Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dogs living with cats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully my two get on with my three cats and one in particular! inca just loves murphy and it is a lickfest of devotion every morning when inca gets up! poor murphy just stands there while inca descends her wet tongue all over her, tail and bottom rapidly wagging at the same time! you can read murphy's mind while this is going on! "not long now, she's run out of salivia soon!"

then it's a case of settling down and inca gypsy and murphy can settle down together! it's really nice to see them lying back to back sharing the body heat!

as for my other two diesel and yosser they just do their own thing but murphy does have a special place with the dogs! there is no rivalry or spats they just get along!
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our pets have always gotten on with each other, and we've introduced cats to dogs and vice versa. i think a home environment is different, breno and brodie would never touch boston in the house and they all get on, but would chase him if they saw him outside, possibly not realising it was him... over time most relationships will work out, even if its just that they all ignore each other.
breno and brodie got on with the family rabbit and all 4 animals could lie out in garden together, old neighnour said it was the funniest thing she had seen Laughing got pictures of the dogs lying asleep with this dwarf rabbit asleep in their tails, so cute!!
my kitten is 8months old now and im getting my pup end of jan, so im hoping all will go well as they are still so young, banjo is a confident wee cat and dealt with breno and brodie together so im sure a wee pup will be fine.....i hope!
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzanne l wrote:
got pictures of the dogs lying asleep with this dwarf rabbit asleep in their tails, so cute!!

I'd like to see those pics Suzanne!!!!! Very Happy
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll say to my mum to bring them in Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do think some dogs will never get on with cats but most of them do learn...it depends on a lot of work though Rolling Eyes

When we did grehound re homing one of the things we did was cat test and there are 3 types of dog. 1 one who even after being a racing greyhound chasing a mechanical hare for a few years wont look a cat in the eye, 2 the ones that even the sent of the cat drives them wild and nothing in this earth will let you get them used to being with cats and 3 the ones who really want to taste that cat but who can be persuaded that no, cats are not a snack in between meals Very Happy

The cat killers you know withing 2 seconds...oh and our cats were never in any danger during this cat testing...honest Very Happy
and I dont think Bob or Dodge are in this category..I think no3 is what they are, no 2s you know no matter what you are never going to get it to work so why bother Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
my old dog bess was a working lurcher ... she had killed over 18 known cats in her life up until she was about 10yrs old ... yeah shocking i know ... the point is when shirl and i got married we decided to get not 1 but 2 cats ... bess never looked twice at them the wrong way ... in my opinion .. with work ... almost any dog can be taught to be reliable with a house cat .... not all ... but most ...it again comes down to pack leadership ... wats mine is mine ..not the dogs

Allan,

I've been thinking about this and all I can say on this is that i'm truly disgusted. Why on earth after the first cat she murdered, was she allowed to go and murder more? Surely something should have been done after the first murder. One muder is bad enough.

If a dog murdered any of our cats I would fight to have that dog destroyed, without question.
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicola ..disgusted or not .. apart from catching and killing rabbits ... protection of my birds... (pigeons and parrots worth thousands of pounds) was her job and her purpose in life ... you can be as disgusted as you like ... but feral cats and cats that no'one bothers with are a big problem to bird keepers .. and i make no apologies for this fact
when cat owners start to take responsibility for their animals .. they will be safe until then if my dogs get a feral cat ... no big deal . its one less murdering scum on the face of this planet ... remember however im a cat owner .. but i take the responsibility for my cats actions ..

again ... i make no apologies ... i may be less than popular after this post .. but my dogs work for a living .. they are more than pets
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cat Freya will not tolerate Rufus! He is desperate to play with her, and stands wagging his tail, but the noises that she makes to him! And she has caught him on the nose once too, so now I have given up trying to integrate them and just keep them seperate. I do feel a bit bad for Freya, as it was her house first, but really it is her choice not to talk to him! She is not in the slightest bit scared of him, and is still happy enough to sit on top of the sofa where he can't get her!
linsey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
nicola ..disgusted or not .. apart from catching and killing rabbits ... protection of my birds... (pigeons and parrots worth thousands of pounds) was her job and her purpose in life ... you can be as disgusted as you like ... but feral cats and cats that no'one bothers with are a big problem to bird keepers .. and i make no apologies for this fact
when cat owners start to take responsibility for their animals .. they will be safe until then if my dogs get a feral cat ... no big deal . its one less murdering scum on the face of this planet ... remember however im a cat owner .. but i take the responsibility for my cats actions ..

again ... i make no apologies ... i may be less than popular after this post .. but my dogs work for a living .. they are more than pets

Quite right Allan - you should stand by what you have said. After all, that is just the way of the world and the way of nature - there is no point being namby pamby about it - I mean, it isn't as if you took fluffy little kittens home for the dog to eat after all!

Aye - It's a big bad world.
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think less of you Allan, I already had a low opinion of you Laughing Laughing Laughing Only kidding! Laughing

In my opinion if a dog kills a cat it should not even be considered being PTS, come on honestly?!? Yeah ok steps should be taken to prevent it ever happening again but to even consider such drastic steps is beyond me!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get a cat, but Ian hates them and I doubt very much it would be safe from Otto.

He's a big softy, but cats and birds are for chasing. I also saw what he did to a dead rabbit. Gross.

I think it depends on the breed maybe - dogs bred to retrieve and hunt, will probably do just that with a cat.

But cats are not daft - we used to have a cat regularly poo in our garden. Doesn't now.
linsey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
I don't think less of you Allan, I already had a low opinion of you Laughing Laughing Laughing Only kidding!

LMAO!

Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan I dont think anything less of you.

You and Shirley certainly live in a world which I have no experience of - having never been in the vicinity of working dogs, working ferrets etc - so I am in no position to judge your values regarding your animals. All I know of you is what I have seen and you seem to love your pets, they are well cared for and happy (even though pixel would have us believe she is half starved and her only sustenance the treats she manages to scrounge) Very Happy Very Happy

I think you talk a lot of dog sense and have certainly helped me in my early days with Dodge and his dominance/aggression. (and helped me about left turning him on a one to one basis when you take the floor and do some dog training in our training class) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
I don't think less of you Allan, I already had a low opinion of you Laughing Laughing Laughing Only kidding! Laughing

In my opinion if a dog kills a cat it should not even be considered being PTS, come on honestly?!? Yeah ok steps should be taken to prevent it ever happening again but to even consider such drastic steps is beyond me!

Steps obiously weren't put in place if the dog went on to kill 17 more cats.
linsey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'ya think it will be a competition to see who can get the last word in again?! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: