Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
So upset... Rufus went for another dog.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorna
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, don't worry. He will be fine. All the advice has already been given. My two Danes grab each other by the throat and snarl. It can be frightening but they are just playing. People can see 2 huge black beasts snarling and think OMG Hounds of the Baskervilles. But they are sweet little pussy cats really. Everyone calls Basil The Gentleman because he is so laid back.
Just persevere with pack order and stay calm.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, you have all been so good!

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day - still can't believe my wee fluffy puppy, the best natured wee boy I could have hoped for has it in him to be a typical neck grabbing terrier!

Phoned my Mum to see how she is, and she says he is high as a kite and so happy to see her. I have told her he is not to be allowed on the furniture anymore. I can't wait to get home and see him.
x
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:

Maureen will have said that not because she thought that Rufus's behavior was bad but because they need to keep as many members as they can.

That remark is uncalled for, John. The Club is not struggling for members.

Susan - I hope you will keep coming to the Club with Rufus. He is a lovely little dog and you are doing well with him.
JayDee
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid, I'm sure you have read something in John's post that simply is not there. The Club, like any other business needs as many paying customers as it can get!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
John Thomson wrote:

Maureen will have said that not because she thought that Rufus's behavior was bad but because they need to keep as many members as they can.

That remark is uncalled for, John. The Club is not struggling for members.

Susan - I hope you will keep coming to the Club with Rufus. He is a lovely little dog and you are doing well with him.

I think you have read more into this than is there Enid....no class can afford to lose members because of a one off growl or bark.........good business means you want to retain as many members as you can Smile

I certainly don't like harnesses or indeed flexi leads in class.........a harness gives you no control over the dogs head and with one you cannot give a correction.

If Rufus objects to a collar and you change to a harness........then Rufus has exerted his dominance and made you change your mind?

Try a half check collar.......Poundland sell them.

John
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Enid! I was contemplating cutting back on classes, in case he is just getting stale with them twice a week, but I have calmed down now and got a bit of perspective, all dogs have their moments! Thanks to all who have helped me realize that!

John, thanks, he does not object to his collar, I was just saying that I feel I have more control with his harness. If he works better in it and I feel more in control is that not a good thing?

Thanks so much for the support guys.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,
two classes a week are certainly not too much for Rufus.

I cannot understand how you feel more in control with a harness? You cannot control the dogs head or give and effective correction.

Harnesses are designed to allow dogs to pull a weight......Huskies and a sled or Bull terriers and weights.

I would try to use a collar for training classes.
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

susan i agree with john! i too both both my girls harnesses and didn't think it would make much difference in training them! how wrong i was! i now just use them if i have to transport them in the back seat of a car and not the boot!

for two fairly small dogs they very nearly had kendal off her feet several times and she didn't have control! they were taking her in the direction they wanted to go in!
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Susan what a wee minx he'll not do that again or you'll be on him in a flash. I know what your going through with the hormones Lizzy is a wee bag of attitude just now she has had a good few pops at other dogs in the last few weeks luckily it has only been growling and I've corrected it mind you she still keeps going and pushing her luck. I am always working on pack order and both of mine know I'm boss but still try to push it, just being Terriers I suppose. Rufus is a lovely wee boy don't worry about him he is just going through a wee phase and with you letting him know who is boss you will get on fine.

See you soon at a walk
Lindy
Lynn Scott
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan

I think one of main problems in using a harness is the fact that you are trying to control the dog at its strongest point - round its chest.

Depending on the size of your dog, a check or half-check would probably make life easier for you - not so much strength in the neck as in the chest!

I understand what you're saying about Rufus having a go at another dog - it's a horrible feeling, but you've had lots of very good advice already so I won't repeat it Smile

I made (and sometimes still make) Oscar (no relation!) worse than he already was by anticipating the problem and immediately tightening the lead - of course he then thought to himself 'oh, why is my mum trying to strangle me? there must be something wrong, I'd better start protecting her', or I'd better have a go at this dog before he has a go at me'!!! Big mistake on my part Laughing Now I have to consciously NOT tighten his lead, but I do find that difficult sometimes.

Remember, the lead is like an umbilical cord - your feelings and emotions will go straight down the lead to Rufus, so be calm, confident and the boss Laughing

You can do it!

Lynn
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
I can't thank you all enough for your support and suggestions - so good to know that there is always somewhere to turn!

Just a note on the harness, he really is no bother to physically check, he is a 10kg mini schnauzer, I have been using the collar and lead in class for the last few weeks, and all it is, is that I feel with the harness I have control over his whole body, while with the collar, it is easier for him to wiggle his body away from me! But I will persevere with it. I do not want to hurt his throat checking him, I know he is a tough wee dog and it probably doesn't really hurt him, but this is very close to home for me, as our family yorkie has a collapsing windpipe, and the vet feels this is due to collar and lead, and reccomends a harness for small dogs. (sorry, I know this is a totally seperate issue) I know this is probably why a lot of you guys use the prongs, so it is one sharp correction, not so much into his throat.

But for classes, for now, I will keep him in his collar. (he was off lead anyway when he got into the fight!)

He met Laddie out on his walk last night, and for the first time I was nervous, especially as it was dark and Laddie was off leash and bounded up to him, but they were fine! Really do think now that he just took exception to Oscar for some reason.

Can't wait to see you all on a walk, I am hoping to get out tonight!
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan wrote:
Smile
I do not want to hurt his throat checking him, I know he is a tough wee dog and it probably doesn't really hurt him, but this is very close to home for me, as our family yorkie has a collapsing windpipe, and the vet feels this is due to collar and lead, and reccomends a harness for small dogs. !

that is more of a breed defect in Yorkies westies and other terriers because they are bred quite closely to keep the breed pure. i have not herd of this in schnauzers.

Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kendal, that is reassuring!!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad about a tough correction because he needs to know what will not be tolerated under any circumstances.

He won't think "God what a cow, I'm phoning the SSPCA" - as Cesar says, dogs live in the now.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

He won't think "God what a cow, I'm phoning the SSPCA" - as Cesar says, dogs live in the now.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: