Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
RAW diet information?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: RAW diet information? Reply with quote

Hi

Am looking for references and articles etc on the RAW diet.

My friend with the staffie feeds her dog on a combination of the RAW and Burns holistic food and alters the diet for when he is due to compete in doll pulls etc. She has told me bits about it, but you know what its like with that much information, especially when you haven't currently got an animal of your own to apply it to.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Cassie
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when someone has an open mind!!!!!!

I feed my two GSD's a completely raw diet.

my last GDS bitch died of cancer at the age of 3, Diesel one of my current dogs has suffered from joint problems from a young age............this prompted me to look for some answers to a great many questions....and it all seemed to come back to diet.
My investigation led me to the conclusion that a species appropriate diet was the healthiest option, basically it is a diet that a wild dog would eat.....a combination of raw meat and bones.

at first it took a bit of work but now it's normal........my daughter Emily thinks it is gross.

The dogs eat mainly fresh chicken backs and wings ( free from a local butcher Very Happy ), dirty tripe,shin of beef, minced beef, raw bone with plenty of meat on them (28p for 4 in Morrisons)

The dogs are leaner, fitter, healthier, have better coats, less smelly breath, cleaner teeth and when they go to the toilet the volume is around 20% of what they used to pass and the big bonus is diesels joints are much improved and it is cheaper than the petfood we used to feed........a bit more work but well worth it. If you are feeling VERY brave google 'whats in pet food'

If you like Staffies...have a look here
http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=145

Laura feeds hers a raw diet.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
If you are feeling VERY brave google 'whats in pet food'

oh I had that one from my mate...pedigree scum she calls it..and after that I changed my cats to the burns cat food! They hunt their own of course which is probably why I more open to the idea of the RAW!

Nothing like standing in mouse intenstines first thing in the morning Shocked

Am sorry to hear about your Dog John! Its horrible to loose any pet, but to disease is just heartbreaking!
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: what do you feed your dog Reply with quote

Hi - Im with John on the raw diet. I have been feeding my two on raw for a few months now. I have two German Shepherds and my white one was scratching like mad, it was constant and he was miserable - Within a 3 or 4 weeks of the change in diet the scratching had stopped. I still have a lot to learn, but I feed them the appropriate amount of mince for their weight and alternate with lamb, beef, chicken mince and am about to try tripe chunks, they love ox heart and shin of beef - have a supplier who is very reasonable and like john I get my chicken carcus free. Storage for the food is something to consider and I have a freezer in the garage just for the boys food.

At least I know what they are eating - and the food is human grade meat.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so where can I find out about the right amounts to feed and in what proportions?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of links

http://www.rawfed.com/

http://www.rawlearning.com/

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#started
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: