Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Vaccination
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Vaccination Reply with quote

Something I am interested in knowing more about. The first time I came across the debate over annual boosters was about 3-4 years ago. My friend mentioned it and when i got my dog I saw other bits on it. The vet behind the burns pet food also disputes the need for annual boosters. his words here. Its not a very good fact based article but does articulate the issue very well and alot better than I could just now lol.

I have had Ash vaccinated against my better judgement and also because I know he won't be allowed to participate in classes and I am not 100% confident either of my knowledge of dog health and workings or my ability to train a young dog. I good but I not that good lol.

Is there any particular reason why places like kennels and classes etc require proof of annual vaccination?
Humans do not require annual vaccination and the vast majority of human vaccinations have not only been tested on animals but have been grown on or include animal parts...which is one of the many reason my kids are NOT vaccinated.

So I just wondered how others felt, or if there is any further information others have on animal vaccination I could read over.

At the moment I feel I have made the right decision in having Ash's first vaccinations, however I have serious doubts over the need for boosters on an annual basis.
Enid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say makes a lot of sense Cassandra.

My 2, now aged 7 and 10 have always been vaccinated, receiving their boosters on time each year.

If that didn't happen, they wouldn't be able to stay away. Although they holiday with us, they do occasionally go off to to Barking Mad (we don't do kennels) when we have business trips. Up to date vaccination certificates have to be produced so we have no choice. It could be to do with current Health and Safety rules.

Fortunately, they have never had any adverse reactions. Perhaps I would find it more difficult if they did.

If I didn't ever have to leave them, I would seriously consider giving boosters a miss.
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think dogs should get boosters either. This is something John has read a lot about too ..........
initial vaccinations as puppies yes, but boosters are, in my opinion, a money making scam invented by vets ..........
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to kennel the dogs two or three times a year, frail family in Canada requires an annual or twice yearly visit plus hols abroad - or I would never have my two vaccinated. Like Marcella, I think it is a money making scam. Kennel cough mabey, I can see the thinking behind that. My friend wont even take her dog to the vet unless it requires something surgical, she sees a homeopath for her dogs and would never vaccinate and I have just been listening to her. I have never read into it though
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mum always vaccinated her dogs unless she couldn't afford too. so i have never thought to question he doing the same with Gypsy and Inca.

can you get shots for them that are just for kennel cough.
Marie & Norman Scoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Vaccinations Reply with quote

There is a requirement under Local Authority Licensing and the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 for all animals to have valid full/ booster vaccinations prior to entry to Licensed Catteries & Kennels.

Annual Boosters are required to ensure that the Animal's immune system has maximum protection against known killer diseases.

Boosters should be given annually or at least 2-3 Weeks prior to entry to any Licensed Cattery or Kennels due to the fact the animal gets a mild form of the diseases that they are being protected from to boost their immune system.

We cannot accept unvaccinated animals for boarding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In our 20+ years experience of both Dog & Cat Care Annual Full/Booster Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we as humans are not well we trust our doctor to tell us the truth!
I feel when I take my 2 that I have to totally trust the vet (after all hes done 7 years training)
we were told you HAD get boosters! So Ive taken it as a responsible owner I MUST get my dogs their booster!!!
Keano's always fine with it!
Coby on the other hand is sick 20 mins every time he gets a jag (they've only had 3/4)
I probably will keep getting the 2 of them their boosters only coz I dont know any better and if they did catch something I would feel really really bad!
I must say i am starting to loose confidence in vets though!! Rolling Eyes (apart from the young Irish boy/man at Mr Lawries Practice!! Laughing Cool Wink
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL dogs must have up to date vaccination certificate to attend the club.

There is however a school of thought that suggests that annual 'boosters' are largely unneeded as long as the dog is given the normal jabs as a puppy.

I do not suggest missing boosters..........I simply question things and like to look further into things!
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl do you know the name of the Irish vet? I agree he seems good,but he told me most collies come in biting and snapping and are always leaping about:evil: However I liked the way he handled Sam when he was really ill and that's what matters.

I've read a bit about vaccinations. I thought it was more or less agreed that you should have the first lot and then a booster but maybe not do it every year after that. Does anyone know if vets will test to check a dogs level of immunity?
The trouble with not vaccinating is that if every one stops we'll have more outbreaks of disease. I suppose its like humans. There's a risk with vaccines but the things they prevent are usually worse.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see peoples responses. They are the similar to the human vaccination debate (with the exception of law forcing to vaccinate in certain circumstances), but there is alot more information on the human one than the animal one.

I am not entirely sure but I believe that the argument of the diseases becoming more prevalent if everyone stopped vaccination is the same as for the human ones. The research and statistics don't take into account improvements in health, hygiene and nutrition over the same time period.
Also has there been any research into the actual effect of annual boosters or is this just one of the 'safe than sorry' ideas which have no scientific basis?
Has there been any research connecting vaccinations to genetic diseases (I know there are quite a few in collies for example).

For human vaccines the government has a department within the DWP all ready and set to up to dish out vaccine damage payments. So if vaccines for humans were as safe as they say they wouldn't need the funds automatically there to pay out for damages...would they? That would be something for the courts to decide on.

If the government and their experts have so little confidence in human vaccines, I personally have to question the entire system. We already know what priority the scientific community have placed animals into for the last century or so and there are still tests on animals being carried out.

If anyone has any info as to where to find research and debate on this I really would appreciate it. i spent months going through information before deciding not to vaccinate the kids and have a year or so to research this for Ash.
Enid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
Sheryl do you know the name of the Irish vet? I

Sorry to intrude - his name is Graham Leathers and he is good! So is Ian Shilliday, the Australian vet!

There are one or two others that I won't see though!!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self....when taking dogs to vet always ask for Graham Leathers!!! Very Happy Embarassed
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I must say i am starting to loose confidence in vets though!! (apart from the young Irish boy/man at Mr Lawries Practice!!"

I like Graham to he is "good" Wink

Please don't loose confidence in Vets I hope to be one someday, If I ever pass my A Level Biology Confused I know their are some out there more concerned about money than the animals they treat but they aren't all like that!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe they all are either but a number of things I have been told to do by vets I have spoke over with people from the club and they are just amazed by some of the info I have been given!

One example is... my boys have problems with some foods to high in protein and them having upset tummies all the time. I was taking them back and forward to the vets 3/4 times 25 pound per dog per time to be told there's nothing wrong with them its just the way they are!
To be told by John and other club members vets only study food for 1 week out of 7 years!

I phoned burns nutritionist helpline for FREE and going on their advise within 8 days I have Coby who is completely fixed and a massive improvement in Keano.

Twisted Evil
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into this and had some debate with other dog owners and a colleague who has 2 dogs, and she spoke to vet at the Galsgow Vet school who said that it was not required for dogs who had been vacinated as puppies and was puerly a money making scheme.

I know there are lots of opinions out there on this, but the bottom line is that if we want to participate in trainig classes, INSURE our dogs, kennel our dogs or show them then we must comply with procedures.

I am insured with "direct line" and they give you £10 towards boosters for each dog insured which is a help.

lindy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: