Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Do you dampen kibble?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Do you dampen kibble? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

For those of you who feed dry food..do you ever dampen it? Rufus is on JWB, and he loves the Turkey and Rice, but I bought him the Lamb one for a wee change, and he wasn't as keen. I didn't want to waste the sack, so ended up putting a little chicken gravy over it, which he then gobbled up like there was no tomorrow!

He is back on the Turkey now, which he takes dry with no problems, but sometimes I dampen it for him, even just with a little water and he seems to really enjoy it. I worried that this might be bad for his teeth, as he needs the 'crunch' to keep them clean and healthy? He gets a daily dentachew, but no rawhide, as we have tried this 3 or 4 times now and his system just can't handle it. He also gets cooked chicken/cheese/or the wee nature treats for training. He sometimes gets other types of treat too.

Any thoughts appreciated!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,
it is common for people to use gravy to make kibble more palatable to dogs..........when I fed kibble often it was the only way to get them to eat it.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John!

I was just worried about losing the crunchiness of it, as I thought that was meant to be good for his teeth.

Rufus eats anything really, but seems to really go mad for the kibble once it has the gravy on it! I think I will maybe feed breakfast dry and dinner dampened!
Dan McK
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a wee touch of boiling water. Just enough for the outer layer to absorb, but leave the inside with a bite.

Or if Im rushed I just give them it dry.

Its good to add water too it if giving it too a pup. Then you know they're getting water.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixel gets a wee dribble of boiled water, Moya gets hers bit more and Scooby and Misty rhe pensioners get it soaked Rolling Eyes unfortunately retired greyhounds have awful teeth as they get soaked kibble all through their life and with Scooby whippet coming from a greyhound trainer he was fed like the greyhounds too so they 2 have terrible mouths

I wouldnt wet it if they eat it dry, as it really isnt good for their teeth, or if you feel you have too, just a teeny bit
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we used to feed ours kibble we would add a little boiled water too. As Dan said enough to soak the outside but leave a bite in the middle. Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always add some water to kibble. But I think you are right they do need something to crunch too.
Lynn Scott
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fed Oscar dry kibble (Royal Canin) until he was 18mths old, without any ill effects. He now gets raw at night and kibble in the morning - with water in the dish but not so that it turns into a soggy mess!

I've read various articles about bloat and whether kibble should be dry or wet so decided I'd give him a change! However, I do sometimes leave it dry!

Kind regards
Lynn
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to add a little warm water when I fed dry Susan, how about trying Rufus on Paddy Whack or pigs ears? they will help keep his teeth clean and don't have all the rubbish that denta chews have in them i.e caramel!!!!!!
Barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we have Tikka on, from day one! She loves it, we always add a little warm water just to moisten outside, and as mentioned above a bit of crunch in the middle! From research this is one of the better dry foods i found and very good if you have a larger breed as they do a junior pack for in between puppy and adult, crucial as they take that bit longer to mature! Very Happy The JWB treats are very good also!
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy anna Jones wrote:
I used to add a little warm water when I fed dry Susan, how about trying Rufus on Paddy Whack or pigs ears? they will help keep his teeth clean and don't have all the rubbish that denta chews have in them i.e caramel!!!!!!

Yeah Dentastix are a bit of a con Confused they are full of caramel and in fact are not that great for your dogs teeth at all. Best thing for keeping teeth clean is a raw bone! Failing that try pigs ears of paddy whack as Lindy suggested ......... at least there's no additives!
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated! I think that I will continue to feed it dry, but give with gravy as a treat!

Lindy, I don't think I could do a pigs ear, lol, I am way too squeamish! And I think that he might be as bad with that as he is with the rawhide (or worse). It just goes right through him, he is not nice to be around at either end! What is the paddy whack? I have heard this mentioned, I am off to google it! I don't think there is any caramel or that in the chews I give him, I pored over the ingredients! I am more fussy about him than I am myself!

I was thinking of letting him have a bone, I know some of you guys are all for this, but I am genuinely scared of a bit choking him, or perforating an internal organ! I know dogs have always had bones, even my Mum's wee Yorkie used to get a bone from the butcher, but I am a wuss! Also, if he can't handle the rawhide, do you think he could handle a bone?
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, I took so long to click 'post' that I missed your reply Marcella!

I will check his dentachews again for hidden nasties, though I was sure they seemed fine!

Do you think he would be OK with a bone? I know he seems really rough and ready, but he does have quite a delicate stomach!! Oh,now you will all think I am a total girlie with him!
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, you can get the pigs ears as little strips, which is what i get Holly! They dont look like pigs ears that way if you are a bit squeamish..... they just look like strips of bacon, kind of!!

I bought them because I give them as a wee treat sometimes, and didnt want Holly getting a full pigs ear everytime I give her one!

Think Acorn Pets do them, but im sure you'll get them muchos cheaper elsewhere! Very Happy

PS: I havent tried Holly on a bone either yet! Shocked
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a bit easier Ashley...I might be brave and try him, though if he gets explosive diarrohea again I will die!! Razz Very Happy

I am a vegetarian and don't like cooking or touching meat, must get over it and put Rufie's needs before my squeamishness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: