Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
worming tablets!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats right lindy but i took the decision to work on a four weekly,(monthly basis) moreso when my kids were young as i didn't want either kendal or haig , and now innes to be at risk from a dog who may have worms and after haveing a good old lick of their nether regions then go and lick my kiddies!

a bit like prevention rather than cure!
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I hear what everyone is saying and fully appreciate everyones views and sound reasons where we have dogs integrated into human life.

I have no kids to worry about - and just try to keep the whole thing as natural as possible. Dogs in the wild are not wormed.

Bob needs to go back to the vets yet again and it will be more antibiotics and perhaps steriods - I just feel that the less chemical muck I put in them the better.

The only reason I front lined them was because the vet said it might help bobs skin and ears - this was flee tick control. But I was not happy using that
Gaelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought here, but have you considered getting Bob referred to a homoeopathic vet for treatment? It would be an alternative to antibiotics and or steroids and a good homoeopathic vet will work WITH your own vet, not against him which would be of benefit to Bob.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the rationale for not putting medicine in if it's not required, but I don't really buy the dogs in the wild argument - their average lifespan is 8 years, and also, only the strong survive. We can keep domestic dogs (weak or strong) alive longer through prevention and treatment.

I view my dog as I view myself - if there is something available that will prevent something bad happening, then I will do it as it's probably far less problematic than a cure - by the time you notice it, some damage will have been done.

The one thing I did reconsider was the flea treatment though - am in a quandary because I can't stand the thought of fleas.
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worm both of mine every 3-4 months. Bear gets his from vets as it's cheaper due to his size. Unbelievable I know Wink I get Tala's from pet shop but I tend to change brands each time, a practice we used with horses to help with resistance issue. I wondered if others do this or just use same ones all the time?
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle wrote:
Just a thought here, but have you considered getting Bob referred to a homoeopathic vet for treatment? It would be an alternative to antibiotics and or steroids and a good homoeopathic vet will work WITH your own vet, not against him which would be of benefit to Bob.

Gaelle

This is something I am considering - I know there is a very good homeopathic vet in Bearsden.

My friend attends there but to be honest is has been a very long process and they still have not gotten to the bottom of the dogs skin problems - she has been attending regularly for over a year and a half now - the cost has been astronomical.
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
I can see the rationale for not putting medicine in if it's not required, but I don't really buy the dogs in the wild argument - their average lifespan is 8 years, and also, only the strong survive. We can keep domestic dogs (weak or strong) alive longer through prevention and treatment.

I view my dog as I view myself - if there is something available that will prevent something bad happening, then I will do it as it's probably far less problematic than a cure - by the time you notice it, some damage will have been done.

The one thing I did reconsider was the flea treatment though - am in a quandary because I can't stand the thought of fleas.

I check both of my dogs poo every single day and they do not have worms. I never wormed my last shepherd who lived till the age of 13, she had one outbreak of tape worm in those 13 years, and this was picked up immediately because I do check the poo.

I don't think my dogs life expectancy is going to be affected adversely because I choose not to worm them.

With the exception of Bob's ongoing skin and ear problem, which were pre existing conditions when I homed him at 4 years old, my boys are the picuture of health with white clean teeth, shiny healthy coats and bounding with energy - I will stick the the most natural feeding and medical methods I can find.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyMc wrote:
I get Tala's from pet shop but I tend to change brands each time, a practice we used with horses to help with resistance issue. I wondered if others do this or just use same ones all the time?

That's really interesting Jenny. Can most definitely see some sense there.... Well this post reminded me that Holly is due to be wormed... I shall get some from the pet shop for her. Due to her size, it shouldn't cost a lot!
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
thats right lindy but i took the decision to work on a four weekly,(monthly basis) moreso when my kids were young as i didn't want either kendal or haig , and now innes to be at risk from a dog who may have worms and after haveing a good old lick of their nether regions then go and lick my kiddies!

a bit like prevention rather than cure!

makes sense Janis would be the same if I had kids in the house
Gaelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty,
Unfortunately like allopathic treatments, if the condition is long standing sometimes the treatment can take a long time and sometimes, like with Rosie and all her ailments especially the arthritis, it it just controlled, but I'm not a vet so I can't obviously say for sure. As to the cost, check your insurance policy (if you have one) as a lot of them now cover homoeopathy.
I swear by homoeopathic treatment and although Rosie could not be cured, it certainly made her quality of life a lot better for which I will always be grateful.
Good luck whatever your decision.
Gaelle
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worm Leon every 3-4 months...

I like to keep on top of it because the last time I wormed him there were some worms, but previous to that nothing had shown up in his poo. So I prefer just to err on the side of caution.

While I'm very much of the mind that I don't like using any kind of chemical unless I have to (for both myself and my dog) I just think sometimes you have to pick your battles, you know?

But ultimately you have to make your own decisions and do what is right for your dog and yourself.

My vets has a 3 month worming policy, due to the health risks to humans associated with the worms. Ugh.

Maybe I could collect them and sell them as a weight loss option!!! Get your worms here girls! Two for a pound...

Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linsey wrote:

Maybe I could collect them and sell them as a weight loss option!!! Get your worms here girls! Two for a pound...

Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linsey, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Linsey!!! I bet you actually would make money!!! A worm dealer!!! Wink

BOAK!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't saying that not worming your dogs will affect them - just that I don't think you can equate domestic and wild dogs.

I also try to stay as far from the poo as I can Laughing

I get what you're saying about au naturel - I just equate worming tablets with me taking antihistamine every day. It's probably not ideal, but it's better than dealing with the consequences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: