Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Won't get in car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Won't get in car Reply with quote

Any tips on trying to get Otto into the car.

He has progressed from not even walking past it in the drive and now just stands at the boot and looks at me like I'm stupid.

I even tried getting in myself and trying to lure him in with food (saw Cesar do it).

There is no reason he can't jump in - and once he's in he's fine. but having to lift him in is just stupid.

I suspect we should harness him in or think about getting a proper cage fitted as he gets burled around a bit (Ian's driving) and although he now realises car means walk he's still not keen.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne,
my dog Diesel won't jump in either........but he has stiff joints and simply can't jump......well not exactly true after a 7 HR walk over the Campsies he was so desperate to get home he jumped in the van Shocked

I think the key is to try and make the car positive........does he get car sick?

I know Janice had the same problem and it turned out Dale didn't like her car.when she traded it in for a new one Dale happily jumped in first time Confused
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:

I know Janice had the same problem and it turned out Dale didn't like her car.when she traded it in for a new one Dale happily jumped in first time Confused

that is totally true and thought it was hilarious when she told me! But perhaps he had a bad experience in that particular car that they didn't realise, maybe the edge of his tail getting nipped as the rear door was shut, or bumping himself etc ..........?

As John said Diesel refuses point blank to jump in, but doesn't mind travelling at all. He's happy enough once he's in his crate in the van or in the back of my car. We have always assumed it's because he's got stiff joints but he happily jumps out Confused
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake gets terrible car sick and he hates getting in to the car Sad
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasier was the same Fiona, he was always really sick in the car, threw up constantly when he was younger even on a ten minute car journey. He hated going in any car, we literally had to force him in with a shoe horn. Now every time he goes out he tries to get in the car no stopping him now.

Stevie
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with Millie she hated going in the car and as soon as you got anywhere near it she would pull away and lie down.

No amount of treats or anything done any good until my kitten stalked by her and got in the car she was in like a shot then! I think she thought she was missing out on something!
Both my cats love going in the car I can't tell you how many times I've got in the car to go somewhere and when I get there one of the cats pop out and I guess its lucky that Millie doesn't like the cats being somewhere she's not! Laughing Embarassed
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was maybe put in the boot (got a big hatchback) too small and got thrown about a bit and it's put him off, made him feel a bit ill. The crate wouldn't fit in the car.

Still at least he's not actively avoiding/resisting anymore.

Cesar said sometimes dogs just don't make the connection with what you want them to do - but given he learns anything else very quickly, I'm not sure and he jumps out fine.

I'll maybe try putting the back seats down and trying to lure him in another way. I just think he's thinking "Eh no, what is it about the word walk you're not getting mother!"
Phoebe
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony was the same when we got her.
I started to feed her in the car and nowhere else and I just sat with her in the car (in the hatchback!) for hours... But we avoided to drive with her at that stage.
When she finally went in on her own, I started the engine but nothing more. For further three months we just did a 5 minute drive to the Luggie walk every day. This way, she connected every walk with the car. Than I took her to the Glen, what is a 10 min drive and so on.
Now she goes by gar to Glasgow city center everyday and doesn't care.

Be patient with him, and be careful that he never has a bad experience in the car! Smile
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoebe, thats exactly how we got Allans old dog, Bess used to the car, she had an awful life before he got her, so we dont know if anything bad happened in a car. It didnt take us so long with bess, probably a few months all in, but we then could take her anywhere
Janice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time to change cars Laughing Laughing

I tried putting his dinner in the car, stuffed kongs in, another dog in, every toy and treat I could think of. I lifted him in and sat and drank coffee and chatted to him, rolled the car up and down the drive everything I could think of. I even tried the 'Cut it out and behave yourself' approach, lifting up his front paws and pushing the rear end. Nothing worked. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

So we bought him a new car. we've christened it the Dale mobile. After two days we couldn't walk past him without the silly animal trying to get in.
Janice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious suggestion. Is there a special treat or toy he could ONLY get if he jumped into the car?
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge used to play silly b@ggers and not get in the car, this happened on a regular basis at one point. I used to leave the tailgaite open and just drive off slowly, he soon came running and would jump in as soon as I stopped.

more difficult now with bob, I have to shut the tailgaite over - but he still ran after the car when Idrove off, then would jump in immediately.

thankfully that stupid behaviour has stopped. He still mucks around and will often refuse to get in first time, but by the time I would get in the drivers seat and start the car he would be wanting in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: