Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
suitable food for 5 month cadbury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: suitable food for 5 month cadbury Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my 1st post.

Was at puppy training on sunday with cadbury. John suggested changing his food, and his current food, Bakers, is causing hyperactivity.

Any suggestions?

I am reading up on Raw feed, would I have to introduce it slowly to Cadbury by mixing it with his usual food and slowly increasing the raw feed?

Thanks
Emma*
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there I am Emma we have 2 Great Danes Lady an Skye they are both raw fed.

When we first had Skye she was on complete and i fed her 1/3 complete and 2/3 raw to get rid of the complete i had been given for her more than anything.

When you read up on the subject most recommend that you switch fully to raw but i am not an expert.
You could always research on the web there are loads of sites.

John or Marcella are probably best to advise you which way to go about it .
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to switch fully ............... the sooner you get Cadbury off Bakers the better. Confused Go to Tesco and buy some value mince, pop some in a bowl and watch him eat!!!! Smile
There are numerous threads about RAW feeding on the forum, here you will find lots of helpful info.

http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2094
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I switched my two over fully when I decided to go for it, however if you'r not sure the one thing you really need to do is bin the Bakers and go and get some dry food thats not full of aditives and colourings Tesco do their own Nature range of dry food with no colourings and preservatives or go up to Acorn they have Purina, James Wellbeloved and Eukanuba they are all decent dry food that don't have any adivites added, they you could wean Cadbury from that onto RAW when your comfortable with it. Don't worry about the dog not eating the food the first time it's put down leave it for 20 mins if it's not eaten bin it and don't feed again until the next day when you usualy feed they soon realise who is boss and that when food is put down you should eat it Laughing Sounds hard but most dog owners will say the same and they can go for a couple of days easily without food they just need plenty of water.
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone

I'll go to tesco today at get some new dry food and mince. I'll give him a wee bit of mince and see what he thinks. take baby steps!

thanks for making me feel welcome

martin
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got another question!

Is it essential to buy "puppy" dry food? I've always been skeptical that the difference is just a bit of a marketing scam. But I am new to dog ownership so I am unsure. It's just that there are alot of dog foods available but less variety of "puppy" food.

martin
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy foods are fine for the first few months. Nothing more. They are massively high in proteins too and just make some pups even more hyper!!!!
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
My Rufus is on James Wellbeloved.
I was advised by his breeder and by the vet that the extra protein in the puppy food was crucial for his development, and the breeder said to have him on a specific puppy food, Purina, but through advice on this board I changed over to JWB, as less flavour enhancers etc. He has only just come off the puppy version and is now on adult. He is not a fussy dog though, and would eat anything you put down to him!
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to the vet this week for worming tablets so I will talk to them, but in your opinion, when should I wean Cadbury off this high protein puppy food?
Hes now 5 months and about 20kg at the most.( 16kg a month ago when last weighed at vet)
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give you is NOT to take the vets word when it comes to feeding your dog. Smile They study that for only 7 days out of their years at uni!!!!!!! And it's sponsored by Hills Science Plan!!!!!! So it is not an unbiased opinion a lot of the time!
In any case get him off Bakers, perhaps try a Junior dry dog food if you prefer. James Wellbeloved being a good choice or Burns.
You can get James Wellbeloved in the pet stores. Smile
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcella,

I keep that in mind. I'll get to acorn asap!! Sad

I'll let you know how I get on
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used James Wellbeloved from the start - now on junior, which as John said is probably not right and he needs to move on to adult version.

Has thrived on it.

Raw sounds good, but requires a bit more planning, preparation and freezer room than we currently have. Not ruled it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: