Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
tea tree oil and dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: tea tree oil and dogs Reply with quote

I know of several dogs (Clumber Spaniels but there may well be others I haven't heard about!) who have been innocently treated with or bathed in tea tree oil and within hours have become paralysed for a few days. Very scary!! Also there is a mobile dog groomer who has stopped using tea tree shampoo for bathing dogs as a number of owners had said that their dogs are allergic to it.
Lisa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I use Tea Tree Shampoo for Kai and I find it soothes his irritated skin. I've read it being recommended many times before, not just the shampoo form but also the oil. However, all dogs react to these things in different ways, I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that some dogs have had bad reactions too it.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of it causing severe reactions either. But I suppose some dogs can have severe reactions to anything just like humans can!
It certainly wouldn't put me off using Tea Tree again on the dogs....
Lorna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have for some time used tea tree oil as an antiseptic, to treat cuts and to stop bleeding in my dogs. I have used it successfully to ease Misty's arthritis. This is the advice that I follow.

Tea Tree Oil for Pet Medication

Antiseptic Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is a natural antiseptic for pet medication. The oil immediately penetrates outer skin layers and mixes with body oils to treat such conditions as insect bites, cuts, burns, bruises, or boils.

Anti-inflammatory Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) has pain-numbing properties and can be used topically for sprains, arthritis, gout, or ear infections. Use products containing tea tree oil, since the pure essential oil would be irritating to sensitive areas!

Anti-fungal Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is an excellent antifungal and can be employed for pet medication of yeast infections, and ringworm. For ringworm apply a tea tree gel, or cream to the affected area, or add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bath water.

To fight plaque at your dogs teeth, brush with toothpaste containing tea tree oil.

Pet Medication

Because pets also suffer many of the same disorders as humans, tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) can be used for pet medication of arthritis, bad breath, ringworm, or ear infections.

For external application, mix 1 teaspoon tea tree oil with 1 cup of water.
When using tea tree oil for pet medication, always dilute it as full strength can cause irritations.

Do not use tea tree oil internally! Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) contains toxic cyclic terpenes. Thus, apply it only on areas where your dog cannot lick it off or cover the area.

This advice is from Doggie Paradise site.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes dogs are just like humans in the respect that everyone reacts differently. What suits one won't necessarily suit someone else ( hence warnings on human medication packets about side effects!) so if it works for you then great. Smile
norma giannotti
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If dogs took such a bad reaction to Tea Tree there would be a warning on the products and all aromatherapist would be warned about this. Insurance companies will let qualified therapist know about this. To my knowledge I have not heard of this and would like to know where they read this before posting it. Norma
Gaelle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read it , my friend who runs Clumber Rescue has had several enquiries from owners over the years ,wondering what could have triggered the condition and the only different thing they had all done was give their dog some tea tree oil. It's just like people , some take idiosyncratic reactions to something that is completely harmless to others . As for why is a warning not printed well who knows?? Not all reactions to human medication are flagged up for whatever reason.
Robert Baskerville
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Tea tree oil is not something we use within our salon - I haven't seen any dog shampoos that contain it (although there may well be some). For dogs with sensitive skin we use a hypo allergenic shampoo which is very gentle on the skin. Its also best to stay away from using washing up liquid on your dog. Hopefully everyone already knows this but I thought I would say it anyway Wink
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am aware that washing up liquid isn't suitable to be used as a shampoo for bathing dogs but i have used it in the past in particular when i returned home from the glen and my dogs were literally awash with clay and is was setting on them!

washing up liquid and two baths later we could finally had clean dogs with water running clear from them!..........thankfully!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: