Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dominance/hormones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on training that I can try-
He doesn't do this to people
He doesn't do it at home, they know we are first and Tala is top dog he is baby at the bottom
He only seems to do it when I leave room during sit stay, when I'm there he's ok

Lorna have spoken to Trish re snip, am still thinking about it would like to train it out of him. Dennis is too old to work with Bear and they are kept apart when Bear is there.
Lorna
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how it would work with Basil. We could try it. What do you think?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,
this seems to be a recent thing as I don't remember it from before. Is it only when you leave the room?

It is probably a dominance thing and his age..........the biggest problem is he is 15 stone in weight so physically not easy to stop when he decides he wants to do this.
Strict pack order would certainly be the best place to start......not easy I know when the family are not backing you up on this though.
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John as i said he has just started doing it at training. He doesn't do it at any other times but then he is limited on male doggy company. I have only just started to leave the room during stays and if a dog moves he just ambles over and pounces Sad . Do you think if I stay in he will be less likely to do it or will he just lure me into false sense of security and resume this when I do leave hall during sit stay. The down stay he has mastered-think it's too much effort to get up. Embarassed

Re pack order in house we all do this and being the baby, Bear is at bottom of pack. The thing they (other humans in house) fail on is food! Dogs usually get too many extras.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came home from the shops on Saturday and when my back was turned Otto had pinched a bunch of bananas and ran around the garden with them. Was very funny and we got them back totally unmarked. Eventually.

He doesn't get too much banana, as it gives him the runs, just a wee bit in his kong.
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my two do teh domincance thing to each other but I just ignore it and they sort it out. As for the op's dog or bitch I think it's a myth too if you feed properly and exercise enough then they will stay the same weight as before. If my two which is very rare don't want to go out then they have no choice I'm the boss and what I say goes they come out and forget they didn't want to in seconds.

Jenny maybe you should ask your trainer to use a method that John Fisher suggests for dogs that are dominante in class; the dominanate dogs is put in the middle of the floor with it's handler and the rest of the class have their dogs walking round the dog and slowly getting closer, this is a kind of herarding exercise but is supposed to help dominante dogs submit to the pack. Your trainer would have to read up on it before atempting it but he does recommmend it for dominante dogs You will find the example in "John Fisher Talk Dog"
Emma*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceaser Milan does that Lindy but it is usually only on aggressive dogs, he makes them lie down on there side (submit) until the other dog have finished sniffing and except the dog into the pack.
Not sure that would stop bear humping but it is worth a go Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: