Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Burns!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice,
advice on levels of exercise varies.......the biggest problem is hard running and jumping on solid surfaces.

Chasing a ball for hours on end on tarmac is simply not going to do your dog any good, equally keeping your dog on leash at all times and never giving it a chance to stretch is equally bad.
common sense must prevail here..........learn to watch and understand your own dogs individual needs..........what works for one dog will not suit another.

Puppy food tends to be higher in protein........I like a dog to be fed an adult diet as soon as possible.........in the wild there is no such thing as puppy food.......it has been invented by the petfood industry and marketed as something we 'must' use. They prey on our insecurities and our belief that the 'experts' know better than us Evil or Very Mad

The trouble is that most 'experts' make money from the advice they give out........vets are a prime example of this.......Hills Science Plan......must be good? Vets sell it.......even the name sounds 'trustworthy'......bottom line is the vet gets a 30% profit on it and it is full of useless grain to make it look as though you are feeding your dog a large measure of food.

It is better to do some research yourself, analyze what you learn question everything........... then trust your own judgment on things like feeding and exercise. Only YOU know whats best for your dog
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'm sure you're right, as usual.
I just worry about exercise because Sam had arthritis in one joint by the time he was 7 and I suspect the metacalm he was on for the last few years cause the bowel disease that he had at the end. He was on the go a lot when he was young and I wonder if we let him do too much though he always had poor movement.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:

Personally I feed 100% raw diet.It's a bit more work and you have to plan a little in advance but the health benefits are huge. Pre packaged raw dog foog can be purchased from AMP with a good discount for club members.

if you read over any literature of the Burns stuff you'll see that he reccomends the raw too. BUt He also recognises that not everyone is going to want to take that time, which is why he developed this more convenient pre packed food.
There no excuse then for feeding your dog 'animal derivitives' Wink
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the first to accept that raw is not for everyone.......everything is a balance.......convenience,cost,quality..........you have to make a decision that will work for both you and your dog..everyone should be able to find a happy medium.

Several young dogs at the club had......lets describe it as 'an abundance of energy' which was badly affecting the lives of the dogs owners.........a change of diet from Bakers complete to a healthier alternative worked wonders. If you feed a diet that is full of additives,E numbers and other low quality ingredients it is difficult for a dog to remain well balanced.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!
Wonder who thats about!!
x
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl,

there are others.......

Like I say every dog is different...it sometimes can take a bit of work to get the right balance.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feed my kids additive ridden over processed rubbish, so there no reason to feed it to my dog is how I feel about it.

Cos my kids haven't eaten processed foods in years...if I ever for some bizarre reason take them to the golden arches...they are bouncing off the walls within 5 minutes of finishing their meals.

The burns is extremely easy for me at the moment whilst we get used to three kids and a puppy! Its tough going Shocked

I was just saying to Drew this morning we going to have to reorganise ourselves again and try and get to bed before 1am. I don't fancy our chances just yet tho lol
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not the only one my two are on Bakers comp at the moment.
we have them on it because that is what my mum fed her two on. Razz
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to a nutritionist at burns and she sed because my 2 do about 8 bowel movements and by the 4th its just like gunge. (Nutritionist said they should only do 2/3 a day!? Mine are like 2 normal and the rest gunge!!)
I have to starve them for a day then day 2 Ive to give them rice but cook it for an hour (so its starchy) and then day 3 rice again cooked for an hour with a boiled egg and do that for 10 days!!
Them put them onto burns?
Does this seem right??
They have always had loose bowel movements since they were puppies, and its not like there not well they run about mad!?
I don't know who to believe the vet sed to me it could just be that they have sensitive tummies!
x
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to feed commercial pet food.......you won't find much better than Burns or James Welbeloved

Sounds as though the advice you have been given is to completely purge their system of your current food.
Then start with Burns.......I'd say sound advice.
Most people add some meat to any 'complete' diet..........if you are going to do this use raw meat not tinned food...it is no more expensive!

The reason the need to 'go' so often is because of the amount of indigestible ingredients in their current food........their bodies simply cannot do anything with it except remove it as 'waste'
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl wrote:
I just spoke to a nutritionist at burns and she sed because my 2 do about 8 bowel movements and by the 4th its just like gunge. (Nutritionist said they should only do 2/3 a day!? Mine are like 2 normal and the rest gunge!!)
I have to starve them for a day then day 2 Ive to give them rice but cook it for an hour (so its starchy) and then day 3 rice again cooked for an hour with a boiled egg and do that for 10 days!!
Them put them onto burns?
Does this seem right??
They have always had loose bowel movements since they were puppies, and its not like there not well they run about mad!?
I don't know who to believe the vet sed to me it could just be that they have sensitive tummies!
x

It sounds like what you would do with a child if they had been ill for some time..sickness and diorhea(sp?) in particular.
By doing what has been described you will help your dogs eliminate all the none ingredients they have been trying to digest and they will be able to adapt to the burns quicker.

Put it this way - if you or a child had the consistency of poos that the dogs have had...would you be worried?
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I see what you mean!!! Its just Ive had them up to the vets 4 or 5 times each time them just saying oh its just them they may grow out of it they may not!!! (and charging me for it!)
When all the time it could be something Im doing wrong!
It annoys me!!! Evil or Very Mad
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dogs 'go' twice a day at most. They used go more often when they ate commercial pet foods.

Put it this way, if you went several times a day and it was mostly loose ......... you'd change what you were eating, without thinking about it!
Bakers is like the equivalent of you living on a diet of processed food permanently. Not good for you.

When you go to the supermarket to do your grocery shopping, how many of you look at the packaging of things to see what's in it? How much saturated fat, salt sugar etc .........
yet we love our animals so much and we don't look at the E numbers and additives in bags or tins of food?????
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its annoying that vets won't do their jobs and help keep animals healthy. Its hardly rocket science...I mean I'm blonde Shocked
There is also the booster vaccination profitering debate.

Alot of people spent years going on about the benefits of convenience foods, its only fairly recently we seeing the damage it is causing and I think the realisation with pet food is starting to hit the vast majority of pet owners too.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive changed there food to chappie after going to the vet again. I said to vet about JW and he said try chappie first as it easily digestible and then move onto burns if that's the diet you choose!
But chappy is making no difference at all!!!

I'm going to starve them tomorrow I think but Ive no idea how much rice to give them?? in ounces or grams or whatever!

I hope I don't make as many mistakes when I have kids or I will have the social work at my door! lol
Just aswell they are such loving wee things or they would have probably had my head off!!
x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: