Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Diarrhea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AGREE WITH MARCELLA STARVE THE WEE SOUL FOR 24 HOURS THEN INTRODUCE RICE AND CHICKEN AND I ALSO AGREE THAT JAKE IS LOOKING FAB ON RAW! I WILL CERTAINLY CHANGE OVER MY NEXT ONE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE TO RAW WHEN I GET HER!

SHE WILL BE FINE BUT I CAN BE VERY WORRYING! Smile
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janis. Yes it is very worrying. I really am just hoping that it is due to so much change in her life, or a little tummy bug that will clear up soon.

Will keep you all posted though. Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley,I just wanted to add my two-pence worth to back up what Marcella and Janis have said. Avoid Pedigree Chum. They have great advertising but terrible food. That is probably at the root of poor puppy's poo problem. It is always best to starve if she has the runs. Then feed her rice and chicken...
She should be fine once she adjusts to a good diet.
linsey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Hope the wee critter is better soon... I don't feed Leon raw food (although I am not at all against doing so and have considered it) but what I would say is if you aren't sure about raw food yet, you could try her on some chappie... the vet told me that it is the best of all the tinned foods and easy for the dog to digest.

It absolutely stinks, but Leon really likes it, so what can you do?!?!

Take care,

Lx
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with everything everyone has said so far, starving the for 24hrs is exactly what i do if either of my two have the runs, i also feed RAW and have fed my pup Lizzy on it from 4mths, basically when i started to look into feediong and behaviour and found out how closley they were linked, my two thrive on it have lovley coats, eat all there food happily and have nice clean teeth and it's very easy to pick up after them as their stools are small and very compacted because of the doet (I know a weird benefit but definatley one when we have to pick up after our dogs). Also just to back up what Linsey said Chappie is considered to be the best amoungst the tinned food as it has the least if any additives and preservaties and most dogs will happily eat it so you could even try that until you are ready to change onto RAW. Good luck Laughing
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linsey wrote:
some chappie... the vet told me that it is the best of all the tinned foods and easy for the dog to digest.

It absolutely stinks, but Leon really likes it, so what can you do?!?!

Take care,

Lx

I keep a couple of tins of Chappie in the cupboard for tummy upset recovery - it is fish based and easily digested.

We call it "Crappie"!!! Confused
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh my mum bought some chappie for the family dog at my mum and dads, and gee wizz..... Shocked puke_r
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to disagree with the starving for 24 hours im afraid, we would never recommend it for a pup so young, they dehydrate many times quicker than an adult, so would only recommend this for a dog over a year!
you should try boiled rice, scrambled egg with water or boiled chicken or white fish, little and often, a mouthful every 2 hours. Diarrhoea also adds to the dehydration so its important not to encourage this.
i worked at an emergency out of hours vets and we would frequently see puppies needing fluid therapy due to small bouts of D & V, it takes effect very quickly.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I have always not fed for 24hrs when a dog has a badly upset tummy......always plenty of fresh water available to the dog.

Young dogs can and do get the runs...........
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im so confused.... Confused Confused Confused
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley, if shes feeling a bit rubbish then theres no guarantee she'll take the drinking water left out, you need to encourage her to eat and drink little and often. shes only small and dehydrates at a much quicker rate than an adult dog.
i agree that adult dogs can be starved for 24 hours or more if feeling sick but a pup of her age and size it could be dangerous to do so. as long as the food is bland she should be fine. this is a common problem in puppies and it should pass, but starving will not help.
sorry your confused, everybody has their own opinions and ways of doing things, but from a veterinary medicine point of view this is what we would advise.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzanne l wrote:
i have to disagree with the starving for 24 hours im afraid, we would never recommend it for a pup so young, they dehydrate many times quicker than an adult, so would only recommend this for a dog over a year!
you should try boiled rice, scrambled egg with water or boiled chicken or white fish, little and often, a mouthful every 2 hours. Diarrhoea also adds to the dehydration so its important not to encourage this.
i worked at an emergency out of hours vets and we would frequently see puppies needing fluid therapy due to small bouts of D & V, it takes effect very quickly.

I have to agree, Suzanne. A puppy so young and small could suffer from 24 hour starvation. Your suggestions are sound.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tummy upset is being caused by bugs in the small intestine..........will more food not give the bugs something to feed on ....and therefore a means to survive? A dogs digestive system works far faster and is far more tolerant than that of a human.

I was always of the opinion that if starved for 24 hrs then the bugs would naturally die........then there would be no need to visit a vet and no need for an 'antibiotic'
Karen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ashley, sorry to read that your pup has been unwell. I can only go on my own personal experience and ive never starved a dog with an upset stomach. Very bland foods, tiny amounts often, as I read years ago that if bacteria in stomach, the food helps it pass through, this goes for children too! Always fed the children when they had upset stomachs.
3days is a long time for such a young puppy and just like babies they dehydrate very quickly.
If it was me I would take her back to vets for a check up, but ashley, this is just my personal opinion, listen to your own instincts.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashley,

how is the pup this morning??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: