Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Diarrhea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen,

We used tap water, boiled it in the kettle, and then let it cool down. Do you think that could be whats upsetting her tummy?
I use tap water as the source of her drinking water though?
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no Ashley thats perfect it was just incase you had used water from the hot tap direct, I do hope she is feeling better good luck for visit to vets,
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread.

For normal stomach upsets in dogs and puppies, i'm of the belief that starving them for a day (24 hours) with plenty of fresh water was the best thing to do. Surely feeding them when they have diarrhea will only add to the problem by not allowing the body to flush the toxins out? Providing the dog is otherwise healthy and possible conditions/diseases have been ruled out, they won't be harmed if they're starved for a day, they won't dehydrate either if they have fresh water available all day, to stop dehydration and to help clean the body.

Young puppies of Holly's age are very likely to have diarrhea as they are experiencing new surroundings, smells, people etc and also perhaps the changing of food and amounts. Unless you think it's "normal" diarrhea it's probably best to see the vet.

Remember at that age their immune systems aren't as strong and are still being built up, and perhaps they've not had all their vaccinations at that age either. So diarrhea could be caused by any number of things in a puppy that age. (Including diseases that vaccinations protect against).

When Molly was 12 weeks old, she had diarrhea. It could have been caused by any of the above.. I decided to take her to the vet - the same vet I see now - who advised me to starve her for a day but give her access to fresh water all day to help flush out the system, then start feeding her small amounts of food the next day and build her up again. The diarrhea was completely gone in a couple days and she was fine.

Hope Holly is ok and continuing to improve.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed part of my post as i've just realised Holly doesn't get boiled water to drink! I must stop skimming over posts. Embarassed Laughing

Both my dogs get tap water which is put through a water jug filter. I discovered that unfiltered tap water can cause discolouration in the hair surrounding the mouth of white and light coloured dogs! Which is the only reason they get filtered tap water most of the time! Embarassed Laughing
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Interesting thread.

For normal stomach upsets in dogs and puppies, i'm of the belief that starving them for a day (24 hours) with plenty of fresh water was the best thing to do. Surely feeding them when they have diarrhea will only add to the problem by not allowing the body to flush the toxins out? Providing the dogs is otherwise healthy, they won't be harmed if they're starved for a day, they won't dehydrate either if they have fresh water available all day, to stop dehydration and to help clean the body.

Young puppies of Holly's age are very likely to have diarrhea as they are experiencing new surroundings, smells, people etc and also perhaps the changing of food and amounts. Unless you think it's "normal" diarrhea it's probably best to see the vet.

Remember at that age their immune systems aren't as strong and are still being built up, and perhaps they've not had all their vaccinations at that age either. So diarrhea could be caused by any number of things in a puppy that age. (Including diseases that vaccinations protect against).

When Molly was 12 weeks old, she had diarrhea. It could have been caused by any of the above.. I decided to take her to the vet - the same vet I see now - who advised me to starve her for a day but give her access to fresh water all day to help flush out the system, then start feeding her small amounts of food the next day and build her up again. The diarrhea was completely gone in a couple days and she was fine.

Hope Holly is ok and continuing to improve.

Colitis is not normal diarrhoea (see my previous post). It does not occur in the stomach or the small intestine which is why it is less serious. Nutrients have almost completely been absorbed by the time the site of the infection has been reached.

To starve a small pup might be dangerous without vet. advice.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about colitis, obviously it's not normal diarrhea. If a puppy has colitis and the vet advises that it should still be fed then of course that's probably the right thing to do. That's why I would suggest seeing the vet if the owner feels it's not "normal" diarrhea to get conditions like this ruled out.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I definitely dont think its 'normal' diarrhea, especially when there is mucus present... but we'll see what the vet says tomorrow and i'll let you guys know Very Happy
Fingers crossed its nothing too serious Exclamation
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly will be in very good hands tomorrow, Ashley.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to see your vet with Holly, Ashley. Good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure you'll let us know how she gets on.

I have a friend whose dog occasionally has bowel movements which are covered in a mucus-like membrane . I can't remember for the life of me what the vet said about it, the dog is fine though, she's 9 years old. I'll give her a phone (my friend, that is, not the dog! Laughing ) tomorrow to find out the details and i'll let you know what she says. I don't think it's anything to worry about though, could be just a fibre issue. Smile
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley good luck today, im sure she'll be fine and it'll just be nerves at moving in. let us know how she gets on.
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope all went well at the vets. If it is colitis my Danny has had that on and off all his life and - touch wood - for the last three years we seem to have it under control. Let us know and I'll let you know Danny's routine and hopefully some useful tips.
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope little holly got on ok
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks,
Vets went well today. I took some poo in a little food bag with me and he said it didnt look too bad and was probably due to the stress of moving in, plus having just been wormed, but he also said it could be colitis. He gave me something to mix into her food to help her poos.
He had also said that her ears looked fine (which was not what Mrs Lawrie said Rolling Eyes ) and also said that she seems lively and healthy. So he basically said that as long as she is happy and lively and eating and drinking properly then not to worry too much. It may just be a case of getting her diet right.
Cool
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great bet your relieved Laughing
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so pleased, Ashley!

Now you can both relax and start enjoying each other!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: