Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Burns!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Burns! Reply with quote

Been feeding Ash on burns from the second or so day after we brought him home )also feed the cats on it too).

Anyway for ease we ordered it direct via their website. I ordered a larger bag the other day as well as some of their treats and a stain remover they do for urine etc.
Well when it arrived today, the stain removers lid was loose and it had leaked all over.

I called them up, and they are replacing the FULL order free of charge. It seems the stuff didn't soak through the bag to the dog food so we have an extra bag of food to boot.

There was no argument, no haggling, just an apology and 'we'll send a replacement free of charge'!!

Now that is what I call service Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't complain at service like that can you.
That was fair. Very Happy
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was fantastic that should do you for some time lol
Razz
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Burns! Reply with quote

Good service makes you go back and is often rare isn't it?

Cassandra, does the burns say cats can be fed on it? It's just that cats need to have a good amount of taurine in their diets which is in cat foods but I don't think the levels in dog food would be high enough. Not sure but may be worth checking out for the cat's sake. Very Happy

P>S You couldn't deal with our conservatory company could you Confused Sounds as though you get results Laughing
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burns does a cat AND a dog food, so it caters for the taurine required in a cats diet Wink

As for the conservatory company...you just have to be a complete cast iron....female dog Wink
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Burns does a cat AND a dog food, so it caters for the taurine required in a cats diet Wink

As for the conservatory company...you just have to be a complete cast iron....female dog Wink

Well Robert's been the one dealing with them so far so ..... maybe I should take over Wink

What is the food called because that would be really handy for my daughter. Very Happy
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just Burns Cat food

Their online shop

you can buy it locally but you would need to contact Burns to find out where your nearest supplier is.

We used to get ours from DA Pets in Hamilton, but with needing to order the dog food as well we figured it would be easier to just order it all online. Purchases over £20 are delivered free.

If you give them a ring, they generally send a sample along with lots of literature and a money off voucher Very Happy
They are very good. One of the groups on Dogster are planning a meet up and Burns sent them bags and bags of goodies for free
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cassandra. I will pass that info on. Very Happy
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Cassandra

I have heard that Burns is one of the best on the market, I haven't tried it yet

My two are on James Wellbeloved and are doing good on it Smile

I must make a point of getting some samples to try it out, good for you to get good service...............that's the kind of service that keeps customers and builds on their reputation to get more

The price quoted below is the same as I pay for JW food, but I don't get a free toy Sad

Eleanor
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last BC was fed on JW. What I found when I put him on the burns is that you don't need as much so the food lasts longer for the money you pay.

Also because its holistic it doesn't fill the dogs body up with unecessary ingredients that it doesn't need, so its body can concentrate on working as nature intended rather than working flat out trying to get all the rubbish out.

Because most of the what goes in is needed by the body, there is also less waste Very Happy

As I said before (somewhere if not here) if an animal has been fed on something else which was bad for them prior to being fed burns they go on a detox for about two weeks when they start it, as the body is then able to flush out all the toxins its not been able to get rid of.
Its not the prettiest of sites Shocked
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of this burns diet due to the fact my two have very sensitive tummy's.
What flavor of food should we buy? and also whats types of treats? coz i don't think i could deal with tongues and hearts!
x
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea too.

john i hear you talk about too much protein in certain dog food. how much do you consider to be too much.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there are sensitive tummy's I would stay away from the lamb. I been told that lamb can cause some serious bottom problems too! But you could always give them a ring and ask for their advice, I think they have a dog nutritionist.

Start off with the chicken and brown rice. Tis simple. I know that when the cats were ill we were always told by the vet to just give them chicken and rice as it is gentler on their tummys, so I would suspect it will apply to the dogs too.

I give Ash the Kelties.
They quite big and have a high protein content but when you consider that the food only has a protein content of about 21% (adult is 18.5% protein and their active working dog is only 24%) in comparison to most brands it tends to even itself out without giving the dog stuff it doesn't really need or will use.

The training treats are quite good but they smell sooooo bad. You would have to keep them in an aittight smell tight container. The kitchen smelled of nothing but fish for days and even the cats wouldn't eat them. Ash seemed to like them tho lol.

I don't know what John would say but on the protein front, but my mate was always going in about protein and about how the vast majority of puppy foods are growing weak dogs, by pumping them full of too much protein first off. So you get quick growth without the strength to support it. I think she said anything above 25% was no good for a growing pup.

Lower levels of protein for the pup will promote slow growth allowing hte body to build the musle up to keep the bones strong and healthy...which will also help towards preventing things like Hip dysplasia.

I think protein levels for adult dogs depend on what the dog does during the day. If you got a high drive working dog (police force, search and rescue, sheepdog etc) then they need the protein for energy,

There isn't any reason however for a house dog to be pumped full of energy.

I once likened feeding mass produced dog food to giving a child with ADHD, speed. You also get the same effect...an animal that can't concentrate or pay attention so doesn't learn or focus Wink

Will be really interested to hear what John has to say on the protein content. Cos it does actually confuse me alot lol
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that a 'house dog' should have a food protein content in the region of 20% give or take a little.
Too much protein can cause a puppy to grow too quickly.......hence joint problems etc.

People mistakenly think that they should feed a puppy to create maximum growth.this is simply wrong!
It will cause joint problems as will too much exercise with a puppy. High protein = high energy= more exercise to try and tire the puppy out.

Lots of behavior problems can stem from diet.

Some foods are as high as 28% protein and are packed full of artificial colorants and flavouring just to get dogs to eat it! Many dog foods are full of grain, dogs cannot digest this and it passes straight through and out the other end usually contributing to allergies ( skin problems) as it goes.

Personally I feed 100% raw diet.It's a bit more work and you have to plan a little in advance but the health benefits are huge. Pre packaged raw dog foog can be purchased from AMP with a good discount for club members.

A raw diet has a protein level of around 16-18 %
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John what you said about protein was really interesting. Dale's on 20% James Wellbeloved adult and I was wondering about putting him on the junior 24% while we were on holiday,but I guess from what you say I'm as well to let him carry on as he is.

Also wondering about exercise. I know its supposed to be 5minutes for each month but is that a daily total or just for one walk? Just now he has 30 minutes or so off lead each day and 2 or 3 lead walks of about 40-45 minutes plus the garden and playing around the house. Going new places really tires him even if he's just sitting about looking at everything so I suppose we'll have to watch he doesn't do too much on holiday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: