Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
5th Birthday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Pictures of Our Pets and Our Walks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: 5th Birthday. Reply with quote

A bit belated but Cassy turned five on the 25th.

She's a great little dog, probably the best I will ever own. Always does what you ask and never complains, walks on the lead like a dream and does not bother with anything around her whether it dogs or sheep etc, apart from folk which she drags you towards and demands attention lol She's a very sweet nature.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Laura......I like seeing a lean dog where you can just see the ribs.......I have to say I have upset a few club members by telling them to up the exercise or cut back on the food............but I have to be honest and call it like I see it Very Happy

too many owners think that loads of food and too many treats is kindness Evil or Very Mad
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too John I always like to see the last few ribs on a dog, obviously with a short coated dog it is easier to see, when a dog is truly fit (short coated) you can always see the latissimus dorsi which is the muscle that runs like a line along the ribcage. I know what you mean, its difficult telling folk how a dog feels better with less weight, people often comment mine must be a cross because they are so used to seeing heavier animals, sometimes folk with bully and mastiff types equate bulk with strength which cant be further from the truth. With a bitch I love to see a "tuck up" where they are light in the loin area.
Deborah Hamilton
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 5th Birthday. Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
A bit belated but Cassy turned five on the 25th.

She's a great little dog, probably the best I will ever own. Always does what you ask and never complains, walks on the lead like a dream and does not bother with anything around her whether it dogs or sheep etc, apart from folk which she drags you towards and demands attention lol She's a very sweet nature.

Looks brilliant condition Laura
kendal

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean john you should see some of the dogs we get at the kennels particularly the spaniels and other small breeds. then some larger breeds like rottweilers etc.

can i ask why it is seen as a good thing to see the dogs ribs as i would have immediately thought that to be unhealthy, although i can see that Cassy is healthy cos of her mussels.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kendal,
dogs should not carry to much weight.............much healthier to be lean and fit.....being able to see their ribs is a good sign..........less joint problems when a dog carries no excess weight......like an athlete............just look at Lauras dog Cassie! .......then look at some of the dogs who come to class................no comparison.....lean = healthy for a dog(and humans)
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you think of Gypsy and Inca, i would have thought that they were OK but maybe that's just cos it me.
Inca is a Little heaver set than gypsy but we always put that down to the cocker in her and that her fur is gaining length which is what we want because we don't like them as short as they are at the moment.

or am i just making myself paranoid now Embarassed
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kendal,

your two are a perfect size and weight for their breed.......both healthy, happy dogs that are full of life........and mischief Very Happy
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me with any breed of dog you should always be able to feel a tuck up after the ribs, run your hands along your dogs back after the ribcage you should always see a dip, then at the hind a rise again, in and then out from above so to speak. Looking from the side a "tuck up" should always be visible. Where the ribs are (from the side) it should rise right up so that a sweeping affect is apparent. Now if your dog doesnt have this it isnt overweight but it could probably do with less food.

Whether dogs are long or short haired I always like to see or feel the last two ribs, if they are not visible you want to feel a dip behind the ribs which shows the animal has a waistline. Like ourselves dogs can become heavier or leaner what they do not have control over is the weight they sit at. If you look at wolves in the wild generally you can see the backbone and ribs (under the coat) they keep enough fat to survive but don't have so much that it will hinder their performance or ability to move in a fast situation, just like us the more weight they carry the more strain is put on internal organs and ability to perform at their best.

Twice a year I bring my dog to peak fitness which means stripping of ALL body fat but at maximum strength. I wouldn't recommend this unless you understand the workings of the canine body and diet. The reason we only do it twice a year is that more than this is unsustainable the animal itself feels great and is bouncing off the walls, as with all athletes there has to be a resting period. Sorry to ramble hope it makes sense, I get a lot of requests for information and help on diet and so forth my only advice is that dogs are not fat by nature we make them so, you would be surprised how little a dog needs to be healthy and survive. We try to be as basic as possible and all our dogs are fit and healthy. Take a step back and think some more that's always my advice.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See and people laugh at me when I say Pixel is too fat, she has no waist and no muscle definition and thats why we dont do well competing in lurcher shows with all the working dogs Rolling Eyes Laughing
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but she is still gorgeous.Very Happy
i think that as long as you feel that you are going home with the best dog that is all that maters. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Pictures of Our Pets and Our Walks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: