Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Burns!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read elsewhere that potatoes were NOT good for dogs, causing joint problems. But if the likes of Burns are using them as an ingredient perhaps what I've previously read is not correct. Question
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl

I think Dodge was allergic to the wheat or cereal in dog food. His scratching stopped when I went on to raw food.

I dont know if that is your problem though as your boys didnt do too well on wholly raw did they?

I had a shepherd in the past who had the weakest stomach, she would throw up all the time and have terrible bouts of the runs, The vet used to give me sachets - probably just glucose - though not sure, they were to stop her being too dehydrated - but stopping the food until the stomach settles seems to be what vets recommend. Your wee boys are wee toughies, they can cope, its you that cant cope with the sad 'hungry' eyes Laughing
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl

Sam had colitis and other bowel problems. In the end i cooked chicken and mixed it with rice and veg. The vet said that was fine but they gave him supplements too. that seemed to be the only thing he could tolerate. One vet said to use cheap rice because it had more starch and that helped to firm things up. I'd talk to a vet or someone though before I put a young dog on it.

Burns sent me their Guide to Natural Health Care and it gives suggested quantities for home cooked food. I'm sure they'd send you a copy or give advice. Burns seem to think a home cooked diet is ideal even if they sell dog food.
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marcella ,
It's just stunning the amount of stuff that the various authorities and bored people in white coats say that we shouldn't feed our animals nowadays ..lol.

Obviously if we fed them nothing but potatoes , then the lack of protein would lead to joint problems, but there is no reason that feeding good old potatoes would cause your dog to have joint problems anymore than it would yourself.

We know that certain foods can be toxic to dogs, like large amounts o chocolate, or large amounts of onions, and green potatoes are a no, no unless your a pig apparently. The difference is in the way the body breaks down the chemicals.

I think dogs now days are being subjected to the same ridicules amount of food scrutiny, and silly one off trials by boffs in white coats as pregnant women do. They put out a document , based on a small amount of dogs tested, an everyone gets worried about them eating a perfectly good food.
Makes you wonder how we were ever born don't it! or how our grandmothers dogs got to such a ripe old age without being poisoned to death by the dreaded potatoes and onions Mr. Green

I sit here an watch my lad finish off the remains of the Sheppard's pie with no guilt i tell thee.. Mr. Green

Sam Wink
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minced beef ran right through the two of them!!!!
They are tough little guys and although they both have 9/10 always got an upset tummy it is much better than it was and they have always got bundles of energy!

I don't think burns would ever do anything that wouldn't be good for dogs!!! But I read about potato's on more than one occasion, god who would have thought that it would have been so much effort!! I just would like two little dogs that could eat normally and didn't have huge attitudes!!! Laughing Laughing

At the moment their back on burns with rice to try and make their stools a bit firmer!!!
Confused

xx
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

I knew onions and chocolate were a big no no. Perhaps the potato thing was 'green' potatoes as you say as opposed to any kind of potatoes.

At the end of the day if neither us humans or animals ate what the white coat brigade said was bad for us.............. we'd all starve to death! Laughing
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just would like two little dogs that could eat normally and didn't have huge attitudes!!!

Awww...you have to love the big attitudes Smile A big dog in a small body thats all Wink

In the mean time some scrambled egg will help bind them up a bit, or you might want to try adding some tinned pumpkin to their feed to firm things up too, (old dogman's trick) Wink

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: