Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Ingredients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ingredients Reply with quote

This is a list of the 5 main ingredients in Hills Science Plan Canine Maintenance dry food.

It has been taken from the packaging that the food comes in. The first ingredient is the largest by weight and so on.
Please note that this does not take the quality of the ingredients into the equation.

Corn
Poultry By-Product Meal
Soybean Meal
Animal Fat
Natural Flavours

BHA, PPG, Citric Acid ( preservatives)

This is the Association Of American Feed Control Officials definition of these ingredients along with a short explanation.

Corn........Ground Corn is the entire corn kernel, ground or chopped.

"Although Ground Corn is a good quality source of carbohydrates, it is thought to be the 3rd most common cause of food allergies in pets.

Poultry By-Products.....Poultry By-Product Meal consists of the ground, rendered ( mechanically reclaimed), clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, beaks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

It is an "Inconsistent ingredient because of the multiple organs used and their constantly changing proportions. The origin is from any fowl (turkeys, ducks, geese, buzzards, etc.) instead of a single source, like chicken. Poultry By-Product Meal is much less expensive and less digestible than Chicken Meal."

Soybean Meal........Soybean Meal is the product obtained by grinding the flakes which remain after removal of most of the oil from soybeans by a solvent or mechanical extraction process.

It is "a poor quality protein filler. The 'Crude Protein' analysis on pet food labels is only a measurement of the amount of nitrogen in a food -- not the quality of the protein. Because of this, pet food companies can use the cheaper by-products of human food production, such as Soybean Meal. Meat is always the best source of quality protein. Meat protein is better absorbed and retained and is higher in essential amino acids like methionine, arginine, and taurine. Soybean Meal has a biologic value less than 50% of Chicken Meal. Some allege that soybeans are the biggest cause of allergies in dogs."

Animal Fat............ is obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

It is a byproduct of meat meal processing. The origin of the contributing animals is never known, and the resulting oil is very low in linoleic acid -- an essential fatty acid that is important for skin and coat health.

Natural Flavours............could be anything as nothing is specified

BHA.....BUTYLATED HYDROXYANISOLE (BHA): A preservative and antioxidant. Known to cause allergic reaction, affects liver and kidney function.

PPG.....polypropylene glycol, is a preservative and is widely used in anti freeze.

Citric Acid...preservative

The truth is out there if you are prepared to look..
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary stuff john!!!!!!

Just got my cats science plan out - its pretty much the same with the exception of the chicken protein and turkey protein and some fish oil - though the protein is 'dehydrated'

As I told you at lunch time have started tootsie on a raw diet now as well, but had planned on using up this huge sack of science plan in addition to the raw - now I'm not so sure Shocked May just put it right in the bin Confused

My previous vet had recommended a dry food rather than soft - for better dental health - so was reluctant to remove her off the dry - Back to researching food options - this time feline rather than canine. Will make my decision once I have more information
Suzanne St
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.M.G Can ma dogs become veggies
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now John, do you investigate what you put in your own mouth to that extent Laughing

I tried to get Ian on to low salt/sugar beans with his steak pie and chips but he's not having it.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing As Marcella will no doubt tell you .my own diet is not the healthiest in the world Rolling Eyes
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - and you stay so slim on it! Sad

Why is life so horribly unfair? Rolling Eyes
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm i been doing more and more research on raw and i sit on the fence with it, coz it seems better but runs right through the boys so for them burns is the only 'decent' food ive found.
Tried mince and fish but i need to take out the bones (cant deal with that) (nor raw chicken, just cant put it in their bowls!)

p.s ive never tried J.W.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl,

I know it took you a long time to find a diet that worked for your boys.......I would stick with Burns if I was you.......anything else seem to upset their tummies Crying or Very sad
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG john,

I thought I agonised over feed the boys raw.

Reading up on cat raw feeding is a nightmare - one site recommends raw mice, snakes etc.

seemingly cats digestive systems are not as robust as the dogs so they say keep the old meat for the dog, the cats has to be completely fresh - and heated a slight tad, they cannot tolerate food out of the fridge Shocked

All through the articles thought, they really advocate raw feeding for canine and feline.

still feeding mixture of the raw and hills to the cat Embarassed hopefully will have moved over completely by next week.

the interesting thing - in some of the articles they talk about cats (and dogs) becoming pet food junkies because of the additives in the pet food Twisted Evil

I dont know whether to thank or curse you for your 'hills' article. Wink
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think burns is for us just now!
maybe next spring when there a bit older I could try it again!
bt for just now Im not overly worried as long as they appear healthy enough!

xx
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some dogs should never be fed soya products. Great Danes can not digest soya. As a veggie we have a lot of soya in the house and casn not be careful enough with leftovers - and sneaky husbands.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna,

a large number of 'fillers' used in pet foods cannot be digested, sorry it is a disgusting subject, but this is why dogs who are fed commercial diets have bowels that .....lets just say......have to work overtime clearing out what is un-digestible. Huge piles of waste pass straight through with little or no benefit to the dog in question.
Fiona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
OMG john,

I thought I agonised over feed the boys raw.

Reading up on cat raw feeding is a nightmare - one site recommends raw mice, snakes etc.

seemingly cats digestive systems are not as robust as the dogs so they say keep the old meat for the dog, the cats has to be completely fresh - and heated a slight tad, they cannot tolerate food out of the fridge Shocked

All through the articles thought, they really advocate raw feeding for canine and feline.

still feeding mixture of the raw and hills to the cat Embarassed hopefully will have moved over completely by next week.

the interesting thing - in some of the articles they talk about cats (and dogs) becoming pet food junkies because of the additives in the pet food Twisted Evil

I dont know whether to thank or curse you for your 'hills' article. Wink

Kirsty I just stick the cats food in the the micro on defrost for like 2 mins which gives it a little heat without cooking it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: