Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How many dogs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: How many dogs? Reply with quote

I was almost persuaded to get Dale a friend yesterday. I heard about a 2 year old collie bitch who's being rehomed because the other dog in the house doesn't like her. I resisted the temptation, mainly because I could see it causing problems when it came to visiting Granny and Dale is just beginning to settle down himself.

However I wondered how many of you have more than one dog and whither you think dogs are happier with another dog for company. Also does having more than one make any difference to where you can take them, visiting , holidays etc.?
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got Jodie as a tiny pup. We lived in a flat and one dog was more than enough at the time.

When she was 3 we moved to our present house and got Mandy - by then Jodie was 3 and a half and the gap was too big. Jodie has never quite come to terms with Mandy and it is only because of their natures that they live (now) in perfect harmony. It was tricky at the outset. They are now 10 and 7.

In retrospect I would have had 2 from the same litter - I was put off by many negative articles I read at the time. Failing that I would have a gap of around a year but I would certainly have a second dog.

I was once told that one dog is wonderful - 2 are more than double the fun, and how right that advice was.

We holiday in "dog friendly" cottages - 2 dogs give us more problems than one without a doubt. We have less choice but we manage.

Despite that, I would absolutely love a third dog.
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know Janice I have the 2 girls Dora and Lizzy and i love javing two, Dora is not so sure about it just now as Lizzy is giving her a hard time just now as all she wants to do is play but they do love each other loads and it's very apparent when you catch them cuddled up together grooming eachother, mind you that could be a mother daughter thing? Walking 2 is no more hassell for me than one and they do have fun playing together, and it is especially helpful that thye are company for each other when we are out. So i would say yes yes yes go for it, as for holidays well in Scotland we have my mums in rothesay and alans family in Lewis so we don't have problems with taking them with us, and as for holidays abroad my parents take them so they are quite happy.
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having three is great for me but you are right in thinking it would limit us for going on holiday anywhere in the UK, most places take only 2 pets. This for us isn't much of a issue cos we don't really holiday in the uk. I think K9 company is important for dogs and if possible dogs should be kept in at least pairs (just my opinion) We are out for at least 3/4 hours a day and I am happier knowing they have each other Smile Lindy I don't think it is a mother daughter thing coz my three love each other as well Smile

Everyone in my street thinks we are mad having three but I honestly don't think its more work than having 2.
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ... got four ...no more work than two i think ... just a quick mention ... ive another two puppies booked for next year a rhodesian ridgeback and another lurchers from one of the litter i bred a few years back .. a granddaughter of moya ... all being well with my old pensioners that will take shirl and i up to 6 dogs in the house ... my own wee pack ... i dont forsee problems Shocked
Janis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too feel it is far better for a dog to have company of it's own sort!

i have always had 2 dogs and would never consider anything less! i feel i see the benefits when they play and lie together! when they are out yes their is always a dominant one ie gypsy but they have such great fun and if at any time when they are separated they do pine for one another if they don't have my full attention! so therefore i deduct from that if i were to have one she may be more attached and looking for more interaction . as for holidays well one dog can tie you as much as two or three can but i would never consider kenneling just one dog . my two definitely relied on each other for support and were great.

yet again it is a personal choice and what suits an individual and their circumstances! Smile
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How many dogs? Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
mainly because I could see it causing problems when it came to visiting Granny

Don't let granny spoil your fun, Janice.

I mean that quite seriously. Wink
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that my two have each other when we are out and they do enjoy play time together, for me I love having two together....
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice,

Roxy came along in August last year when Molly was 3. They have got on brilliantly well since the first day they met - I couldn't ask for them to get on any better than they already have done from day one. I love having two dogs - I prefer two, rather than three. I would have to get another 2 to have an even number and that is not going to happen! I love the combination I have now of a pedigree pup and a rescue crossbreed. It's nice that they are both different.

A friend of mine has three Poodles. Rosie, a black Toy, who is 14, Fliss, an apricot Miniature who is almost 3 and Leo, another Miniature, a red Poodle, who is 1.

Rosie was beginning to slow down at 11, and my friend felt she was quite sad on her own. So, she got Fliss as a puppy who gave Rosie a new lease of life. Rosie still does agility for fun at aged 14.

My friend says she was conned into having Leo. Rolling Eyes He is massive, at least 6 times the sizes of a normal Miniature Poodle. He is also 24 kilos - so you can guess how big he is! Shocked Laughing We think he's a throwback to the Standard Poodle.
Isabel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to get another one next year, more for doogle really Rolling Eyes So he has a wee pal when we go out Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabel wrote:
We are going to get another one next year, more for doogle really Rolling Eyes So he has a wee pal when we go out Laughing

Isabel,

I'm sure Doogle will love having a playmate. Wink He seems a very sociable creature! Smile
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wants another GSP - but I'm still coming to terms with the chaos and manky carpets. Though I was getting quite puppy broody playing with my sisters 2 wee springer puppies.

Still, as with kids, it's probably easier second time round and they could tire each other out.
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy having the two dogs too...........

In saying that there is almost 2 yrs difference in age, I don't recommend buying two puppies from the same litter or even two puppies unless you have plenty of time on your hands. If you have two puppies you have to spend time with them individually, more time than they spend with each other...............so that equals a whole lot of time , if not there will be a stronger bond between the dogs than with you and the dogs...................so you may become surplus to requirement until meal time of course then you're forgotten about again (hopes this makes sense)

Allan, I take my hat off to you, I don't think I could manage that many........................although I'm really tempted to look for a hungarian vizsla next year....................we'll see Rolling Eyes

Eleanor
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt tonight is the right time for me to give my opinion on this one!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had two dogs. This came about with my first Cocker pup that literally destroyed the kitchen and kept me awake all night with his howling. I asked the vet in desperation what I could do and he said - you may get double trouble but I'd suggest you get him a friend - it worked and has ever since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: