Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
crate training again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree there is a bit of deja vu hear.

the point of this thread was to say that although my girls are crate trained, i have had to start from scratch when using there new one which due to its size needed to be in a different part of the house two what they are used to.

kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be really contravecial here.

Until very recently I would have said I would never raise a hand to my dogs again. Lindsay as an ex policeman has a very different view - he is a true, pain compliance' believer and when we first got bob he used to give him a sharp jab in his back leg when he was doing the commando stuff trying to get onto his belly to pull at other dogs - Bob is seven and half stone of pure dominance and it must have terrified other dog owners.

This drove me nuts, and Lindsay also gave Dodge a good slapping when he hit the postman.

Eventually I got Lindsay to promise me he would never lift another hand to my boys and he has not.

However, I gave bob a sharp jab in his back leg this week. I have been trying to get the dogs and the cat to get along, but Bob persists in going for the cat. The cat has started standing her ground and a couple of weeks ago swiped bob right across his nose, even this did not stop bob having a go at her. I am at my wits end - I am absolutely terrified that bob kills the cat when I am out one day or that he looses an eye - which is pretty common.

I have tried, praise, stern verbal correction, praise when he leaves her alone - nothing is working. So not in temper but with calm authority as soon as he went for the cat, I gave him a sharp jab in his big muscle in his leg like lindsay used to do. His ears went straight down he lowered his head and ran right down the stairs.

Anyone who knows Bob knows I can give him a sharp correction with his prong, I can hold him by the scruff and look right into his face and say no - no matter what I do bob looks at me as if to say -bring it on kirsty - is that all you've got - I dont give a monkeys.

I have yet to discover if Bob will go for the cat again - he may well - but he knows the consequences.

Again - If I had had him from a puppy, I to an extent could have influenced his behavior - but he is the stubbornest big lump - luckily for me he is really biddable, but if bob wants to do something or not do something - he will do as he pleases.

I would have said I would never see any circumstance where it is ok to hit your dog. But better a correction than a dead cat or a blind dog. - the idea of either option terrifies me. I wouldnt do that to bob for just disobeying me, or misbehaving but I am at my wits end trying to stop potentially fatal behaviour.

I do agree with ceasars methods - he never hurts a dog. just blocks it with his leg and foot. Ceasars methods are more practical and realistic with dominant dogs especially large dominant dogs.

Thats my tuppence worth. I do respect that others may disagree (it does not make them a bad person Very Happy Very Happy )

Nicola I know you will probably be horrified - but it just my experience of my own dogs. Lindsays methods while I abhor them did work with bob. When lindsay has bob on the lead -he NEVER barks at other dogs. When I have him on the lead he is like the hound from hell, pulling and barking and trying to get at the other dogs - he is in no way affraid of lindsay and loves him to bits.
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ................ I lose my broadband connection for a few hours and you all start WW3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

Nicola, whilst I understand your opinion I don't think Kendal deserved a telling off!!!!!! Kendal is great with her dogs, she has a VERY gentle and unassuming nature and loves her dogs more than you could imagine! Her dogs are well cared for and extremely happy and healthy.

Now.................. without further ado.................. let's get back on topic and let this matter rest. Smile

Kendal, I'm glad they are getting used to their new crate. All they need now is 'Gyspy' and 'Inca' embroidered blankets!!!!!!!!!!! Wink
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't put ideas in to my mums head. Very Happy Laughing

Janis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="marcella" All they need now is 'Gyspy' and 'Inca' embroidered blankets!!!!!!!!!!! Wink[/quote]

Idea sign7 santa has been informed!!!!! Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
[quote="marcella" All they need now is 'Gyspy' and 'Inca' embroidered blankets!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

Idea sign7 santa has been informed!!!!! Laughing[/quote]

Very Happy Very Happy Janis, where do you source all this? or have you gone the needle and thread out in the wee hours?
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not starting and do not want to start an argument, but physically striking any dog absolutely horrifies me and is a total disrespect to the animal. No matter how far the dog pushed me, I wouldn't hit it.

Those who say physically hitting a dog "sorts out" the severe problems some dogs have is a disgrace. I don't believe for a second that it does "sort out" the problem but instead represses it only for the problem to manifest itself as another, or very possibly the problem reappearing later on.
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty,

You're right - I am horrified. My grandfather is an ex-policeman but would never dream of hurting any dog. He's 72 and has had dogs almost all his life - he has never hit a single one nor has he felt the need to.

When you say Cesar Millan 'blocks the dog with his foot' - how do you mean? I've yet to see him do this, and I do watch the episodes with great interest and attention. A friend of mine records the episodes on Sky 3 for me, she dropped over a new disc at the weekend. Again, I will watch them closely.
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicola ... your entitled to your opinion ... but in my opinion your wrong .when a large dog ( ridgeback ) is bouncing all over you a physical correction is often he only way it will take notice ... note her im not talking about hammering the dog .. but a dog this size does not feel or respond to a tap .
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
nicola ... your entitled to your opinion ... but in my opinion your wrong

That's absolutely fine, Allan. I have no problem with you, or anyone else, thinking i'm wrong. Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK................. can I ask that should you anyone wish to continue with the conversation of animal cruelty that it is done on another thread please, there is one already exsisting where it was discussed 'is hitting your dog acceptable?' Please use that thread. This has gone off topic. Sad

I kindly ask again that this please return to crate training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the girls have also learned now that the new crate is where there water is and are whining when Iness Evil or Very Mad closes the door over. i think the have settled in fine now as there was no barking last night even when my brother came in at midnight or their abouts. Laughing

marcella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good going Kendal. Very Happy
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John

Sometimes peoples reactions can make me question myself and my methods (but only for a wee while Very Happy ) the cats life and Bob keeping his sight call for extreme measures.

thanks again
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty ............ in case you are wondering where his post went......... I removed it because he went off topic again!!!!! Laughing he got a slap on the wrist and told to post you a pm or start another thread!!!!!!!!

back to crate training ................... again
sorry Kendal Embarassed Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: