Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Dog meat Reply with quote

I know I eat meat so maybe I've got no right to criticise the way other people do things but have a look at this Evil or Very Mad

www.dogmeattrade.com
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be controvertial here on the basis that the site has very little information on the condition these dogs are kept in, in accordance with the countries economic status and chooses an alarmist attitude as opposed to a factual one.

I don't think that we have any right to pass judgement on another cultures choice of food...and yes I would support the rights of indigenous tribes cannabilism, they generally only eat their own anyway unless you uneducated enough to wander aimlessly into their turf.
The French happily eat horse for example and I am certain there is at least one member on here who would be mortified at that prospect.

Isn't there a religion that doesn't eat pork? I forget which one. They consider it a dirty animal so won't eat it.

I DO however have a problem with cruelty. The meat I eat I buy from reputable farms and I am a strong supporter of traceability. Can't say I could cope with knowingly eating dog...just doesn't appeal to me in the same way I can't stand offal, not sure i could eat horse either...but thats by the by.

Also reading the welfare act, it states that it
Quote:
prohibits the torture of all animals with the exception of livestock

If this country has always considered dogs as food to some degree or another, then dogs kept for food consumption will be considered livestock and should really come under legislation for livestock welfare, the same way France rears horses for the horsemeat trade.
Except according to that law, livestock can be tortured...so really they should be calling for better legislation to ensure that dogs kept for human consumption to be well cared for.

If we going to harrass this country to have dog meat banned then we should also be harrassing France for hurting horses?

This website is quite obviously aimed for a western audience, tapping into all the loving dog owners with little thought.

Where do you draw the line? Where and when does imposing your personal and cultural morality on anothers stop?

Would be interested on any further facts on this. As I said, can't abide cruelty on any level and would happily lobby for a welfare act to take care of livestock...whatever the country considered that to be.
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra Its not their right to eat what they want that bothers me its How the animals are treated. I know our own slaughter houses can't be exactly pleasant places. There's more info on another site I'll see if i can find it again.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
Cassandra Its not their right to eat what they want that bothers me its How the animals are treated. I know our own slaughter houses can't be exactly pleasant places. There's more info on another site I'll see if i can find it again.

that would be great if you could find the site. The problem is...unless I have missed something, is that this website is calling for the abolition of the ENTIRE dog meat trade.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just been reading over the welfare act...its a mess.

It is soooo full of loopholes even I could get through those and I have no legal training. There are more issues to take with that welfare act than cute lil doggies.

Killing of Crocdiles for example, aren't they endangered...but you can kill them no problems...just like cows? It also states that a dog can be killed if it has been used for animal testing....guess they missed that bandwagon then.

I also stand corrected it does prohibit the killing of dogs, so that law has been passed...albeit badly Wink

I still do however consider the site to be badly researched, animal rights protestor sensationalist tripe Wink
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembered where I first heard about it, on TV. Cassandra if you go to the bbc home page and search for Phillipine dog meat trade there's a bit there. There are other places on google but no idea how reliable they are. Hope your right and it isn't as bad as it looks.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that. Sorry if my reply came across badly I been a ratty old woman of late Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: