Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Feeding Advice??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Feeding Advice?? Reply with quote

Have been reading through a lot of the posts about feeding and I'm now not sure what I should be feeding Millie (11 week BC) Confused ??

She is fed on pedigree dry at the moment but reading previous threads this doesn't seem to be an ideal choice!

I have read about the raw diet but i don't think that would suit me very well as I'm not very good with meat Sad

I would like to keep her on mainly dry food but with maybe a little variety for a treat such as possibly chicken or something like that??

Does anyone have any advice???

Sorry if it is a bit of a ramble!!! Embarassed
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James well beloved is the best on the market as far as I know Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, James Wellbeloved or Burns if you want to feed dry food. Bin the Pedigree Confused and whatever you do avoid Bakers!!!!! You'll end up with one VERY lively collie on your hands feeding either of these! Smile
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she is a very hyper dog even after playing in the garden, but I was thinking it could be down to not being able to go for walks yet.

But after reading a lot of the threads i am now thinking it could be her diet as well.

I think I will go with burns.

Any recommendations on how to switch foods??
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you contact Burns online I think they give good advice and also they might send you a sample!!!!!
Sheryl switched her dogs to Burns ........... she got quite a bit of advice from them.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeding is the most important decision you can make regarding your dogs health and well being.

Get as much info as you can and make your own mind up..........generally the less additives the better.........read labels and understand what they mean ( for example 'chicken meal' does NOT mean tasty pieces of chicken breast meat Confused )

Every dog is different and will respond to a particular food in it's own way.........what works well for one dog may not work for another.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use James Wellbeloved - dog loves it and he seems to be thriving.

The amount worries me though - we fed him more than they stated and he was still very thin. So have upped it to 600g a day. (He is still growing and is meant to be lean).
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake currently eats 950g per day (most days a little more) and he is only 5 months old Laughing I think the recommended amount for him is something like 600g but no way could I get away with that! He is perfect weight just now. Think that's why they are only guidelines, I just amended it as I see fit Smile
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed a holistic diet which is suitable for dog of all ages. Luaths recipe by George Burns
From 12 week to senior, because it is an all natural food its easily digested by all ages.
It also has the super food "Spirulina" and "green tea", along with brown rice, chicken (which is suitable for human consumsion) and lots of natural food, and no additives.

http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikki, remember that collies are naturally very excitable and hyper anyways! especially if not out for walks yet so dont expect a miracle! once shes bigger you'll be able to walk her for miles and she'll still be ready to go!! its hard to tire a collie!
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, BC, was on JWB when he came to us and is now on Burns. I can't honestly say I see much difference but Burns is a smaller Scottish company and JWB is owned by Pedigree. I have a friend who uses Arden Grange which also seems to good. Again it doesn't have artificial additives or lots of E-numbers.

An adult working collie would probably be eating about 22-24% protein so a non-working dog will need less. Pups need more, but a lot of people would advise getting them on to adult food sooner rather than later, possibly as early as 12 weeks, but talk to your vet. Puppy and junior food usually has higher protein levels and this encourages faster growth. The problem with this is it can increase the chances of joint problems.

If you're using dry food don't be tempted to add too many extras. Its balanced and adding to it upsets the balance. I only add a bit of fruit or veg for variety. Collies aren't usually fussy eaters just watch the protein levels. They've got plenty of energy as it is Laughing Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arden Grange is also a good choice! A lot of GSD breeders use that too.
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody great advice I will definitely have to do some more reading!!!

Only one more day until she gets out so hopefully see some difference in her energy!! Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used James Wellbeloved, Burns and Arden Grange on my Westie - all three with success. I'm now, for the timebeing, sticking with Burns chicken and brown rice, they both seem to be thriving on it.

The James Wellbeloved, Burns and Arden Grange treats/biscuits are good aswell.

I agree with Marcella, stay well away from Pedigree complete foods, and supermarket complete foods.
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzanne l wrote:
nikki, remember that collies are naturally very excitable and hyper anyways! especially if not out for walks yet so dont expect a miracle! once shes bigger you'll be able to walk her for miles and she'll still be ready to go!! its hard to tire a collie!

Hi Suzanne,
Im sorry to disagree here, yes there are a lot of collies who are "excitable and hyper", but thats not their fault and is mainly due to lack of basic training and ground rules and in some cases unsuitable homes and a bad diet. Enthusiastic about everything in life shouldnt be mistaken for "excitable and hyper". Walking a BC for miles just means the dog will come to expect it (not that Im saying don't take your bc on long walks as they do need exercise) and when the walks are not there and there is nothing to take there place, the bc will look for an alternative. BC's need a routine , and a set of rules, they then become happy, contented dogs. Basically start as you mean to go on.
A young BC pup needs, brain actives not walks, (they have fragile bones we must care for until they are at least 14 months old)
Clicker training is a more beneficial activity for a young Border Collie, its tiring on their brain and they benefit from the training too! Smile
Carol

Sorry to go on, but I see many, many border collies who basically need some basic training and a set of ground rules to turn them back into "normal" dogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: