Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Jumping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Jumping Reply with quote

Dale's decided its OK to jump on everyone he meets. He's never behaved like this before but I think we had too many people around over Christmas all making a fuss of him. I've tried asking people to ignore him unless all his feet are on the ground but the usual reply is 'Oh he's just friendly I don't mind' Evil or Very Mad
What's the quickest way to stop him?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice at the risk of upsetting some people.........I would lift my knee......it is uncomfortable to jump into a knee. It is a difficult habit to break......if he gets any benefit from jumping he will continue to do it.

He likes making life a challenge for you Wink
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice, I completely sympathise with you here. We had taught Holly not to jump on people and to greet them 'nicely'.... but over Christmas and New Year we took her to my gran's and because she was so excited, and everyone was making a fuss... she is jumping up all the time too. Rolling Eyes

Because Holly is so small people didnt mind if she jumped up... it was only Jaydee and I. Laughing

John - I've been lifting my knee out a bit, more as an automatic reaction to her jumping, and it does seem to be working. Good tip!
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John lifting a knee is a good idea but he never jumps on me or Mike. Today it was every other person he saw on the canal tow path. Embarassed
If he jumps on anyone on the forum can I beg people to knee him or at least ignore him?
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do Janice, i should really get people to do that for Gypsy.

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale is VERY smart...he knows what you will do.hence no jumping on you Wink
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may calm down once he's back in his routine - Otto was a bit mad too. Or try a long line while out on a walk? We keep Otto on a long line on more populated walks or we call him in if we see someone in more open space. He isn't that bothered with people, just their dogs. He gets to say hello but gives us more control until we can suss the situation.

Harder in the house - he was going mad with me for a while, jumping into me, nipping my coat, pulling my scarf - I now totally ignore him till he calms down. In my male dominated household, he sees me as the weak link physically, but it doesn't help that Ian wasn't backing me up. He doesn't mind the dog welcoming him that way - but he is starting to see it's not nice for me or any other woman or kid and has to be 100% unacceptable.

oh I swore testosterone!
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy is a wee jummper too and i do the knee thing sometimes but the best way to get her to stop is to ignore it, when she does it on a walk it's a wee bit like she's jumping up to my hand to check in and off she goes again to play, Dora does it occasionally when she is fed up on a walk and wants to get moving she jumps up and pushes your behind with her paws.
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty started jumping up recently but he knows I wont pay him any attention until hes calm. Dales probably just chancing his luck Rustys the same right now Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right Arlene ................ they push their luck! Smile
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Dale may have second thoughts about jumping after his last walk. We went back to the canal in the hope that he'd jump so I could pounce on him. Well it was almost deserted except for a 'merry' young couple complete with their bottle. Dale eyed them from a distance, crept up and backed off. I don't think he liked their singing Confused Eventually he made a little bounce in general direction of the girl. She screamed and swung her carrier bag at him just as I yelled No. Poor Dale took off as if he'd been shot Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne I have that problem too. A male dominated household. My partner is 6 foot 2 and has a loud deep voice. He just needs to speak and the dogs obey him. He does no training with them and does not have to work at it at all.

I feel I work at it constantly and the response I get from lindsay, is those dogs take the rise out of you - you are too soft!!!! Evil or Very Mad

And he is happy to greet the dogs when he comes in - Dodge jumps up on him and lindsay loves it. If bob jumps up on me, he puts his paws on my shoulder and looks down at me, and I dont find 7 and a half stone of German Shepherd on my shoulders cute in any way - I totally ignore the dogs when I enter the house and do all the pack order stuff, but they just see me as a weak link too.

Not fair.

Luckily my greeting meeting style has rubbed off on the dogs and the only person they jump up at is him - they stay pretty calm with everyone else.

But sometimes it feels like all the males are against me Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty, I hear you. I also have to work harder, especially as he's getting bigger and stronger.

I just don't play games where he is bound to win ie tug of war or where I am lower than him and I'm the only one who feeds him and he doesn't get fed until I eat and until I say so, etc. He's probably better behaved for me as I don't take any nonsense from him, but I have to work at it and he's never as submissive to me as he is to Ian - turns into jelly.

When I was ill over New Year he was a little git - seized the opportunity. He's not a majorly dominant dog or that badly behaved, but he will chance it.

He's off to the vets at the end of the month (nothing to do with his behaviour, we've just taken the decision on health reasons - also he's getting them nicked while running in woods, they're very exposed in a dog like him haha). Maybe should take the boys and get them all done!
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne, my 'Boys' are done. But maybe I should take Lindsay Cool
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly consider taking the 18 year old to be done haha - his dad is as inconsistent in his training as he is with the dog.

And they all make a mess!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: