Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hyper
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Hyper Reply with quote

Tom seems to be so hyper in class and doesn't seem to do anything i tell him! Really frustrating when he does it at home! How will i calm him down with other dogs? He just seems to get so excited!!
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old is Tom?

Take him a good long walk before training, that usually helps a bit. Also getting him out and about with other dogs as often as possible will mean he's less likely to get as hyper when he sees other dogs.

As he gets older you'll find he will slowly calm down Smile ....... he's just young isn't he?
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto was a nightmare at puppy classes, did the exercises easy peasy (except recall!) but when he wasn't he just wanted to play with the other dogs and I'd say its only in last few classes he's calmed down.

I don't know which of the following has helped: moving to an adult diet, getting the knackers off, more interaction with other dogs and a firmer hand. Probably all of them.

He still has his moments (as you see when him and Tom see each other), but he's only one. A lot of it is just youthful exuberance!
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
moving to an adult diet,

absolutely! That can make a HUGE difference. Puppy and Junior foods are much higher in protein and can give some dogs too much energy!!!

What age is Tom and what do you feed him?
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feed tom Jwb Junior food! He is 8Months old!! Ive tried long walks we were out 2hours before class on Sunday off lead!!!!I really need to try get on the walks !!!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We noticed a big difference between JWB junior and adult...and put him on it at 10 months.
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone I will change him when he is 10months !! God that's so long away!!
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am sure it will fly by for you Alison Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's just a baby and will be exciteable for a wee while anyway! No reason to wait until he's 10 months to try the adult food, he's more or less fully grown now so I would have him on adult now.
We've never fed a dog on puppy or junior food beyond 5-6 months.... when we fed dry that is. Obviously raw is different. Smile
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
he's just a baby and will be exciteable for a wee while anyway! No reason to wait until he's 10 months to try the adult food, he's more or less fully grown now so I would have him on adult now.
We've never fed a dog on puppy or junior food beyond 5-6 months.... when we fed dry that is. Obviously raw is different. Smile

Laughing wish i had known about this sooner Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hyper Reply with quote

alisonD wrote:
Tom seems to be so hyper in class and doesn't seem to do anything i tell him! Really frustrating when he does it at home! How will i calm him down with other dogs? He just seems to get so excited!!

It could be that getting him around other dogs on walks could help Alison......if meeting other dogs became part of his routine it may not spark off this level of excitement.
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:

Would you say this for all breeds? As Tikka is 7 months now but i know for a fact she is still growing both in height and more so in filling out. I thought the larger breeds it was important to develop from puppy - jnr - adult as they mature far later? JWB suggest changing from Jnr to Adult not before 12mths for the bigger breeds?
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister's 9 year old collie taught Otto some manners - we've certainly noticed a difference as he's had much more interaction with family and friends' dogs.

Except the first few mins in the foyer Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only talk from experience, we've never fed a dog on puppy/junior food for that long. We've always found the protein levels too high and they start to get a bit hyper, so we put them on adult food.
If you look at raw feeding, the protein levels are much lower. Lindy has raised her Lizzy on raw and Fiona's Jake has had nothing other than raw ever, he was weaned on raw, so I can't see the need for excessive protein levels in their diet.

Joint problems as you know are rife in larger breeds. These develop when they are young because they are growing too quickly. The massive protein content in puppy/junior foods can cause them to pile on weight and grow too quick.
Fiona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
marcella wrote:

Would you say this for all breeds? As Tikka is 7 months now but i know for a fact she is still growing both in height and more so in filling out. I thought the larger breeds it was important to develop from puppy - jnr - adult as they mature far later? JWB suggest changing from Jnr to Adult not before 12mths for the bigger breeds?

Barry, Jake has never been on puppy food and he is now 9 months, his breeder fed him from raw straight away and I continued to do so when I got him. Jake is huge and I would dread to think what he would be like if he was on puppy food as the high levels of protein in them can make them grow bigger and way to fast causing larger breeds joint problems.

Jakes breeder has weaned all his pups for the last 10 yrs on raw only. He swears by it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: