Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog not eating?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Dog not eating? Reply with quote

Following on from a point mentioned in the 'How much does it cost to feed your dog' thread, a couple of people have mentioned that their dogs go through phases of not eating. This has prompted questions as to why and when does this happen.
So, who has a dog that is a poor eater, or goes through phases of not eating? Does anyone have any reasons why they think this is?
My two generally eat very well. Only on a very odd occasion does either of them choose not to eat. In our case it's usually very obvious why i.e. dog feeling under the weather, or in Diesels case last week, a change of food at the kennels which he simply didn't like! Confused And he was feeling sorry for himself! Surprised
So what are your thoughts, the dog is depressed or ill? Or is it simply nothing more than the dog is a tad spoiled and trying to rule the roost by not eating dog food and aiming for your dinner plate instead? Smile
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Libby and Star go through phases of not eating, Star very rarely but Libby almost has a pattern to it, at least once every two weeks she will stop eating for about two days. It never seems to do her any harm and I always make sure she drinks plenty. Not sure why they do it maybe they are mimicking what would probably happen in the wild i.e some times food just wouldn't be available so would have to fast for a few days Confused
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY TWO ALSO GO THROUGH PHASES BUT MORE-SO GYPSY!

SHE IS JUST DOWN RIGHT FUSSY! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HER JUST TAKES MOODS TO EAT AND BE PICKY BUT NEVER STARVE!
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogle always eats, he's a greedy wee b*gger Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allans friend fasts his dogs once a week, always has done, always will, his dogs look fantastic, they are working dogs and are mostly kenneled though the lurcher is in the house, but his dogs look great all the time.....he feeds his dogs a mixture of raw and dried

I thnk its natural for them to fast from time to time and this is why they do it...we sometimes fast ours but not weekly or monthy just every now and again, usually if they go through a phase of picking at their food...which isnt often but even Pixel does it sometimes....honest Very Happy
Phoebe
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony gets starved one day per week. Sometimes she gets nothing at this day, sometimes yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit and veg.
I think it´s natural for a dog to have days where no or just a bit food is available. Smile
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends JRT goes off his food now and again but we have put it down to bitches on heat near by he is a randy wee B$@&*R and when he gets the sent of a bitch on heat goes all funny and this seems to be when he is off his food. I think this is quite normal for males to get all aggitated and have funny behaviuor when they smell a possibility of some lovin Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two eat well. since moving to landywoods raw meat they have eaten every meal, with the exception of raw minced chicken which they just simply dont like.

when I tried to feed amp raw they would not even look at it and went hungry for two whole days

when I fed dog food they both regularly picked at their food and left it at least two or three days a week.

so, when mine do not eat it is because they just do not like what i was feeding them
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny and Jack eat all the time .... they too are greedy wee b*ggers - seems to be with Cocker Spaniels!! If they ever do not eat - I panic - even the latest coughing and sneezing has not upset their consumption of food and treats!!! Doogle is so sweet by the way Smile
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie eats everything, always, and looks for more.

Mandy will pick - she just isn't motivated by food. She eats some of her breakfast, sometimes, but usually eats her dinner. It doesn't worry me - it's just her.

They have to be fed in separate rooms, or Mandy would get nothing at all while Jodie would be one fat hound!!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto was very picky when we first got him until I sussed that he didn't like his kibble moistened, he preferred it crunchy. Since then, he's wolfed it down, even when he had colitis.
lynn 01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Bubbles goes through a non eating food phase about one day a week. Unfortunately it always coincides with her picking up stuff on the pavement when she is off the leash
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale occasionally walks away from a meal, but I just lift it and offer the next meal as usual and so far he's gone back eating normally.
There was a spell before the summer holidays when he decided he didn't like lamb but after a week or two of duck he finished the bag of lamb with no trouble. I think I'm lucky. Collies aren't really greedy or very fussy about their food. Balls and toy are much more important than food.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Roxy came along, Molly was a fussy wee thing. Now, as Molly has competition, she eats every morsel that she's given. Their bowls are always spotless and there's never a crumb left.

Molly gets her tea in the kitchen, Roxy gets hers in the hall. Molly is usually finished first as she gets less than Roxy. They wait for each other to leave their bowls (neither leaves until the bowl is clean) then they go to each others bowls and lick around them. Then the bowls get picked up and washed.

This is the routine every night for these two. Rolling Eyes
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola.....I agree....a bit of competition works wonders for any dog.....if one of mine doe not eat the other will take it, the next time they are more keen. this is not cruel.it is pack order for dogs........the way they live.

I don't 'fast' my dogs but sometimes I feed a small meal and other times a large one.....no two meals are every the same one after another Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: