Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Fireworks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I spent years trying to ignore it and act normally with Sam but it just didn't work. He got so bad that he shook and drooled and followed us everywhere. I think some dogs just can't cope with the noise. The vet did give us some tablets that helped and didn't make him groggy but i can't remember the name. If Dodge is really bad it might be worth asking the vet. We had to try the pills out beforehand to see how he reacted to them with no fireworks. They also stop the dog remembering what happens so if he has a bad experience he won't remember it next time, if you see what I mean.

I remember someone telling me about those pills before, Janice. They worked with their dog but i'd only use them as a very last resort though.
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love firework displays but hate fireworks, my partner is a firefighter and has been attacked in the fire engin by neds breaking the windscreen and throwing fireworks in the cab at them. I think they should be banned from public sale and only organised displays should be put on. So many people get injured start fires etc with fireworks and bon fires and it costs a fortune in our taxes and it puts lives at risk, Police now have to acomapny the fire service on guy fawks however they are so far stretched that they generally can't get out of the car as there is only one of them and therfore can't do much putting them at risk from attack from the idiots.

As for my dogs well Dora is not to bad she was a bit jumpy last year but I took her out for a pee and just ignored the firework, this is Lizzy's first guy fawks so I will see how she is, if she is jummpy I'll probably just ignore it and try to be normal as usual.

Lindy
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I spent years trying to ignore it and act normally with Sam but it just didn't work. He got so bad that he shook and drooled and followed us everywhere. I think some dogs just can't cope with the noise. The vet did give us some tablets that helped and didn't make him groggy but i can't remember the name. If Dodge is really bad it might be worth asking the vet. We had to try the pills out beforehand to see how he reacted to them with no fireworks. They also stop the dog remembering what happens so if he has a bad experience he won't remember it next time, if you see what I mean.

They sound to me like Xanax, Janice - doggy valium. They chiefly take away the memory of the bad experience without any grogginess at all We will be getting them soon from the vet if they can find the key to the "dangerous drugs" cabinet! Last year it took them quite a while!!!
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys, I will take your advice and watch dodge cry, whine, bark and quake and ignore him - I dont think so Laughing

I wonder if he would wear my ipod
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
ok guys, I will take your advice and watch dodge cry, whine, bark and quake and ignore him - I dont think so Laughing

I wonder if he would wear my ipod

I know exactly how you feel, Kirsty.

It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Chris has to stop me from going out to throttle folk round about us when it all starts - I turn into a fiend!!
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Murphy couldn't care less about fireworks, where as Diesel will bark every time he hears one go off. BUT, if you take him outside he will sit and watch and not bark!!! Laughing

Confused Confused Confused dogs can be so strange at times
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that firework season can be really traumatic for both dogs and owners............the general consensus is to apply pack order and for you as pack leader not to react to the noise........try to let your dog see that you are not bothered by them.........best advice is not to pet and comfort your dog as this only confirms that the noise is something to worry about.

I know that this is easier said than done for a large number of people and I sympathise with you if this is the case.

Me? well on Nov 5th at around 7.30PM I have to take the dogs out then sit on the front step to let them watch what is going on........the things you do for a quiet life Rolling Eyes
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hard thing is to ignore you dog when it is getting stressed, dogs can pick up on your stress levels so quickly so even if you are ignoring them you maybe still stressed inside and dog senses this fear feeds on fear I truly believe that by staying calm this helps your buddy stay calm, it isnt easy but the more you stay calm in all situations the easier it becomes, I personally find it very easy to stay totally calm with my boys just through believing in myself as pack leader, hey you must believe in yourself or your dog never will, and then low and behold I can get totally stressed out in two minutes living with teenagers hey who would be a mum( I sure I quoted that before ) this is why I probably take my dogs so many walks either this or someone would have been murdered by now,
good luck everyone with the fireworks.....
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know exactly how you feel, Kirsty.

It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Chris has to stop me from going out to throttle folk round about us when it all starts - I turn into a fiend!!

I hate them, Misty Moo hates them, I hate her being upset, I try and ignore her and I cant Sad
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:

Yes, that's probably the best first step you should take, Kirsty. By doing the above you will most probably only add to Dodge's anxiety, not make him feel better, as you might think - by doing the above, you're only making yourself feel better by fussing over him - but you'll be making him feel worse.

I tried behaving as normal and carrying on with the usual things last year, it didn't help Roxy. I will never resort to fussing over her. I intend to try the method I have mentioned above - take her into the garden to play, and each time one goes off, call her, give her a treat and lots of happy praise, and send her on her way to try and play again. I will try her on lead first, then off.
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - I really will try to act as if nothing is wrong and stay calm and not fuss him
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
ok - I really will try to act as if nothing is wrong and stay calm and not fuss him

Easier said than done when a wee soul is climbing all over you, hyperventilating, climbing down, running into furniture, shaking, drooling....

Yes, I know it is the right thing to do.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:

Excellent. Good luck. It really is the best thing for him to start with. If you fuss over him, he'll probably only get worse, more fearful. If it doesn't work, you could always try the method i'm trying with Roxy.

It's our second year with Roxy, so her experience with fireworks last year was new to us, so all of last years round of fireworks, I did the ignoring method - many a night. I knew by comforting her I would only confirm her fears and anxiety, so I just left her alone and kept telling myelf i'm doing the best thing for her. That's why this year i'll see what she's like, then try the method i've mentioned.
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Fireworks Reply with quote

Hateful horrible things, but Dan is cool with them and Jack barks but I turn the Radio/TV up!! They are gundogs (allegedly) so are not so bad. When I had Whisk (a five week old puppy, found in a black sack in a canal by my two previous Cockers - Sam and Ben) - he was terrified, both by fireworks and by thunderstorms. In my back bedroom I made a cushioned cave under the bottom end of the bed where Whisk could go - it had his favourite toys, my vest and a radio. Seemed to help as he always went there if the noises started.

Sam and Ben were totally non-plussed but I think the fireworks were a lot less like bazookas in those days and also my neighbours in Yorkshire always did good food at their family display that distracted any concerns that my boys may have experienced about the fireworks.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A workmate of mine, who is in her 50s was telling me that fireworks are much louder nowadays than they were years ago.... I could believe that, actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: