Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Male Border Collie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Rehoming/ Lost Dogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Male Border Collie Reply with quote

My vet phoned me today to see if I could help, Owner in at vet today to get 2 1/2 year old Border Collie PTS.
Apparently its nipping at the kids, can help but think its not the dogs fault here, its a very common story.

The vet has asked for time to fine new home.

Im not allowed to take it temporarily, as we have done that one before, although could'nt allow it to be PTS. Not its fault.

I believe dog is neutered.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Male Border Collie Reply with quote

carol wrote:
Apparently its nipping at the kids, .

typical Collie ......... Confused I think so many people take on Collies without giving it enough thought.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many people think BC's are easy to train.............
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this frustrates me, BC are great dogs IF you have the time, most families who get one soon find out they dont, leads to dog being mad, bit hyper which leads to being very highly strung and potentially aggressive. not dogs fault. i'll ask around, cant think of anyone off hand...
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad The idea of trying to get a young collie PTS makes me so angry.
Collies ARE NOT naturally aggressive. Of course they have strong herding instincts but even working dogs don't rush around biting sheep, not if they want to keep their job.
Every dog is an individual but they all need time, training and commitment. Yet they give you back so much that all the effort is more than worthwhile.
That's the fourth dog I've come across looking for a new home in the last couple of weeks. It's so sad and yet more puppies will end up unwanted after Christmas is over I expect.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Magz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so sad. Have you thought about getting in contact with the border collie rescues? or even putting a post up on dog pages.
Kiera had a high nipping instinct, she would nipp at our ankles. We managed to resolve that by not playing with her if she started that and gave her a firm no. took a wee while but they do get there.

ok must not look or I would go back to fostering again Shocked
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask about at work as there are quite a few dog lovers at Calderglen.
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Have you thought about getting in contact with the border collie rescues? or even putting a post up on dog pages.

I believe the vet has already contacted various rescue places, including dogs trust who cannot take the dog for at least 3/4 months.

Will keep trying.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor thing. Sad hopefully through the forum here someone may help find him a home.
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ive now got the male border collie at home!!! So if you don't mind asking around. Although a new home without children is preferred.

The man appeared at the vets this morning, not prepared to give the dog any more time, he said it nipped his 10 year old son, but now I have had him at home its apparent he must have also been giving the dog a bit of a beating and more.

Hes a poor frightened dog, who is a bit unsure (not surprisingly) of men and no doubt children. He doesn't seem bothered with the other dogs although he has at presently only met 2 of mine and he was in a crate at the time.

So far, I have noted that he hasent had any type of training and is extremely over weight.

If you could pass the word around, he is not a bad boy, just scared, think he would make a nice companion for someone, he is very bonnie, long hair (badly in need of groom) and with tradition bc markings. Although, think the new home would need to be prepared to put in some training time.

Will take photo and put on over the next few days. Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh how sad Carol. Sounds like this wee guy has had a hard time. Confused

I'm sure a photo will melt someone's heart! Wink
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. I would love to throttle these b******s necks who abuse animals. I really would. Evil or Very Mad

Hope the poor dog finds a good, new home soon. Well done you in taking him in just now. I'll certainly pass the word around aswell.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so sorry for this poor wee dog, thank goodness that you have taken him in Carol, you are amazing.
I wish that I knew someone who would take him, who had the time and patience to sort him out. I will definitely keep my ears open.
xxx
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Ben, I have renamed him so he doesnt associate his old name with his troubled pass.
He is a right sweetie, he's not a barker, and he's fine with other dogs. Very friendly and likes a pat, and he is very affectionate. As yet, I havent seen any working instinct and he certainly hasent tried to nip or even mouth. He has had a bit of a bad hair cut or a fight with a lawn mower, so i will give him a bath and groom in a day or two when he is more settled. His sore bit on his nose was due to a muzzle he was wearing when he was brought to the vet. He hasent had it on since and I havent found any need to even think about it. I think his story is all down to him trying to defend himself. He may have found the boy running around a bit to exciting and perhaps chased and got beaten in return. Who knows?
I have done my best with the photo, and he is a lot more handsome that the picture.

he likes to play with a ball, and will catch it if you through it to him, he would probably be very good at both flyball and agility, that is once he has lost some weight.

If you could ask around, I would be extremely grateful.
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love7 what a handsome chap he is!!!!!!
We will do our best to ask around. I'm sure he'll make a wonderful pet for someone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Rehoming/ Lost Dogs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: