Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Raw
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Raw Reply with quote

I've been researching raw for quite a while now and noticed that quite a few of you feed a raw diet so have a couple of questions Wink Smile

First off do any of you give any supplements? by this I mean anything other than meat and bones, and if so What?

Second, Now I know this one is a tad harder to answer, But what do you usually feed each week? or even what have you fed each day for the past 4-7(or more if you know) days?

Third, Where do you get all your stuff? Butchers/Supermarket/Landywoods etc etc, If you get it from different places could you list what you get at each place?

Sorry to be a pain lol, But just working out best place to get each thing from and also what to actually feed.

Thank you Very Happy
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Megan.

I feed my two German Shepherds raw.

I get all my food from Landywoods. I feed them 2lb of mince each most days, one in the morning and one at tea time

the mince is either

beef
lamb
lamb and tripe
lamb and veg

I buy a tray of each

in addition I buy dirty tripe and heart, both from landywoods and once or twice a week they get this instead of the mince.

in addition I get raw chicken carcass from the butcher and buy marrow bones as well. On occasion I buy rib bones from asda, this is their favorite but expensive. Landywood do sell bone but it is too big for my too, it comes as half and quarter racks mostly

Occasionally I also will give them tins of fish or scraps from the table (pakora being their favorite)

I am not too fussed or over scientific about feeding them. I used to agonise over it. But the dogs are healthy and I figure no matter how I balance out their food, it has to be better for them than tinned or dried food - most of which is full of low end animal product or additives.
Emma*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Megan i feed my 2 pretty much the same as kirsty but have yet to try the tripe....

They each get about 1kg just over 2lbs each a day of mince i also keep an eye out for reduced meat in tesco as a treat
they get the odd tin of tuna and usually 1 raw egg a week and bones.

John and Marcella have some good tips on raw too.

Very Happy
Lisa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I also feed Raw. I buy 2 or 3 large chickens each week and I joint these myself, we keep the breasts and the rest is split into 3 separate portions from each chicken. Each portion is roughly 500 grams. I also buy a kilo of Tesco Value Minced Beef each week. Kai loves ofal so he gets 2 meals of this and we get this from the supermarket also, either kidney, heart or liver. I get prize choice meals from P @ H each week too. Now and again I buy Tesco Value chicken quarters, Pork Mince, turkey legs and other wee bits and pieces. When it gets into Spring/Summer and he can be fed outside again I'll start visiting the butchers more often to get some things of him. I've thought about using Landywoods but this works out quite well for us as we'd usually by alot of Chicken anyway and we only ever use the breasts for ourselves.

Generally I feed between 900/1000 grams a day, however if there are days when he's been heavily exercised which is 3/4 times a week I'll give him a tin of fish in tomato sauce, this can be sardines, mackerel, pilchards. The tomato sauce also helps with his tear stains. He loves tuna but I try to give this only once a fortnight as alot of it isn't good for dogs just like it isn't good for humans.

I give Kai some fruit and veg, mostly carrots and pears but this is more of a treat than a supplement.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Megan,
I feed my 2 GSD's a full raw diet...no supplements.

I get chicken backs free from my local fish shop........my 2 don't like wings Confused

Most meals include a chicken back

I feed Landywoods mince, tripe and organ meat , meat mix, Beef, Lamb and veg. I also like chunked meat from Landywoods.....shin of beef, dirty tripe, heart, liver, kidney......a wide variety so that the dogs never know what they will get..........occasional tuna, raw egg ( with shell) and liquidized veggies.........plus we feed our leftovers to the dogs as well. Morrisons sell 'bones for stock'..........30p or so for 5 rib bones.......just your luck what is there at the time

At first I over analyzed what we fed them..........now I just go with the flow..........the dogs are happy , healthy ( never visited the vet except for boosters).
Some days I feed more, some less.....I just trust my own instincts now.....if they look thin.feed more......a little overweight .......cut back...common sense!
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kirsty, Emma, Lisa and John Smile

kirsty wrote:
I buy a tray of each

Just wondering how much is in a tray?

Also Kirsty, how long does the stuff you get last you? and also how much does it cost you roughly? (just as my two would probably be around the same amount as your two in total)

Now I just need to work on my mum as she doesn't think it's such a good idea.

But both the dog's do like it,
Rose has had a couple of chicken wings (before we got Kodi so ages ago) and liver and some Turkey mince (was making her some biscuits from scratch and she seemed interested so gave her some), Also some Tripe(p@h) and silver side

Kodi however does not like raw liver, But has had tripe(p@h) and had some silver side yesterday - my dad got a load of meat off a farmer for free ages ago and it's just been sitting in the freezer so decided to defrost and give them some- and also a little bit of the mince from that collection too.

What would you all advise we start them out on(if/when we do)?

Also Is Lamb shoulder okay to give them?

Thanks Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megan, a tray of Landywoods minces is 36 one pound bags. so 36lbs of meat, the cost is approximately 30p - 40p per pound depending on what you buy ............... so VERY cheap. Smile

Try buying a pack of Tesco value mince and see what kind of response you get!!!! Wink
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Megan, a tray of Landywoods minces is 36 one pound bags. so 36lbs of meat, the cost is approximately 30p - 40p per pound depending on what you buy ............... so VERY cheap. Smile

Thanks Marcella, Is there a minimum amount you have to order? i.e. do you have to order a whole tray or can you mix and match?

marcella wrote:
Try buying a pack of Tesco value mince and see what kind of response you get!!!! Wink

Will do, But I'm pretty sure of the response I'll get from them both Wink be gone in 2 seconds Laughing

Just need to convince my mum, as technically Rose is the family dog, Where as I can feed Kodi whatever I want as he is mine Very Happy, But it wouldn't be fair to feed him raw and not Rose... Can already see the look I would get from her if I gave Kodi a nice chicken wing and her some kibble Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there are a few people here who order Landywoods we can order enough to make it a mix or however many you want. They are only sold in trays of 36 of the same but because there's a group of us now we can mix and match!!! Smile
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have bitten the bullet and changed Millie to Raw as of this morning after all these months of will I won't I!!
Laughing blob5
She had her first chicken wing today and loved it! Made me feel ill though watching her eating it!!!

Nikki x
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Nikki, Millie will love it now and you will get used to it Smile
Emma*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Nikki, i know where you re coming from but it wont be long before you are chopping up liver and heart as treats Laughing
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will make you all laugh my two get 1 bag of minced meat between them Lizzy gets about 200g and Dora 150/175g 2 or 3 times a week the other days they get half a chicken back or 4 chicken wings each. They get the leftovers form our dinner if there is any, 1 Raw egg a week some cod liver oil and a carrot or two depending on whats in the fridge and either cheese, hot dogs or biscuits as training treats, paddy whack to chew and a couple of times a week a kong filled with peanut butter I spend no more than £15 over 6 weeks on their food and they look great on it.
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I cant work out is how roughly much to feed her a day she is roughly between 12 and 13 kg at the mo and her full grown weight should be around 18kg!!

Any help would be much appreciated am not so good with numbers!!! Embarassed Laughing
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikki I have gone with about 3% of my breeds ideal weight, but to be honest you will notice if they are too fat or too skinny and adjust what your feeding until you get it right
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: