Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hyper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try get him out more with more dogs!I always seem to miss the walks with work! Maybe speak nice to daddy see if i can get a long lunch! Laughing And change his food!
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a tough one - our breeder told us to keep keep him on puppy food until he was 6 months

The manufacturers also advise (probably more expensive!!) not going from junior on to adult till one.

But all dogs are different - if I believed them I'd have a dog that was starving.

The junior food was making him hyper and I wouldn't have even thought about it until John advised.
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to food, we had Holly on JWB puppy food until about 5 months, then switched her to the adult one... We're just using up the remainder of the bag and she'll be going to COMPLETELY raw when we get the Landywoods meat! Very Happy

PS: Wish you could pass on some of tom's hyperactivity as Holly lay down in class and WOULD NOT MOVE!!! Sad Evil or Very Mad
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is really concerning 'Hyper' behavior and not really about food, as for RAW just not for me, i like the dry and have found JWB works well althou I am open to change with regards to putting her onto adult asap? I just thought that they had the Jnr in between Pup and Adult for a reason, especially relating to bigger breeds!? Tikka is in my opinion not over hyper or active, sure she enjoys a bit of fun, and like most dogs of 7 months is still very much maturing and in need of a bit of calming down. So i,m now puzzled? Confused
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, I would say if it works with Tikka, dont change it. I would say if she was hyper and acting up then probably the protein is only going into giving more energy rather than growth but if she is calm enough then maybe her body is using it for the growth and wellbeing. They all mature at different rates and what works for 1 may not work for another.

I only know about feeding horses, Jazz being a native pony is a slow breed to mature so I was advised not to give him youngstock cubes, like you would give say a thoroughbred, also Dales ponies come from the rough Yorkshire hills so wont ever have been used to high protien and can make them grow too quick and give all sorts of problems. they can live on practically fresh air...why do you mostly see fat shetland ponies, their bodies were never meant to live on well fertilised pastures Laughing
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel like i,ve hijacked this thread but, as i say, does anyone else think it would be ok to put Tikka on to adult JWB just now? Is that what you were saying marcella? Can it stop her growth? Question
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
Feel like i,ve hijacked this thread but, as i say, does anyone else think it would be ok to put Tikka on to adult JWB just now? Is that what you were saying marcella? Can it stop her growth? Question

Barry It can't stop her growth, if that was the case Jake would be tiny and a bag of bones!! Thing about Jake is he is so laid back he is horizontal at times. I think this is down to eating raw and not puppy food.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Otto on Junior for a good few months, and mostly it was fine. I would say that by month 8 he was getting a bit hyper, but it could well have been hormones.

He'd more or less reached full height so had no qualms moving him over to adult and it seemed to calm him down, but as I said he also got his knackers off at the same time.

But Tikka is classed as a bigger breed than Otto, so if it ain't broke why fix it. Though I've always though not over-exercising bigger dogs was more crucial for health in later life.
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
I can only talk from experience, we've never fed a dog on puppy/junior food for that long. We've always found the protein levels too high and they start to get a bit hyper, so we put them on adult food.
If you look at raw feeding, the protein levels are much lower. Lindy has raised her Lizzy on raw and Fiona's Jake has had nothing other than raw ever, he was weaned on raw, so I can't see the need for excessive protein levels in their diet.

Joint problems as you know are rife in larger breeds. These develop when they are young because they are growing too quickly. The massive protein content in puppy/junior foods can cause them to pile on weight and grow too quick.

our golden retriever was on Beta Kibble and we took him off it because the protein levels were too high and were giving him urinary tract problems... after that he just went on to Chappie for the rest of his life.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry

I am not an animal nutritionist, so the only advice I would give is to follow the advice on the dog food you have chosen to feed Tikka. JWB is a respected brand, and I would expect them to have researched what advice they give. Puppy's are hyper by their very nature, if anyone doesnt want a hyper dog maybe an older rescue dog is the answer rather than a puppy.
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day Barry you can only do what you think is right for your dog. Rolling Eyes
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
At the end of the day Barry you can only do what you think is right for your dog. Rolling Eyes

Barry, I agree with Fiona... Besides, I'm not entirely sure I always trust the big pet food companies all that much... I mean they might say that their mean concern is your pet's health and welfare but at the end of the day, they are just out to make money.

Use their instructions as a guideline and starting point. But remember, just like people, no two dogs are the same so just do what you feel is right for your dog and trust your instincts. There are no hard and fast rules about this after all. At the end of the day, when you feed yourself, there isn't a scientist in the kitchen making sure it is "scientifically, nutritionally balanced" is there?! And yet you look healthy enough to me - even if your coat isn't that glossy Wink - It is just common sense really.

Lx
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not quite the same but because Cuthbert had so many gastric upsets when he was smaller despite being on Burns puppy food, then Hill's nature diet (both given adequate time) the vet recommended he go on to adult Chappie despite him being still 4 -5 months old and it not being specifically for puppies. He's thriving (apart from still the odd upset stomach which is not down to his "official" food intake).I think what I'm saying is the others are correct in that by and large pet food manufacturers are first and foremost interested in selling their product and as a by product setting up nutritional advisers who seem to be trained in which particular product in their range to sell you. Therefore they are not unbiased. All you can do is what seems right for Tikka judging by her condition and behaviour just as you would for your child.
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGDR advice is switch to adult if puppy hyper after 8 months. They will continue to grow for quite some time but growth is not restricted by adult or by raw feeding. We have had lots of starved dogs who needed to build up strength and muscle...

I am switching Poppy onto Adult Royal Canin Great Dane food - half and half for next 2 weeks, then at 8 months on to adult food. She is still underweight as she was a starved rescue. However, she is still on four meals a day. But, she is becoming too hyper and we need to calm her down so that she puts on the last wee bit of weight as she completes her growth.

She gets 1 meal of raw meat as part of her diet. As she grows to adult it will become 1 meal raw and 1 Royal Canin Great Dane food.
Barry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones input, as i said previously, alison, sorry for hijacking the thread! Laughing
Tikka has just reached 7 months so has still got plenty filling out and a bit more height to gain! For those of you who know her i,m sure would comment that she is not an over hyper dog/puppy! This i feel is down to lots of different things coming together to make her who she is! Tikka is not under exercised nor over, again this is in my opinion. We try to make a couple of lunch walks a week and she always gets at least one good stretch for an hour or 2 at weekends to let some steam off. As Tikka is one of the bigger breeds and with over exercise or off the lead exuberant play she could develop problems, i always lead her if she gets a bit too 'hyper' off lead! Twisted Evil I think i will stick with the jnr which we just moved onto 4 wks ago from puppy, and see how we get on! No 2 dogs are the same, at least we can all share advice to help as much our minds up! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: