Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dangerous food for dogs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Dangerous food for dogs Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to write a list of food that could be dangerous or harmful for dogs... just so I don't feed Jaws something bad by accident.

Can you guys help me?

Thank you Smile

Patricia
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grapes, raisins, chocolate and potatoes are the ones I know of.

And mobile phones.
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onion is a big one!
Macadamia Nuts
White bread
The skins are the only part of the potato that are poisonous
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onions and chocolate being particulary bad.
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought raw potato was bad but cooked was ok

marcella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know potatoes are fine as long as they are not in any way green.
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to Avoid
There are a number of human foods you should never feed a dog. Most of these are common-sense no-nos, but others are less familiar. As dogs are natural scavengers, they sometimes eat positively harmful substances and give themselves a bad case of poisoning. Prevention is the only way. Dog-proof your house and garden the way you would for a baby or toddler and keep potentially lethal substances locked away, including alcohol, household chemicals and medicines.

Chocolate
Chocolate can kill dogs, especially baking or plain chocolate that contains a greater proportion of cocoa solids, but in sufficient quantities milk chocolate can also be harmful. (Incidentally, chocolate is also toxic for cats). The two chemicals that cause the damage are caffeine and theobromine, but it is the theobromine that is the more lethal. Caffeine acts on a dog in much the same way it does for humans but because dogs are smaller, the effect is exaggerated. Caffeine has a direct effect on the central nervous system and signs of overdose include extreme jumpiness and sensitivity to noise. Theobromine is found in higher concentrations in unsweetened chocolate and cocoa powder. A single ounce, or 25g, of unsweetened chocolate can kill a 10lb/4.5kg dog. In the case of milk chocolate, the lethal dose is 11oz/350g for a dog of the same size. Theobromine overstimulates the heart and can lead to seizures and coma. Signs of overdose include restlessness, thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea, irregular heartbeat, excessive urination and muscle tremors. These symptoms rarely show up immediately but generally come on a few hours after the chocolate has been eaten. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate get him to the vet straight away – and keep your chocolate treats well out of harm’s way, and that includes chocolate cake.

Chicken Bones
Most people are away of the risk poultry bones are for dogs – except, it seems, all those thoughtless individuals who scatter the remains of their fast food all over the pavement. Poultry bones – the bones of chickens, turkeys and game – are very brittle and splintery when they’re cooked, and its easy for dogs to choke on the fragments or for sharp splinters to pierce the intestine or abdominal wall, in which case infection often follows. Lamb chop bones can also be hazardous in this respect.

Onions
Onions in any form – raw, cooked or dried – are toxic for dogs. A chemical found in onions causes a dog’s red blood cells to weaken and rupture, which in turn leads to anaemia. The more onion a dog eats, the more serious the effect. Signs of onion toxicity generally appear several days after the onion was eaten. Garlic, a natural antibiotic and some say a flea-repellent, is safe for dogs in moderation.

Raisins and grapes
An increasing number of cases have been seen of raisin and grape poisoning in dogs. From available evidence, as little as seven raisins or grapes can be toxic. If you suspect your dog has eaten raisins or grapes, get him to the vet straight away. Signs of toxicity including vomiting, food refusal, diarrhoea and lethargy. Untreated, a dog will develop acute kidney (renal) failure and die.

Sweets
Cakes, sweets and biscuits should never be fed to dogs. They contain too much refined sugar and a high proportion of fat. Keep your human treats well away from dogs. If you give your dog a small plain biscuit or a slice of buttered toast you are giving him the equivalent of a hamburger in human terms.

Cat food
Cats have different nutritional needs than dogs. They require more protein and more fat in their diets, which makes their food unsuitable for dogs (and vice versa). Feed pets separately and make sure your cat’s food is out of your dog’s reach.

Garden hazards
Gardens and parks often pose a risk for dogs. As far as plants are concerned, the danger list includes holly and mistletoe berries, yew, box and laurel leaves; rhododendron, hydrangea, columbine, lily of the valley and ivy, as well as spring flower bulbs, and sweet pea, wisteria and bluebell seeds. All of these are poisonous to dogs. Keep all pesticides, fertilisers, rat poisons and house or garden chemicals locked away.

Puddles
Dogs often make a beeline for puddles or water that has been sitting around for a long while, for example in a watering can. Don’t let your dog drink from puddles in the street. They may contain antifreeze, which has a sweet taste that appeals to dogs, but which can be fatal even in small doses.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laura for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply Laughing
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Thanks Laura for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply Laughing

It was no trouble, only took me a second to search and another few seconds to copy & paste Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Still good info
StuartW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
as far as I know potatoes are fine as long as they are not in any way green.

I think green bits on potatoes are actually bad for us too.. can't remember where I read it.
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart, I think you are right on that actually.
My mother in law when eating chips, potatoes, crisps etc., will always cut off any part that is remotely green. She said years ago that it was bad for you and you shouldn't eat it! I always just thought she was fussy!!!! Laughing
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help guys. Smile I really appreciate. Now my list is complete and Jaws is safe. SmileSmile

Patricia
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative Laura, will be helpful to all who are unsure Very Happy
Emma*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew raisins/grapes were poisonous to dogs...you learn something new everyday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: