Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Rawhide bones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Rawhide bones Reply with quote

I give Otto 2 wee rawhide sticks to chew - bit like a dummy really, he goes into a trance.

But he makes short work of them and so I gave him a bigger one but again didn't last more than an hour and I worried about it. I think they just pass through and there hasn't been any ill effects from the big one but seemed an awful lot to be in his stomach.

Are they ok? Even a big one?
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rawhide chews are ok for dogs, so long as they are supervised when they're eating them and that the chews are big enough for the dog.

I asked the vet about them before I decided to give them to Molly, he said the above and that it also helps clean their teeth due to the saliva production and the actual chewing.

If he's doing fine with them, that I would say it's ok for him to have them. Smile
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our two are much smaller than Otto and a raw hide doesn't last long with them either, so i wouldn't worry about it. its better for him than a table leg Laughing

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer real bones as treats........rib bones to eat...marrow bones for recreation........buy them for pennies from your local butcher!
Isabel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they are ok, but apparently it is best not to give them too much at once cos it can swell up in their belly.
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Personally I prefer real bones as treats........rib bones to eat...marrow bones for recreation........buy them for pennies from your local butcher!

John, I would love to give my two raw bones, but the vet has advised me against it. I'm still very tempted to try them with real bones. Can you get small marrow bones? Do you think it's less safe for smaller dogs to give them bones?
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give all three of mine marrow and rib bones but that's just me. Jake is now 17 weeks and loves the marrow bones. They can't break them down and can only scrap the meat and marrow from inside, he can sit for hours happy as larry with one. Great for their teeth and jaws and keeps them happy for ages.
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
I give all three of mine marrow and rib bones but that's just me. Jake is now 17 weeks and loves the marrow bones. They can't break them down and can only scrap the meat and marrow from inside, he can sit for hours happy as larry with one. Great for their teeth and jaws and keeps them happy for ages.

I think I might try them with them, see how they get on.

Do you think they will take to them seeing as they aren't on a raw diet? They do like to chew sticks, shoes etc, rawhide stuff. Molly more so than Roxy!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot understand why a vet would suggest you should not feed a dog a bone......rib or marrow.did the vet give you a reason? Did they suggest an alternative?

I am intrigued as I believe that the 'littigation society' is taking over and everyone and everything is being mollycoddled for fear of being sued......dogs have eaten bone since the dawn of time...I can see no reason to change it.........by all means if you are worried at first supervise them.

Just my opinion.
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
I cannot understand why a vet would suggest you should not feed a dog a bone......rib or marrow.did the vet give you a reason? Did they suggest an alternative?

I am intrigued as I believe that the 'littigation society' is taking over and everyone and everything is being mollycoddled for fear of being sued......dogs have eaten bone since the dawn of time...I can see no reason to change it.........by all means if you are worried at first supervise them.

Just my opinion.

John,

He said they've had dogs in with bits of bone stuck in their throat and windpipe and have had to be operated on. They suggested rawhide chews, which I already give them anyway Obviously there is a risk of bits of rawhide being stuck inside them aswell.

Is it best to try marrowbones first, or does it not matter? Also, do they break up least?

I know my grandparent dogs all got bones, but that was years ago. Jake didn't get bones in his old age though, he wouldn't eat them then anyway.
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola try them on a marrow bone just ask the buthcher for two small ones he will show what size they are. They will love them licking out the marrow gives them hours of fun as does scraping off the meat scraps on the bone. It is unlikely that the bone will break and they are great for cleaning their teeth. All of my dogs and my grandparents dogs at least 15 dogs) have been given bones and never had any trouble as with bones sticking in throats etc.
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only try Nicola, marrows would be best to start with, Star never really got the concept of them until I scooped a little of the marrow out to help get him started. Now he is like a dog with a mission when he gets one! He doesn't stop until he has got it all out. Your local butcher will probably have some for you Smile

If you are worried about feeding bones then marrows are def best coz they can't break them down and all they get is any meat left on the outside and the soft marrow inside.

Let me know how you get on Smile
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrow bones are not digested..they will pick the meat off the outside and lick the marrow from inside the bone.........yes theoretically fragments can get stuck........and theoretically kibble can cause choking......and yes if you cross a road with your dog on a lead you might get knocked down........but it is very very uncommon.....again if a vet tells you to feed a bone and it chokes, because they are an animal health professional, if anything happens they are going to get sued.......so it is more financially prudent for them to tell you to feed rawhide which is made from horses hoofs than to eat bone which is a natural food for dogs......
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR RIB AND MARROW BONES FIONA?
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy, Fiona,

I'm definately going to try them with the marrowbones. I'll let you know how they get on. I know Molly will love it, but not so sure about Roxy! Rolling Eyes Laughing Thanks for the info. Smile

John,

I see where you're coming from regarding the vets covering themselves.

I understand that bones are natural for dogs, however, I feel a bit funny about giving them bones that have bits of raw meat on it. Confused Should I give them the bones outside?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: