Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Casualty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Casualty Reply with quote

Did anybody watch it tonight? I was so annoyed, I made a complaint to the BBC as did a number of folk on our bull breed forum. Basically they had a scenario where a dog was loose and attacking folk randomly, the dog they had in the programme was a large pied Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They never stated that it was a Stafford but it was obvious to anybody watching what kind of dog it was, they used the term bull terrier to describe it.

My complaint was basically that these dogs face enough prejudice (undue I may add) without national TV adding such sensationalist (crap sorry), it was the kind of thing I expect to see in a Sunday newspaper. I was so annoyed, I explained that Staffords are one of the most popular breeds in the UK and one of only two dogs named as the Kennel Club as being "good with children". They often get a bad rep (along with other breeds) and it is really undue while they can be dog aggressive it is very rare that a Stafford or bull and terrier would attack a person. Their history goes back to being used as fighting dogs and for that very reason they are one of the most human friendly dogs around. Many years ago when this horrific practice took place dogs were selectively bred, the ones who bit humans were culled as men in those days needed to be able to go into a pit and pick up a dog without fear of it turning on them, also due to the nature of the "sport" quite often these dogs moved from home to home and had to adjust to different surroundings. There are so many misconceptions about my breed I tend to want to just shout out "they are nice" lol but they are, and most people who have come into contact with Staffords (or others of their type) would agree Im sure.

While they can be dog aggressive, for the most part Staffords and their cousins tend to be as the breed standard dictates "bold, fearless and totally reliable".

Sorry for the rant I was so appaled at tonights show.
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right Laura. That just goes to show that the writers of that episode have no knowledge of the breed. They made assumptions that they are 'maneaters' Confused
Yes, they do get a hard enough time without that adding fuel to the fire.

I hope they were inundated with complaints.
Dan McK
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree. Staffies are great natured wee dogs.
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dog before Buster was a collie staffie cross. She looked very staffie like and the amount of people who would pull their children away when they saw us coming made me very annoyed as she was a loving little dog that wouldn't hurt a fly.
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and wondered myself Confused
Staffies are great dogs, if cared for and trained right.
They are also good with children too Smile
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never watch it but would def. have phoned in if I had seen it, really annoys me how people perceive some dogs.

I have trouble even with our lot, specially if people have small dogs, they pick then up and smile and say to me, your dogs will think he/she is a rabbit....like my dogs are that stupid Evil or Very Mad ...though ok Misty does have to be muzzled as I never trusted her with any dogs, not even small fluffy ones but that may have been due to her upbringing, we didnt get her till she was 8, but even big dogs she doesnt like

I hate how this is added to even more upset to the SBT owners its so unfair to be treated like this when out with your lovely family oriented dogs, if they had to do this story...which i dont agree with anyway....why didnt they use say a mongrel or even a wee cute looking dog, cause I have been bitten with a Yorkie but never anything else
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical BBC - cheap public service viewing.

Funding via a compulsory licence fee should cease forthwith - how many of us would opt to pay for the BBC?

Not only do their programmes appeal to a limited minority, but they are politically controlled as well. Sickening!
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:

Funding via a compulsory licence fee should cease forthwith - how many of us would opt to pay for the BBC?

Not me!!!!!!!!!! Confused
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me neither! i only ever catch eastenders occasionally and i can live without it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: