Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Rosie and Cuthbert
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Rosie and Cuthbert Reply with quote

Rosie's been home over a week now and she is a bit better. She still is nowhere near back to normal but at least she is a bit better and has not got any worse. She goes back to the vet every couple of days for a blood test and sometimes, like today, getting her into and out of the taxi on the way home can be challenging. Her appetite is quite iffy at times and I'm running out of ideas to tempt her with as what she enjoys one meal is her least favourite another time. Honest I'm really not trying poison her despite what she tries to make me believe. She's getting lots of love and healing from me plus quite a bit of peace from us all including young Cuthbert. They are getting along quite well together now, he is not so often trying to get her to play with him and he seems quite happy to be around her and vice versa. He enjoyed his walk down the glen the other day, even if he did get put in his place by some of the others. I'll take him down again soon. It does us all good. Cuthbert and I get the exercise and company and Rosie gets the house to herself for a while, so we all win!

Thanks for all your support folks. It is an ongoing situation here.
Gaelle, Rosie and Cuthbert.
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear she is on the mend! Very Happy
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle

why not try her with some chicken cooked in tin foil in the oven but make the tin foil like a bag and put a stock cube in the bag with some boiling water and a bit of garlic and the smell of all tht should make her go for it. you can also get cartons of puppy milk from asda which i was advised to give to ralf when he wasnt very well and tht way he was getting fluids plus some nutrients. hope this helps and that things get better soon!!
Gaelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Thanks I'll try that. Last night we cooked some chicken , let it cool, put it in tinfoil in the fridge overnight and this morning it was almost brick hard. Not through freezing, I think it was just dry and overcooked. I'll try your method and hope for better results this time. You said puppy milk is that the same as goat's milk?
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but I understood that whilst puppies have the enzymes to digest milk, adult dogs do not and should not be given it.

Is puppy milk suitable for both?
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Enid, milk will run through an adult dog ............. it shouldn't be given. Stick to water.
As for faffing about cooking and flavouring chicken - forget it. If you start doing that for a dog it will never want to eat dog food again!!!!!
It's pretty simple Gaelle, if she is hungry she will eat. Put her food down to her if she eats it fine, if not remove it after 15 minutes and give her nothing until her next meal - not even a treat. She will eat when she's hungry.
As dogs get older they tend to eat less anyway. She's not burning up any energy so won't have the need for as much food. If she eats small amounts I wouldn't be concerned. Smile
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fine to give them milk but in moderation. To much and they will get the runs. Its a great way to loosen up any bowel movements if your dog is constipated. If you are planning on giving your dog milk on a regular basis then goats milk is best.
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't often give the girls milk but when i do it is a tine amount and i dilute it with watter. we do the same with the cats as when it is cold (our cats are mostly outdoor cat) we add a wee bit of milk to there food and then mix it with hot watter. no ill effects so far

Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Kendal, it was actually our vet that suggested giving Star milk a few months ago when he was having trouble doing the toilet. Milk is fine as long as in small quantities, goats milk can be give a bit more regularly but again watch the amount.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
I agree Enid, milk will run through an adult dog ............. it shouldn't be given. Stick to water.
As for faffing about cooking and flavouring chicken - forget it. If you start doing that for a dog it will never want to eat dog food again!!!!!
It's pretty simple Gaelle, if she is hungry she will eat. Put her food down to her if she eats it fine, if not remove it after 15 minutes and give her nothing until her next meal - not even a treat. She will eat when she's hungry.
As dogs get older they tend to eat less anyway. She's not burning up any energy so won't have the need for as much food. If she eats small amounts I wouldn't be concerned. Smile

Good sound sense, Marcella. I totally agree with you.

I once met a woman who used to chew her dog's food before she fed it to her (honestly)! She told me that if anything happened to her (the woman) the dog would have to be put down as it wouldn't accept food in any other form! Confused
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chewed it before feeding it to her dog? OMG! Shocked

People like that need a kick in the behind!!!!
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least that's better than breast feeding them Shocked
kerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy i am so disturbed from the breast feeding story Smile
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerry wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy i am so disturbed from the breast feeding story Smile

sorry guys just had to share it with you Laughing Laughing Laughing

I sometimes use goats milk especially with young dogs as it the closest to dogs milk. The only milk I give mine is in porridge once in a while or scrambled egg.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it seems I spoke too soon. Rosie's arthritis has kicked in again in a big way and I had to take her back to the vet again this evening as she was very sore and I couldn't get any pain killers into her. She has had an injection to get her through the night and hopefully tomorrow she might be able to take her pain killers orally. I have made another appointment for her tomorrow first thing which I hope we won't need as if she is like this tomorrow there is no way I can get her back in a taxi so I may have to get a call out again. Let's hope though she won't need it and be a lot better by tomorrow. My freind ran us down tonight as Martin is out and on the way back as he carried her up the path, I fell and bashed my head on the outside handrail, got in and Rosie had diarrhoea. What a night!!! Please let it improve from here on in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: