Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Teething Problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Teething Problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I had an email from a member whose dog is teething and in a bit of discomfort.......what did any of you do to help your own dogs through this stage?
All suggestions welcome!
Deborah Hamilton
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Teething Problems Reply with quote

Mishka wasn't too bad I don't think but I would put a carrot in the freezer occasionally and let her chew her way through it.
She also had a couple of toys that she liked us to hold to let her get a better grip on with her teeth.
Janice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale liked raw carrots though he made a fantastic mess with them. A shredder couldn't have done a better job Rolling Eyes

Stuffed kongs were good too especially frozen, but the best commercial toy was a Wiggly Giggly puppy dumb bell. It had different textures of rubber and it made a noise. He would spend ages chewing it and it lasted well considering the amount of use it got.

He also liked hide chews. Pets at Home do a pack for puppies and small dogs and you can give these to younger pups. I noticed some chews said they were only suitable for pups over 4 months.

Mind you there is nothing as good to chew as our kitchen vinyl. Laughing Laughing
kendal

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't even remember Gypsy or Inca having problems teething, but i do know that you can get 3 pigs ears for a pound at the pound shop its better than some of the pet shops and we find them to bit thicker too, cos my two love to chew Laughing

just thought id mention it. Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clean cloth/rag soaked in water then twisted into a knot and placed in the freezer. The water in it freezes and they have a great time chewing on it. Very Happy
Or simply an ice cube to play with - that was Diesels favourite.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put an old dish cloth soaked in water and put it in the freezer its the same idea as the rag! Our boys loved it and even now on a hot summers day we do it for them and they get hours of fun as well as cooling them down!! Although better to do it outside coz it does leave a bit of a mess!!!
Also someone told us quarter of a paracetamol....we did this don't know if we should have or not!!?? Confused
kendal

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we gave our two paracetamol after they were spayed it dose work, our vet said it was OK as long as you left a good bit of time between them. but that's like everything ells.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it did help them!
Especially when Coby bite of half keano's ear! He got a quarter every hour but it totally settled him!! Plus the fact he got to have cheese when he took it, maybe it was the cheese rather than the paracetamol! lol Laughing
x
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have never had any problems with any of my dogs teething but I hear bongela works a treat!
marcella

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've heard that too Fiona ............ although I've never tried on any of our dogs.
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
A clean cloth/rag soaked in water then twisted into a knot and placed in the freezer. The water in it freezes and they have a great time chewing on it. Very Happy
Or simply an ice cube to play with - that was Diesels favourite.

Thats what I used to do cheap and chearful. Although no matter what you do/use I found that they always still prefered that little bit of carpet or that little table end as you were not looking Laughing

Oh the joys, everybody loves puppies but my favourite stage is when they grow up lol
marcella

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes like the corner of the kitchen cupboard doors!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Laughing
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes we had that. I remember when Kip was a pup we had a house over in Seafar. I used to work part time and she was not on her own long as a friend used to take her out. Anyway one day, after being left for an hour. She somehow got out of the kitchen and into our livingroom and locked herself in, she tore the carpet (in the straightest line you have seen) from one end of the livingroom to the other Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a rescue shepherd years ago called Jasper .............. we came home one day and thought we'd been burgled. I opened the lounge door and was faced with nothing except bare floor boards. As I pushed the door open further there he was sitting right at the back of the lounge with the carpet all pulled back, the sofa a chair and the telly up there with him! Shocked

One other of his moments was when he ate the bottom stair ............ yes, most of the stair was eaten. Carpet, underlay, wood .......... the whole step. Shocked

But don't you just love puppies! Laughing
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thats so funny.

My friend has had GSDs all her life, she had a trekking centre and used to keep the dog in a portacabin for two hours while training the horses. Anyway one day she came back and saw a hole in the portacaboin and no do, panick, anyway there he was sitting outside sunning himself without a care in the world. You have to love them Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: