Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I twist this one on its head? The following is assuming that pet vaccinations are simply a money making scheme and that they are totally useless and potentially harmful.

All residents of the United Kingdom of Great Britain must have a lumbar puncture. This is a preventative measure to ensure the health of the nation. If you don't have your lumbar puncture you cannot go to school, college or university, stay in hotels, travel abroad. You will also be refused NHS treatment so any and all costs required for you must be met privtately. This includes all 999 calls and treatment arising from those calls.

To help fund this new scheme we will charge you £50 but if you register with some insurance companies and maintain the yearly lumbar punctures, we will give you £10 towards this cost.

incidentily a lumbar puncture is normally used in the diagnosis of meningitus amongst other things. It involves the patient having a large needle inserted into the spine and spinal fluid extracted for analysis.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

I don't think it's turned it on it's head. I think it's just confirmed what some people think.
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had puppy jabs, two boosters and after the first my bitch suffered awful skin issues and a weakened immune system after researching it more I haven't had them done in over four years now. I use homeopathic nosodes instead.

My friend has a 12 year old dog, wasn't keen on a booster so had a titre test done and the level of immunity was pretty much as it would be in a dog that had regular boosters - only this bitch hadn't been done for over six years. There were some cases of Parvo in England last year and over half of the dogs that died had been up to date with their jabs, one of the dogs that passed was my own bitch's grandmother. The strains mutate all the time so there is no guarantee the jab will prevent them from contracting anything. I know of many folk who have the initial jabs and nothing and have never had issues. It's down to what you feel comfortable with personally I wont be having any boosters again, if need be a titre test but no more boosters.
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to add, I have a friend who is a vet I was chatting about this the last time we met up. She said there is a changing train of thought amongst vets I believe a study was done in the USA where they agreed that boosters were not essential every year as the dogs tested all had antibodies two years after a booster so they had said every three years would be more appropriate. Personally I think that seems more sensible.

As I mentioned about titre tests, if anybody has decided through choice they no longer wish to have vaccinations, do an annual titre test every year after the last booster I think the results would be surprising.

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Westie receives NOBIVAC DHPPI and LEPTO 2, three yearly, and NOBIVAC PI and LEPTO 2 yearly - I think that's pretty much the norm if you have your dogs vaccinated with this brand of vaccine (NOBIVAC).

At the moment, I will always have my dogs vaccinated. They haven't had any bad reactions to any of the vaccinations and I would rather have my dogs protected from diseases such as distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and leptospirosis.

Just last year there were a few dogs in our area who had parvo, they were fatalities and we were being encouraged to ensure we had our dogs vaccinated against the disease.

Building up natural immunity from day one is all very well, however, imo, I don't think it will protect the dogs from most of the diseases i've mentioned above. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link Laura. Have added it to my favourites for reading later!

I am finding this amusing in a wierd sort of way, because most of my personal research has been with human vaccines, but the arguments both for an against are the same as they are with animal vaccines reading over this thread.

I belong to a forum that has some non-convential views on pregnancy, birth and parenting, and there is alot of it I personally agree with and alot of it I don't. I developed since getting pregnant with Andrew an idea of empowered parenting. In order to make the right decision for my children and family I need as much information as possible on various things to make that decision.

Same applies to dogs. Not everyones decision is going to right for each family but the information should be availble for people to make an informed choice rather than working on fear as a basis for a decision.

All the worst decisions are made based on fear. Whether that is fear that a vaccine may cause unwanted effects or fear that if you don't vaccinate your dog will get ill.
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occured to me yesterday....

As far as I know, most insurers won't insure a dog who has not been vaccinated or who has not had regular health checks, like the annual one when the boosters are administered.

I'm with PetPlan and I know if I didn't have my dogs vaccinated, they wouldn't pay out if I had to claim.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah we covered that one - if you read my post right at the top of this screen you will see how dictorial that one is.
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
yeah we covered that one - if you read my post right at the top of this screen you will see how dictorial that one is.

My apologies, I didn't realise is had already been discussed. Smile
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

My apologies, I didn't realise is had already been discussed. Smile

although it can be a pain...and I am by no means a patient person, if a post has more than two pages on it, its worth either posting that you haven't read everything previously and adding your point...OR reading the entire thread.

I admit tho that with threads with more than 3 pages to skip reading or just ignoring them altogether Embarassed
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
As far as I know, most insurers won't insure a dog who has not been vaccinated or who has not had regular health checks, like the annual one when the boosters are administered.

I just gave some pet insurance companies a ring and enquired about their position on non vaccinated dogs.

M&S insurance WILL insure dogs that are not vaccinated or have not recieved their boosters. HOWEVER if the dog contracts any illness that they could have been vaccinated for they will not cover the dog for those illness'.

Petplan again WILL insure non vaccinated dogs or those who don't recieve boosters. They also take the same stance as M&S that if the dog later contracts a disease that it could have been vaccinated for they will not cover that illness.

I suspect too that this would extend to any illness' that resulted from a recovered dog.

So with regards to insurance at least depends on your confidence and knowledge as to the natural immune system.
You would be covered for everything else. Possible exceptions to this are kennel fees (being that kennels want the dogs vaccinated) and travelling abroad (same thing)

it seems a pretty reasonable exclusion considering current vetinary thinking and I would hope it changes as vetinary science introduces common sense into its practises, research and study.
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

I just gave some pet insurance companies a ring and enquired about their position on non vaccinated dogs.

M&S insurance WILL insure dogs that are not vaccinated or have not recieved their boosters. HOWEVER if the dog contracts any illness that they could have been vaccinated for they will not cover the dog for those illness'.

Petplan again WILL insure non vaccinated dogs or those who don't recieve boosters. They also take the same stance as M&S that if the dog later contracts a disease that it could have been vaccinated for they will not cover that illness.

I suspect too that this would extend to any illness' that resulted from a recovered dog.

So with regards to insurance at least depends on your confidence and knowledge as to the natural immune system.
You would be covered for everything else. Possible exceptions to this are kennel fees (being that kennels want the dogs vaccinated) and travelling abroad (same thing)

it seems a pretty reasonable exclusion considering current vetinary thinking and I would hope it changes as vetinary science introduces common sense into its practises, research and study.

Very interesting, but good for those people who don't wish to have their dogs vaccinated. When I first went with PetPlan, I was under the impression that if my dog wasn't vaccinated then I couldn't have her insured.

I looked at the Nobivac website and I think i'll stick with their guidelines regarding getting my dogs vaccinated, I wouldn't take the risk of my dogs contracting something they could be vaccinated against.

Should my dogs ever take a bad reaction to their boosters (touch wood that they don't!), I will probably think long and hard about whether or not I have them vaccinated again.

Thanks for letting me know. Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting Cassandra!!!!!!! And good to know. Once again this type of information allows everyone to make an informed decision!

thanks for the input! thumbright
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nicola"]
Cassandra wrote:

Should my dogs ever take a bad reaction to their boosters (touch wood that they don't!), I will probably think long and hard about whether or not I have them vaccinated again.

Thanks for letting me know. Smile

first of all apologies for keep bring the kids aspect into this but its primarily where my knowledge lies and as I said previously there are huge parallels in debate on this.

Out of interest what would people consider a "bad reaction". A fit, seizure, skin flare up? The development of your dog being stunted either in mentally, emotionally or their physical well being?

My older two children had their initial vaccinations (up to a year old including the controvertial MMR) mainly because of lack of information and a nodding dog(no pun intended) mentality I had that the doctors were gods...
My youngest son who has had no vaccinations, not even the vitamin K vaccine they often give routinely at birth, is in comparison to his siblings more advanced. Far more alert and settled, he is also less ill. Of course I appreciate this could be down to a number of factors and I can't and won't discount the fact that my entire pregnancy, birth and personal circumstances were different.

With regards to the illness I often wonder what effect the vaccinations really do have on the immune system. Are they in fact helping or hindering it. Are man made virus' as effective at testing the immune system as a naturally created one. What damage could man made virus' and vaccines be doing?
I think that runs along the same lines as excessive anti-biotic use too.

This one is one of my mums theories. She reckons that the vaccination program implimented in humans has actually forced 'mother nature' to leap forward in competition, created mutated and more advanced virus' and bugs (MRSA, AIDS, Bird Flu etc etc etc)
If that is true what have we set out pets up for in playing god trying to stave off the natural order of death?

"Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man ."
Henry Adams
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not vaccinate if I didnt have to, I would get the first lot then not the yearly boosters

Although 2 of mine are vaccinated every year I am an anti on this but to do the things I want to with the lurchers then they have to be done

Misty and Scooby are not vaccinated, Moya and Pixel are as they are out and about more than the other 2, to shows, training etc, Pixel always takes a reaction to the booster, Moya doesnt, they are done at the same time with presumably the same batch so why one takes a reaction I dont know.
Pixel also reacts to Febreze, the few times she has come into close contact with it, she semi collapsed, she kind of shook, then dropped and for a few seconds was still, then got up as if nothing happened Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: