Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Vets Advice on Feeding
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Vets Advice on Feeding Reply with quote

Bob is having a constant battle with skin infection which the vet thinks is due to allergy.

She has advised me to strictly adhere to his raw diet, not to let him eat any other foods, including human tit bits.

Rather than warn me about any possible dangers of raw feeding, she has advised me to follow it more strictly. -If it were such a dangerous practice, surely my vet would have warned me.

Thought I would just pass this on as I spoke to someone who raw feeds at the week-end who was feeling a bit concerned about her choices due to the debate we have been having on raw feeding.

I have never criticised anyone who does not raw feed, nor would I ever be so patronising or presumptuous. - but I am worried about the scaremongering that is going on about the method of feeding I have chosen.
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty my vet has said that my three are in such good condition that I should continue with raw feeding. Its my cat that he is most impressed with though says he is the fittest cat he has seen in many a year. Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty, I have seen the torment that Big Bob goes through with his allergy .............. poor big guy's skin is scalding hot to the touch and he is visibly uncomfortable.

Same as in humans I think diet is something that should be looked into when suffering from allergies.

At the weekend he was moving much better and he enjoyed his hike in the hills! Smile .......... quite a bit more than we did!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with dogs we have in suffering from skin allergies, we start them on a sensitivity control diet, available in wet and dry form, the 2 flavours are chicken and rice and duck and rice, and basically these ingredients are all they contain. we keep dogs on them for a minimum of 6 weeks with absolutely NO other things to eat, and see how the dog is doing. then slowly introduce other feeds and we can usually pinpoint the culprit. for skin allergies, duck is best as not usually in dog foods so dog unlikely to have encountered it before. SC is also what we feed dogs who come in with vomiting, or when we arent sure what they eat as it tends to agree with most dogs, and even i think it smells great and im veggie!
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Suzanne,

that is probably why I have been told not to give Bob anything other than the raw diet, is it is likely to cut down on irritants. Perhaps the vet thought that as I had Bob on raw already and he was doing ok on it - it was best not to mess with his diet.

I have not as yet started introducing other food, but I don't entirely trust my partner - I caught him one night feeding him veg pakora - veg pakora for god sake - who would feed that to a dog? bob did enjoy it I have to say Embarassed
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel loves veg pakora! Embarassed
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah skin allergies are hard, the slightest thing can set it off! tends to affect certain breeds, westies are terrible for it as are english bull terriers, usually the white ones. weird!
other things that can have an effect are household items, ive seen pets allergic to febreze etc, so dont change these things too much, although these allergies tend to be worse on legs, paws and underbelly, where they come in contact with carpet?
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Diesel loves veg pakora! Embarassed

MARCELLA!!!!

Mind you, probably no worse than cheezy puffs Very Happy
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora is alergic to oust and other plug in or fan fragrance things with the oil bottle, she gets terrible hives and the first time it happened I was over £150 in emergency vet bills as I was so worried. It happened again when she had the pups and thats when I realised what the problem was. poor wee soul her face all puffs up and she gets hives all over it, her legs and back all from a wee perfume dispenser thing to keep you house smelling nice. I now use soya lavendar candles if I want to fragrance the house and keep to the same washing powder and conditioner. If it happens now the vet said just to give her a half a anti histemine.
StuartW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth getting a quick guide to canine first aid on the forum somehow.. maybe a sticky or easy access link?

Just brainfarting here, might be an obsolete idea. Confused
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartW wrote:
Might be worth getting a quick guide to canine first aid on the forum somehow.. maybe a sticky or easy access link?

Just brainfarting here, might be an obsolete idea. Confused

not a bad idea. Maybe we can insert an extra forum and some first aid tips can be posted
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 years at uni ha, we've got our own wee vet school going on here!

tcp, paracetamol, calpaul, vic vapour!

got to laugh but basically everything we have medicine wise is tested on animals anyway and given the correct wee amount then i cant see it doing any harm!!!

xx
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbal advice is available from dorwest.co.uk
They supply herbal remedies for animals.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Dorwest Herbs herbal remedies in the past with success.

For the past 3 years I have been adding their Elderberry & Nettle Extract to Molly's food every night, just half a teaspoon.

I was told it would help maintain skin pigmentation and coat condition, and it definately has done. At one point, Molly had pink spot on the top of her nose, and it was annoying me! That was when I was introduced to Elderberry & Nettle extract from Dorwest Herbs. Her nose is now completely black, the pink spot started to darken within a few weeks of using it.

It's not cheap, but worth every penny and i've been getting a new bottle at Crufts for the past two years, as it's a good few pounds cheaper there. The first year I ordered it online.
kirsty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne, the vet did say to me to avoid any air conditioners etc and I have been using the same soap powder and fabric conditioner since Bobs last outbreak and trying to feed him no human titbits or wheat products.

He had a slight outbreak last week - it starts with scabs on his belly then they get infected and he just breaks out with raw skin at his leg joints, belly and chest - no infection this time and the scabs have healed up.

I spoke to someone who said that her vet suggsted piriton - when I asked my vet, she was not so sure.

Also one of his ears look as though they may be infected with mites again. Bob, his skin and his ears are a constant round of visits to the vets.

My friend used a holistic practitioner - and they seem to have gotten to the bottom of one of her GSD allergies and skin complaints - she just did not want her dog having any more anti biotics and steriods.

I feel a bit like that about bob too. He has had 3 courses in the last 6 months - and that concerns me as that cant be good for him.

but in the mean time will just have to keep trying to eliminate the irritants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: