hate them aswell, they cause so much grief not only to animals but innocent people, I have had a couple thrown in my direction years ago by neds, and one thrown near my garden one lunch time, thank goodness my dogs are ok but they are lucky some are terrified, my only advice would be to totally ignore any noise so that your dog sees no reaction from you as they will follow your lead if they react say nothing. act as if you heard nothing just carry on doing what you were.
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,

I'm with you on the "ignoring them as if nothing is happening, and carry on as normal" I would apply this method first, which I did with Roxy, but she got herself in a terrible state and lay at the side of my bed trembling, I also thought she was going to be sick, thankfully she didn't. This was last year.

This year i'm trying the method i've mentioned in my earlier post.
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge is terrified of them and we live in blackwood, where they do the local display - just need to keep him indoors with lots of loves and kisses, probably go down on the floor with him or even for one time only cover up the couch and let him up. the problem is that they let them off for days before bonfire night.

big bob - he is as laid back about fire works as he is with everything else Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They start going off here about a month before, and a good couple of weeks after! It's a nightmare!

And you get the wee "expletives" that set them off during day and at all hours! I'd love to get my hands on them and wring their necks! Evil or Very Mad
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
Dodge is terrified of them and we live in blackwood, where they do the local display - just need to keep him indoors with lots of loves and kisses, probably go down on the floor with him or even for one time only cover up the couch and let him up. the problem is that they let them off for days before bonfire night.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't do that! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Then you're just reinforcing to him that he has something to be afraid of!
As Karen and Nicola have said, the best possible thing you can do is to completely ignore the whole thing.
You are such a big softie Kirsty! Wink Laughing
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bet dodge is putting it on just to get up on the sofa Wink Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabel wrote:
bet dodge is putting it on just to get up on the sofa Wink Laughing

Laughing
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent years trying to ignore it and act normally with Sam but it just didn't work. He got so bad that he shook and drooled and followed us everywhere. I think some dogs just can't cope with the noise. The vet did give us some tablets that helped and didn't make him groggy but i can't remember the name. If Dodge is really bad it might be worth asking the vet. We had to try the pills out beforehand to see how he reacted to them with no fireworks. They also stop the dog remembering what happens so if he has a bad experience he won't remember it next time, if you see what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: