Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Diarrhea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Diarrhea Reply with quote

Thought I would put this in the feeding section... but not sure where it should go....

Holly still has diarrhea and I'm not sure if it is still because she is settling in and a bit nervous (since she's only been with us for about 3 and a half days), or if it is something else.
We had her at the vets on Monday for a check up and to register her there. It was Mrs Lawrie we saw (who i'm not too sure about... I remember her being 'not-so-good' with the rats (yes, i had rats too lol), and felt she was very jittery. She didnt seem to listen to anything we had said, and was asking us questions that we'd already provided the information for several times. This put us off a little. Sad Confused

I contacted the breeder and she said it would maybe be worth feeding Holly some boiled rice and hard-boiled egg for 48 hours and see how her wee tummy is then. Do you think this is a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Oh, also, who is the Irish guy that works at the Lawrie vets.... I remember him from months and months ago as he was brilliant with the rats, really gentle and friendly. Anyone know who I am talking about? I think he was Irish lol Shocked Confused Very Happy

I know, I know, I'm getting all worked up over everything Laughing Shocked Very Happy Laughing Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley, try not feeding her. If her diarrhea is still bad then leave her with water only for 24 hours. (this will do her no harm whatsoever) This will kill off any we bugs in her tummy. Then feed her some rice, chicken, a little fish or something light like that. Once she's eaten those with no diarrhea then you can add her usual dog food.
What dog food are you feeding her?
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't remember the Irish guys name, but the other good vet is Mr Orsie , young guy long ponytail. He's good. Smile
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The puppy food we have at the moment for her is pedigree puppy which we put a little warm water with to make it a bit softer (thats probably not helping is it?? Confused ). This is what the breeder fed her, mixed with a tiny bit of soft food.
This sort of food wont be my choice for her when she is older though... Smile
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashley

I hope Holly is recovering.

We won't see Mrs Lawrie, for the reasons you mention and more, but I won't go into that here!

Graham Leathers is the Irish vet and he's excellent. As Marcella says, Mr Orsie is great too as is Ian Shilliday, the Australian vet and the American one.

Cosmopolitan lot, aren't they!
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Enid!
You actually made us feel better there. I was starting to think that maybe it was me who was just on edge at the vets, but I just felt that considering I am paying for a service, I'd like to leave the vets feeling reassured, and if not reassured, then a bit more clued up! I wont rant on here though - i'll save it all up!! lol

I'll definitely make an appointment with someone else next time. Took a note of the names (and nationalities so I can remember). Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try her on something different. If you don't fancy raw feeding then have a look at James Wellbeloved or Burns. Both these dry foods are of a higher quality (pedigree Chum is one of the poorest quality foods Sad full of unhealthy additives that easily cause upset in some dogs.
There is a massive amount of info on feeding here and you'll find that almost everyone will tell you Pedigree is not the way to go.
The food you feed a puppy will determine not only their growth but their nature too, lots of these dry foods are so high in protein that you end up with a hyperactive destructive puppy on your hands. Confused
If she has an upset right now, don't go back to Pedigree, try something different when she's got rid of her upset. But stick with leaving fresh water available to her for the rest of the day - no solids whatsoever and see how she is in the morning. If she's better then try a small light meal at lunchtime tomorrow. I'm sure that will do the trick Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:

We won't see Mrs Lawrie, for the reasons you mention and more, but I won't go into that here!

Graham Leathers is the Irish vet and he's excellent. As Marcella says, Mr Orsie is great too as is Ian Shilliday, the Australian vet and the American one.

Cosmopolitan lot, aren't they!

Saw her once and she didn't fill me with confidence either!!!!! The American guy is nice too ........ don't know his name either.

Yes ........... nice wee collection of foreigners there!!!!! Laughing
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcella, thats great!! Well I wasnt too happy feeding her on Pedigree, but wasnt sure whether to try and change her over gradually. I would rather feed raw meat.... is it ok to do this whilst she is a pup? Do I just chop it up really small?

Oh I have so much to learn Very Happy Very exciting!

Glad to be getting rid of Pedigree though, and if you think it'll be ok to switch now, then thats what i'll be doing!! Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley, Fiona's pup Jake has been fed raw since he was born and he thriving on it!!!!
When she's better try her on a little raw mince, no need to chop it then Smile She may be a little unsure first of all but normally they all love it!
Lorna with Bubbles (who was VERY picky eating food) just tried her on minced tripe which I gave her some of to try and Bubbles devoured it in record time!!!!
If you like I can give you a pound of mince (we buy from Landywoods who sell for a BARF diet) it will last you a few meals with a little pup that size!!! See how she gets on. Smile
I can meet up with you up the glen when we're walking or I can drop a little bit off to you to try her on it. Smile
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake has always been fed raw, the breeder fed him raw and I have continued to do so. He is now 5 and a half months old.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella, I will definitely be coming to the dog training next tuesday so I could get some then if that would be ok - just let me know cost etc. That would be great. In the meantime, after her period of recovery, I'll try her on some mince and see how she does!
Very Happy Very Happy Thank you x
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no probs Very Happy I'll bring a wee bit with me - no cost, call it a 'sample' Very Happy
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Thank you Very Happy

"Sample" makes me think of pee and poo! Shocked Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it smells like poo!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Laughing Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: