Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dangerous food for dogs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading a post like this on a collie forum and people were saying my dog likes grapes/raisins/chocolate so why shouldn't I give them it, it hasn't done them any harm up till now!!!! Mad Evil or Very Mad
Emma*
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foods Poisonous to Your Dog

Chocolate
It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the theobromine, a naturally occurring compound found in chocolate. Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg basis. Furthermore, theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity, especially if the dog becomes excited. Cardiac arythmia can precipitate a myocardial infarct which can kill the dog. Theobromine also irritates the GI tract and in some dogs can cause internal bleeding, which in some cases kills them a day or so later.

Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of chocolate. Milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600 mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight (and other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg body weight no deaths have been observed.

Theobromine will stay in the bloodstream between 14 and 20 hours. It goes back into the bloodstream through the stomach lining and takes a long time for the liver to filter out. Within two hours of ingestion, try inducing vomiting unless your dog is markedly stimulated, comatose, or has lost the gag reflex. If your dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of the above symptoms, take it to the vet without delay. In the absence of major symptoms, administer activated charcoal. The unabsorbed theobromine will chemically bond to this and be eliminated in the feces. In pinch, burnt (as in thoroughly burnt, crumbling in hand) toast will do.

Walnuts are poisonous to dogs and should be avoided. Many nuts are not good for dogs in general; their high phosporus content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones.

Onions, especially raw onions, have been shown to trigger hemolytic anemia in dogs. (Stephen J Ettinger, D.V.M and Edward C. Fieldman, D.V.M. 's book: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine vol. 2 pg 1884.)

Potato poisonings among people and dogs have occurred. Solanum alkaloids can be found in green sprouts and green potato skins, which occurs when the tubers are exposed to sunlight during growth or after harvest. The relatively rare occurrence of actual poisoning is due to several factors: solanine is poorly absorbed; it is mostly hydrolyzed into less toxic solanidinel; and the metabolites are quickly eliminated. Note that cooked, mashed potatoes are fine for dogs, actually quite nutritious and digestible.

Turkey skin is currently thought to cause acute pancreatis in dogs.

Just thought i would post these explanations i found on the web the walnuts i had never heard of or turkey skin!
Lorna
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma, Great Danes should not be fed Soya or soya products. I don't know re other dogs on this one but Danes can react VERY badly to soya. As veggies we have to be really careful the dogs don't get any odd bits.
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Laura and Emma - I knew there was something about potatoes!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: