Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Fireworks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
A workmate of mine, who is in her 50s

Goodness, Nicola, she must have been around at the original gunpowder plot..... Wink Wink Wink
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice said
Quote:
They also stop the dog remembering what happens so if he has a bad experience he won't remember it next time, if you see what I mean.
I think Brenda puts this in my Irn Bru Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stevie
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
Nicola wrote:
A workmate of mine, who is in her 50s

Goodness, Nicola, she must have been around at the original gunpowder plot..... Wink Wink Wink

Aye...very good, Enid! Laughing I'll tell her you said that! Shocked Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven wrote:
Janice said
Quote:
They also stop the dog remembering what happens so if he has a bad experience he won't remember it next time, if you see what I mean.
I think Brenda puts this in my Irn Bru Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stevie

Laughing
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its started. I opened the door to let Dale out just as a rocket went off. He was excited and curious but didn't seem scared so here's hoping.
Lorna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty likes to go out in the garden and watch the fireworks. But, Basil is terrified. It is nit possible to ignore a Great Dane climbing up onto your lap and crying. Last year we got him fireworks week and it was a nightmare. I closed all the curtains and took him into the room furthest away from the noise. I played the music I use for meditation loudly. I did my best to keep him off my knee and spoke to him very calmly all the time.
Confession - One night we ended up cuddled together on the couch. John was out. I was tired and had run out of doggy conversation. I know it is no excuse.
I will try to do better this year. Hopefully he will be more calm.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First fireworks night looming for Otto, but he heard a couple of bangers while out on a walk the other night and didn't seem to pay much attention.

Only thing I've seen him faintly wary of was the cows in our local field - and eventually curiosity got the better of him.
lynn 01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Fireworks Reply with quote

Hi

Bubbles has never heard a firework before and I am worried as I will be leaving her alone (night shift) for the Sat and Sun (3rd and 4th) what is the name of the cd and does anyone have any other ideas. From my house I get a great view of the organised show and also the whole of Balloch, Great for humans rotten for dogs.

Help

Smile
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fireworks Reply with quote

lynn 01 wrote:

Hi

Bubbles has never heard a firework before and I am worried as I will be leaving her alone (night shift) for the Sat and Sun (3rd and 4th) what is the name of the cd and does anyone have any other ideas. From my house I get a great view of the organised show and also the whole of Balloch, Great for humans rotten for dogs.

Help

Smile

Try here Lynn.

http://www.fearoffireworks.com/cd.php
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, I haven't heard any fireworks for a few weeks, since the first time I heard them this year. Although they are being advertised more now. Mad
Elaine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy something called a DAP defuser, it works like a plug in air freshener, releases a pheromone which calms the dogs.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine wrote:
You can buy something called a DAP defuser, it works like a plug in air freshener, releases a pheromone which calms the dogs.

That reminded my of my granda's cat. Laughing (The cat that I rehomed and it hates me. Rolling Eyes ).

My granny and granda got a new bed, and new furniture for their bedroom. My grann's shifts at work also changed at the time, and my granda was working weekends to finish off a job.

During the above, Flossy started to tear clumps of hair out of herself and wouldn't settle at all at night, she was also off her food for a time.

Obviously they were concerned, and took her to the vets. The vet asked them have they changed their routines changed dramatically. My granny was doing the odd night shift at the time as well.

Taking all this information into account, the vet said the cat was depressed and unsettled due to the change in routines, new bed and new smells and such like.

The vet diagnosed the cat as being depressed and prescribed a Prozac diffuser.

After a few days, the cat's mood brightened, she started to eat again and her hair started to grow back in. She's been fine every since! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One vet suggested Bach's Rescue Remedy. You just need a few drops in the drinking water or in the mouth and its supposed to calm them. I'm afraid I didn't see much difference with it, but Like a lot of things it may help some dogs and not others.
He also liked DAP diffusers. You can get DAP collars now too but I think you have to start using them a week or so before the fireworks start.
I'll do my usual curtains shut , lights on and TV tuned up and ignore then routine. Though I'm still not sure if Dale's scared or excited. There were a few in the distance and he just seemed to want to get a closer look Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
One vet suggested Bach's Rescue Remedy. You just need a few drops in the drinking water or in the mouth and its supposed to calm them. I'm afraid I didn't see much difference with it, but Like a lot of things it may help some dogs and not others.
He also liked DAP diffusers. You can get DAP collars now too but I think you have to start using them a week or so before the fireworks start.
I'll do my usual curtains shut , lights on and TV tuned up and ignore then routine. Though I'm still not sure if Dale's scared or excited. There were a few in the distance and he just seemed to want to get a closer look Rolling Eyes

Best way to start off with Dale, Janice. Hope he finds them ok. Smile

I tried Rescue Remedy last time I was going to the dentist. Took about half a bottle, didn't have any effect! Laughing

I have some of that, actually. Might get it out and try that first. Confused
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As I said on another thread, it doesn't work for us. .. Sad

Quote:
One vet suggested Bach's Rescue Remedy. You just need a few drops in the drinking water or in the mouth and its supposed to calm them. I'm afraid I didn't see much difference with it

Nor does this.. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: