Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
What to do with Tess?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McK
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: What to do with Tess? Reply with quote

We're having a time of it with wee Tess lately.

Inside she's great, she'll sit, stay, come, finish, she's starting to stay down now too. The model pup.

OUTSIDE!!!! A nightmare. Started with her clicking into hunt mode, and running off for 5-10 mins chasing smells and birds. We could go right round the glen and she'd be great then, then 'click', she'd be away chasing the scents. Nothing we would do would get her to listen. We tried shouting, whistling, treats, no joy. She'd come back when she was ready, usually after 5-10 mins. We dont mind her chasing scents, as long as she comes back when we shout or whistle on her. Lately though she's getting worse, not coming back for 15-20 mins, always in sight (it helps that she's white) but just not listening. We bought an extendable leash to give her some room but to keep control as she was getting kept on the leash more and more.

Last week we let her off on Cumbernauld field as she seems better on the field as opposed to woods. She was off into the woods at the side and just wouldnt come back. We ended up following her to the path that runs around the bottom of the field, we where on the path and she was way down the steep bank at the burn, the only reason she came back was because a guy's dog ran down to see what she was up to and gave her a fright, so she came back for 'protection'. So that was her, kept on the leash for next couple of days.

Thursday afternoon (night of the snow) I took her out, and thought I'd see how she was. Off the leash for 2 mins and she was off again. Only this time she was out of sight for around 40 mins. It was getting dark, the snow was really coming down, what do you do? Go into the woods looking, tried that but couldnt see her and was worried she'd go back to get me and I wouldnt be there. Do I walk into the glen to see if she continued the walk, or do I head back the couple of hundred yards to the underpass into the village to in case she decides to head home? She eventually came back, and she knows shes done wrong, ears back and looking sheepish, so it's not as if she's all proud of herself!

We're considering a spray collar, to try and break her concentrating on the scent, as when in this mode there doesnt seem like there's anything in the world othe than the few inches between her nose and the ground. onew thing for sure we've got a lot of work to put into this wee independant dog's training.

Anyone got any hints or tips?
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spray collar might be worth a try Dan!!!!! It will distract her hopefully enough to make her come back.

Having seen how Dora (Lindy's JRT) can get so engrossed in a scent and disappear I know how difficult it must be with a terrier who's instincts make them do exactly that!

It's a tough one as she's doing just what she's been bred to do Confused
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
this is exactly what Lindy's Dora does.......and the big danger is if they go down a hole after the rabbits.

Some form of remote collar is the only answer if you intend to let her off leash..........a long line ( with no loop on the end) may help but there is always the danger it can become snagged.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janey's just in with a good suggestion from one of her customers.

If she's worse in the woods (which she is) take her into the woods to train her. So the plan (for now) is to take her into the woods with a long leash, and work on her training there, as it's there that she finds most distracting. Here's hoping it works.
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I have a long line lead which I used with one of my Beagles. You can have it is you wish. Just let me know where or when to bring it.
I use the long line training lead with Misty if she goes down the Glen as Beagles are mad hunters too. She can not resist the fox scent.
She will generally comeback like a rocket, but not if she smells fox or badger.

Please heed John's advice. Misty's mum was the 3rd Beagle I had which got stuck down a rabbit hole and she spent 5 weeks in the vet hospital due to back damage and trapped nerves in the spine.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Lorna, I have a light rope which will do her fine.
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Dan join the club, Dora can be a nightmare when she does this and has me hunting allover for her at times. a couple of weeks ago she had me and Suzanne waiting on her for about 30m ins then we went to get her and it took us another 15 mins trying to catch her as she just ignored my commands. I tried all the stuff you have said even to the extent of jumping about the glen with toys, sticks and treats with a nice high pitched voiced looking like I belonged in an institute and trying in vain to get her to come back but nothing worked. The best thing has been the walks, classes and the long line. I keep her on the leash if I'm in an area I don't know and could have rabbits and in places I know there are rabbits like the Glen. A friend of mine has working JRTS and he took me out with his dog and my two and made me let her off in an area with tones of rabbits, he says to do it in a place that's safe and quiet and let them get used to it and get to the stage where it's no big deal to see/smell a rabbit, seeing his JRt just snuffling about has made me think he might be right so I am going to keep it up even if it does mean I'm hanging about for 30-40 mins. She is getting better but everyone in the club knows that if we let her off they might have to help me catch her if she decides to go hunting, she is a very stubborn wee dog and loves nothing better than chasing rabbits so I'll never get it out of her and imagine you'll be the same we will just have to work out when to keep them on and let them off and what to do if they do decide to run. Hopefully age will mellow them but that's a big IF

Good luck think we will be comparing hunting stories Laughing Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a long line (and still do from time to time)

Never had any bother with it getting snagged, but it slowed him down and he seemed to think he was still attached and didn't go off too far. He is similar in that once he smells a bird, he's off but the line helped with recall and no matter where he is, he will come back to the whistle or at least come back nearby.

Helped with the recall ie quick tug reminds him what is required. We still put it on if he's needing a wee reminder.
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this might make you smile, Dan.
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that, I think you posted it before, its hilarious Laughing

Dan, Lindy and Suzanne bring your dogs and with our lurchers added into the mix im sure we could catch enough food to eat all winter Twisted Evil

Very Happy
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have my share. I'm Veggie.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great picture, I had to look twice.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can't catch them - he can just tell you where they are haha.

I have a bird table beside the patio doors, keeps him occupied for hours. Though I think it's the bread he's after as he's sussed they drop bits.
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love terriers. Very Happy

It's like trying to steer a cannon ball in mid flight when they switch into hunt more.
One thought is that you work harder on the pecking order indoors . You see in a pack, you would hunt as a pack, an the alpha would lead. For a dog to go off hunting alone then its a bit like the dog is saying "im in charge o the hunt guys, everybody follow me".

on second thoughts though Jacks are earth terriers and not spoiled by the show ring, so he should make a right ol Din an mark his quarry if he finds it to tell you where he is so you can come an join him in his spoils.

I would go with the advice about the long line an work a wee bit harder in the home on the pecking order so he don't feel so comfy with wandering off alone an taking the alpha role in the hunt when you are out.

Sam
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about noisy JRTs cause I know Lurchers are silent hunters but this morning while I was down at the stables, the terriers down there made up a noisy racket behind the hay bales....later on I saw a dead mouse lying outside in front of the stables
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: